Best compounded Metal?

Lightblood

So for those who don't know the act of compounding in Mistborn is when you have the same Feruchemical ability and Allomatic ability. By storing a little health in gold, for instance, then burning that gold you can store more health in your metalminds than you started with (Health being golds Ferchemical ability).

So I want to hear what the best compound of powers would be. I don't count other twinborn powers like Wax's Steel and iron even though they do work in tandem, they are not compounding.

Just a reminder of the dual powers

(Feruchemy / Allomancy)

Steel= ( Physical Speed/ steel-pushing)

Iron= (Physical Weight/ iron-pulling)

Tin= (Stores one sense at time (one per metalmind)/ increases all senses)

Pewter= (Physical Strength/ increases physical abilities)

Zinc= (Mental Speed/ Stokes Emotion)

Brass= ( Warmth/ Soothes Emotion)

Copper= (Memories/ Hides allomatic pulses)

Bronze= (Wakefulness/ "hears" allomatic pulses)

Chromium= (Fortune/ Wipes targets allomatic reserves)

Nicrosil= ( Investure/ Enhances targets allomatic power.)

Aluminum= (Identity/ Wipes internal allomatic reserves)

Duralumin= (connection/ Enhances next metal burned)

Gold= (Health/ shows your past self)

Electrum= ( determination/ shows your future self)

Bendalloy= (Energy/ speeds up time)

Cadmium= (Breath/ slows down time)

So lets hear what you think. I for one am partial to Chromium, being able to be unlimited lucky without having to be unlucky would be the best. As a wise man once said: "you can't beat luck"

The compounding Hack gives you absurd amounts of a given feruchemical effect, so the allomantic side of it doesnt necessarily matter.  Most of them would be awesome purely because you can End-Positive the Feruchemy is awesome.

Gold has been clearly shown to be just plain cheaty, and WOB says it will heal all kinds of damage both physical and spiritual.  Steel, Pewter, Zinc, Bronze, and Electrum are all great general enhancements, and Bendally, Cadmuim, and Bronze would potentially eliminate the need for Food&Water, Air, and Sleep respectively.  WOB says Compounding Identity wont do much, but  compounding Fortune, Connection, or Investiture will likely do various crazy things that he kept under a blanket RAFO for now. 

My personally favorite is Twinborn Tin (Im working on one for an Alleyverse character), because it's one of the few combinations whose functions actually work together and directly compliment each other.  Being a Tin Ferring would allow you to fill senses individually and so counter the main drawbacks to using (and especially to Overusing) Allomantic Tin, while Compounding removes the need to go blind, etc filling the metalminds.  And since the two sensory enhancements work in qualitatively different ways, there's still situational reasons to use both.

Steel Compounding for combat and just general awesome applications(you are literally discount flash that can fly).

Zinc compounding if you wanted something really useful in real life(imagine the capacity to riot and have unlimited mental speed like you are highpowered Bobby Fischer on all things not just chess). That would be really useful in the modern world.

Double Atium might be cheating but has immortality and almost like having future sight.

Edited by goody153

I don't know if this would be the best, but I'd certainly like double bronze. Think about this, has there ever been a time you've been perfectly awake? As in, no weariness at all. It would be like suddenly having all the energy of a child. Plus, if it compensates for the effects of rest you might get all kinds of bonus effects. While you'd never get to the point of tin or zinc, you always be far more aware of your surroundings.

Edited by HSuperLee

Before anything else, it's in your best interests to not accept Elephant Earwax' cookies, or anything else he offers. You've been warned.

As for the best compounded metal...

Gold is great, of course, as it turns you functionally immortal.

If available, however, atium would be preferable above that - you could die to wounds or the like, but you won't age, meaning you can extend your life span much longer than normal - the one thing gold can't do, as you'll keep aging.

Chromium is also potentially very interesting, as fortune seems to allow you to do some interesting things by knowing exactly what's going to happen in the future. Always being able to anticipate anything could be a very useful skill to have. With enough of it, you might even be able to emulate gold's effect in a different way - you'll be able to avoid getting hit in the first place.

Not to suggest that it is, in any way, "best", but I wonder whether being an aluminium compounder couldn't be useful for a world-hopper. Between all the WoBs about how burning aluminium could protect one from a Threnodian Shade's effects, and the mechanisms of something like Soulcasting being rooted in changing an object's Identity, could it be that an aluminium compounder would have pretty good defenses against outside investiture acting on them? For that matter, shardblades' supernatural cutting would be inhibited by something highly invested, so maybe they wouldn't affect as anything more than sharp bladed weapons an aluminium compounder tapping massively compounded Identity ?  I.e. magic resistance, basically?  And, apparently, burning aluminium could also burn away allomantic(?) metal stuck in your body, so it might be situationally useful in case of wounds, etc.

