Excessive Savantism

The Grumpy Elantrian

What would happen to a mistborn if they were a savant in all the metals? 

We know that savantism can become dangerous, but would being a savant in all metals weirdly balance eachother out? In a similar way to how Spook's pewter negated his tin savantism? Or would the effects on ones spiritual DNA be too much and the mistborn suffers woth big issues both physicslly and spiritually?

Are there any WoBs on this? Do we know more? I appreciate any further input. 

The Lord Ruler was supposedly a savant in all metals (that he had access to.) So it's probably safe to say that it's theoretically possible for a Mistborn. Though, without gold healing to compensate for any physical damage the savantism may cause, I'm not sure it would be a pleasant experience. Sure, pewter probably cancels out most of (if not all of) the pain they would cause, but Spook's senses were still overloaded by the sun, even if the pewter helped. In general, I don't think savantism is supposed to be portraid as a good thing to do to yourself.

1 hour ago, HSuperLee said:

The Lord Ruler was supposedly a savant in all metals (that he had access to.) So it's probably safe to say that it's theoretically possible for a Mistborn. Though, without gold healing to compensate for any physical damage the savantism may cause, I'm not sure it would be a pleasant experience. Sure, pewter probably cancels out most of (if not all of) the pain they would cause, but Spook's senses were still overloaded by the sun, even if the pewter helped. In general, I don't think savantism is supposed to be portraid as a good thing to do to yourself.

Pewter is your best bet here, healing won't fix anything caused by Savantism. 

Stormlight spoilers 

Spoiler

Questioner 1 [PENDING REVIEW]

Do all Soulcasters risk turning into the element or is it only those using the device?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

All Soulcasters have an affinity but the ones using the device are locked down much more than the Soulcasters who are Knights Radiant.

So they are protected from being turned into--

Oh no they-- I wouldn't say protected... *clarificaiton* Protected is the wrong term but that event, the savanthood and how it affects them and things like that is much less pronounced if you are a [Knight].

Or is that counteracted by the healing as well?

Healing doesn't have to do with it because-- in cosmere terms there's nothing wrong with your body, your spirit is actually drifting, and so it's not hurting you physically by what's happening with the magics. So it's not the healing but if you have an active bond with a spren it takes a little different path. Let's just say, in simple terms--

You are not losing body parts to smoke.

Yes, you are not using body parts to smoke. 

What timeframe does it happen for the normal Soulcasters then?

For normal Soulcasters? It takes-- I mean, you've seen it happening in the books. We are talking [about] a process of years even decades, depending on the person. It happens to some--

Questioner 2 [PENDING REVIEW]

Depending on how often they Soulcast?

It depends on how often they Soulcast, and it depends on the person. 

source

Healing is based off of your Spiritual Aspect, and Savantism changes that. You can't heal what your spiritweb says is working as intended. 

Just now, Calderis said:

Pewter is your best bet here, healing won't fix anything caused by Savantism. 

Stormlight spoilers 

Reveal hidden contents

Do all Soulcasters risk turning into the element or is it only those using the device?

All Soulcasters have an affinity but the ones using the device are locked down much more than the Soulcasters who are Knights Radiant.

So they are protected from being turned into--

Oh no they-- I wouldn't say protected... *clarificaiton* Protected is the wrong term but that event, the savanthood and how it affects them and things like that is much less pronounced if you are a [Knight].

Or is that counteracted by the healing as well?

Healing doesn't have to do with it because-- in cosmere terms there's nothing wrong with your body, your spirit is actually drifting, and so it's not hurting you physically by what's happening with the magics. So it's not the healing but if you have an active bond with a spren it takes a little different path. Let's just say, in simple terms--

You are not losing body parts to smoke.

Yes, you are not using body parts to smoke. 

What timeframe does it happen for the normal Soulcasters then?

For normal Soulcasters? It takes-- I mean, you've seen it happening in the books. We are talking [about] a process of years even decades, depending on the person. It happens to some--

Questioner 2 [PENDING REVIEW]

Depending on how often they Soulcast?

It depends on how often they Soulcast, and it depends on the person. 

source

Healing is based off of your Spiritual Aspect, and Savantism changes that. You can't heal what your spiritweb says is working as intended. 

I wasn't trying to imply that f-gold would heal savantism, but rather it would help to deal with damage that results from it. For instance, Spook was probably at risk of blindness due to his increased sensitivity. The Lord Ruler probably had this same issue, but it didn't bother him because his retinas would heal from blindness, even if the cause of it (savantism) remains.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know about how "power level" effects the rate towards savantism, but TLR had 1000 years to burn metal, so he might have been a full savant

theFinisher4Ever

Was the Lord Ruler using feruchamy + alchemy to soothe all of the people around him? Or was he, as I like to think, flaring for so long that he became a Soother Savant?

Brandon Sanderson

He lived long enough and used his metals enough (particularly Soothing) to become nearly a savant in every area, if not a full savant.

source

• Chaos locked this topic