Scimmy....like Scimitar

Scimmy

Hello all, 

Long time Sanderson acolyte but relatively new to the boards.  I've heard about the 17th shard for a while, but just never took the plunge.  Tell the truth I'm not sure why I did finally.  But as is typical for me I did not look carefully before I got going.  So I've actually posted in two other threads and PM'd a person before I decided to look around a bit and heya, there's a thread to introduce yourself.  I got started with mistborn, but I have read pretty much everything (translation: everything I know about) and done a lot of reading the hints and stuff that he leaks or writes into the books he signs.  I consider myself well-versed in Sanderson and I routinely convert others.  In the last week I have talked to three people and through a few minutes discussion found the right entry point for them and I'm very proud of this.  

Oh!  That's how I ended up here!  I had this awesome idea to do a podcast reading through and discussing the books and wanted to see if it had already been done and blammo, found out shardcast and cosmere conversations and sandersonian institute of cosmere studies and Mistborn spoilers and the cosmere deep dive.....so I've put that idea on the back burner like one of Rock's dishes to simmer and hopefully develop into my own unique take on it.

Uh, well probably should let all the many many people who will obviously find this and read it get on with their lives for a bit.  Always open to chat and such.  I'll talk about whatever with whomever, and I generally treat nothing as off limits so never worry about offending me!  Just talk and lets have some fun!

*Swipes right on all yall* 

Well in that case, I'd say you should join the Alleyverse! You can find us in the RP section! If it seems interesting, just make a character and jump in. Also: Join the Ghostbloods!

Edit: Oh yeah, welcome to the shard!

Edited by Ark1002
forgot something important...

Welcome to the shard, have an upvote and a cookie

4 hours ago, Scimmy said:

In the last week I have talked to three people and through a few minutes discussion found the right entry point for them and I'm very proud of this.  

As you should be, do you have a trick? Teach me your ways! :D

9 hours ago, Niteshado said:

Basic question: Favorite Character? Mine of all time is Wayne. But i do love vasher as well. 

Oh man, I don't know that I could possibly choose my favorite character!  If I started trying I would find a billion reasons why everyone is my favorite character.  Just now in my head I tried to just pick one from a single book and I went back and forth like three times between two characters before adding a third......I mean, maaaaaaaaybe Hoid cause I def feel like a watcher lots of times, but even then I immediately question my choice.

4 hours ago, The Forgetful Archivist said:

As you should be, do you have a trick? Teach me your ways! :D

The trick is figuring out what kind of things they enjoy reading currently and then presenting the parallel Sanderson book.  I even got a non-reader to try once by finding out what bothered them about reading until now, and suggested a novella.

3 hours ago, Sorana said:

If you could choose one of Brandon's kind of magic for yourself, which one would you choose?

Oh lordy....another nearly impossible question!  There is a series called Magic ex Libris by Jim Hines that deals in drawing the things from books out so I have actually thought a lot about this.  Basically, if I have access to the investiture and can power the abilities, then it becomes basically impossible, because I love all he creates, however if I'm following the rules as set forth in the Magic ex Libris series then I'd definitely draw forth a bead of lerasium to make me a mistborn since the power comes from a fusion of internal and "burning" metals.  It's pretty much the only one that could be done on it's own outside the cosmere in theory.

I might also consider soul forging because it's such a neat idea and I am one of those people that likes change but also doesn't like being stuck with something.  Being an Elantrian would be cool for similar reasons, but having no source would create issues.  Same with being a Windrunner, I already have the ideas down, but no stormlight means no cool powers.  Same with breath, and sand manipulation.  Being a rithmatist has a lot of cool things, but I don't much care for math and also I am a horrible visual artist.  Lastly, I basically feel like I already have a Talent and Aspects but just no control of it.....HA!  So there ya go, a little look into my weird brain

13 minutes ago, Ark1002 said:

*Notices his post getting ignored*

*feels lonely*

Is Brandon Sanderson your favorite author?

Hey now, nothing got ignored!  I just didn’t have time to look into this stuff!  I can write/talk about myself easily, but research takes time.  I’m no shallan to just jump into bed with a group without certain....assurances (sly face)

I think I’d say he’s my favorite because he is strong, creative, dedicated, and engaged.  I might like others but Sanderson is always the one I come back to when I want to reread something.  I enjoy the solid feel of his supernatural systems and that his focus is basically always on the flaws and limits which is what makes a great story.