Conversely, I can't wait to learn how storing investiture in Nicrosil actually works. Like, if somebody Lashes a Soulbearer Ferring, can they store it instead and then use it later? Compound it, if they are a Twinborn, and thus gain continuing use of a Surge? Can Nicrobursts affect non- Allomantic investiture uses, for that matter? Depending on the answers, a Nicrosil Twinborn could be the best indeed... off-Scadrial. I chose not to consider here the possible avenues of exploitation that the medallions offer, since we don't really know what limitations apply, if any.

6 hours ago, Leyrann said:

Before anything else, it's in your best interests to not accept Elephant Earwax' cookies, or anything else he offers. You've been warned.

As for the best compounded metal...

Gold is great, of course, as it turns you functionally immortal.

If available, however, atium would be preferable above that - you could die to wounds or the like, but you won't age, meaning you can extend your life span much longer than normal - the one thing gold can't do, as you'll keep aging.

Chromium is also potentially very interesting, as fortune seems to allow you to do some interesting things by knowing exactly what's going to happen in the future. Always being able to anticipate anything could be a very useful skill to have. With enough of it, you might even be able to emulate gold's effect in a different way - you'll be able to avoid getting hit in the first place.

I find your Chromium comment interesting for instance would fortune act almost like Fortuity's powers of precog in Steelheart. In regards to Fortune The coppermind says, "related to luck, seeing the future, or versions of the future." Which sounds eerily like Renrarins powers with his corrupted spren. Although that is through the powers of Odium (his spren being corrupted by Sja-anat) we know forms of investiture can be similar throughout the cosmere. Another appearance of fortune is the form of Fortune that Hoid employs that lets him know where to be when. Though his fortune is fallible, sometimes going someplace where nothing happens, Imagine if you had unlimited amounts of fortune as a chromium compounder would. 

hmm...

Also this question might be for a different forum but what would happen if you Compounded with copper. Compounding memories seems like it would be useful. Because when someone stores their memories in coppermind it disapears from their mind so if you compounded copper would you just be able to remember it and have it in your coppermind or something else entirely. I don't know if there are WoB about this or anything but I'm curious what be the effect as it seems like one of the most end negative feruchemical abilities. i.e. store strength for an hour and then have 2x the strength for 30 minutes. But you store memories for an hour you can't have 2x "memories" for 30 minutes.

7 hours ago, StarrFall said:

Double Cadmium would be cool.  I'd move to, or found, the Scadrial version of Atlantis.

Yeah but you would be slower than everyone else who isn't burning cadmium to breathe.

Edit: Just realized you can probably burn cadmium without using it allomantically.

Edited by Yua999
Correction of myself.

9 hours ago, Yua999 said:

Edit: Just realized you can probably burn cadmium without using it allomantically.

Depending on what era we're talking (and availability of Cadmium), I'd probably burn a lot of it to Hoid out and rejoin society at a more interesting point: once it was space-faring :).  Then I could do some world hopping the long way (long for anyone outside of my bubble anyway) without having to pack much oxygen or food.  The allomantic equivalent of cryo-sleep.

Edited by StarrFall

16 minutes ago, StarrFall said:

Depending on what era we're talking (and availability of Cadmium), I'd probably burn a lot of it to Hoid out and rejoin society at a more interesting point: once it was space-faring :).  Then I could do some world hopping the long way (long for anyone outside of my bubble anyway) without having to pack much oxygen or food.  The allomantic equivalent of cryo-sleep.

I could see this as a future use for South Scadrian technology.

On 10-10-2018 at 8:34 PM, Inklingspren said:

double steel, so you can be the flash

Sorry to disappoint you.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/360-legion-release-party/#e10858

Steeldancer [PENDING REVIEW]

So if a steel compounder became an Edgedancer... 

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Oh, here we go. [Audience laughs]

Steeldancer [PENDING REVIEW]

If a steel compounder became an Edgedancer, how fast could they go?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

[Dramatic sigh] They could go quite fast. They are not going to ever reach superhero levels of bending reality for speed. So, I will say quick, but not thatquick. We aren't outracing an atom bomb, as the Flash periodically does. 

(I can only imagine @Steeldancer's disappointed face after this)

Steel compounding may not gain you reality-bending speed, but it does allow you to move so fast that you can fire a gun from multiple points around a room and it seem as if they are happening at the same time.  That's still really fast - like a bystander may or may not see a blur fast.  

Remember that f-steel would grant you some resistance to the physical effects the power (i.e. the friction) just like all other Feruchemical powers.