How hard would it be For Brandon to adopt the Reckoners into the Cosmere

SzethIsBadAsHell

I admit I have only comepleted books 1 and 2 . Perhaps book 3 will provide something that will change my theory . But , it seems to me that it would be simple to add this trilogy to Cosmere. In my opinion Calamity is similar to a shard. The gifted abilities are like investiture granted by shard. All we would need is for him to write era 2 reckoners , create a perpindicularity , and have Hoid visit for some Unkown reason and Tada , Reckoners is part of Cosmere . Why do we need this . For a long time I avoided this series’s because it wasn’t cosmere. Big mistake as it is very good and feels the same . What do u guys think. Would you like to see the reckoners join the cosmere

Brandon has said that there is no Earth or Earth equivalent in the Cosmere, so there's little chance of this happening.  Also, while there is some seeming similarity in how the Epics have gained their powers, it's not really how the Shards work.  Sure, we could just make Calamity a Shard we haven't heard of before, but the powers don't seem to follow anything in particular.  They're to varied and random, and don't require any fuel.  The powers in the Cosmere always have a fuel of some kind.  Allomancy burns Metals, Surgebinding uses Stormlight, etc.  In The Reckoners, the powers just are and have no need for fuel.  They break all kinds of laws of physics.  So I don't think it would really be compatible with The Cosmere.  

16 hours ago, Tglassy said:

Brandon has said that there is no Earth or Earth equivalent in the Cosmere, so there's little chance of this happening.  Also, while there is some seeming similarity in how the Epics have gained their powers, it's not really how the Shards work.  Sure, we could just make Calamity a Shard we haven't heard of before, but the powers don't seem to follow anything in particular.  They're to varied and random, and don't require any fuel.  The powers in the Cosmere always have a fuel of some kind.  Allomancy burns Metals, Surgebinding uses Stormlight, etc.  In The Reckoners, the powers just are and have no need for fuel.  They break all kinds of laws of physics.  So I don't think it would really be compatible with The Cosmere.  

Good point about the cost of powers , I didnt See one at first either .  However there is a cost , just not one you can immediately quantify . The cost is one’s personal peace  . The use of powers causes Epics to turn evil . How is that for a cost!!! Only by gifting them can they avoid it 

Well, for various reasons Brandon has said he's not planning to do it, for what that's worth. 

That being said,  the "Cosmere" itself is a particular finite dwarf galaxy, it's not a complete Universe in the traditional sense.  We dont know much about the nature of it relative to something Outside that galaxy or Before Adonalsium, but speaking purely in terms of Why Not reasons, you could always call Reckoner and Earth still part of that larger Universe and just blame all the Cosmere-specific stuff on the local effects of Adonalsium. 

Spoilering this because I dont remember if it was book 3, but Reckoners did also establish

Spoiler

multiverse travel to parallel, What-If universes, so that's another route you could take to the Cosmere "sideways" via a parallel world with different rules. 

3 hours ago, SzethIsBadAsHell said:

Good point about the cost of powers , I didnt See one at first either .  However there is a cost , just not one you can immediately quantify . The cost is one’s personal peace  . The use of powers causes Epics to turn evil . How is that for a cost!!! Only by gifting them can they avoid it 

I dont know how to respond to this without potentially ruining some really cool things in book 3, but indefinably definitely circle back to this when you finish Calamity

Edited by Quantus

Disclaimer: I know that Brandon has repeatedly said that Reckoner's isn't cosmere. This isn't a serious suggestion.

I think the easiest way to get Reckoners into the Cosmere is via the Apocalypse Guard. The premise of that book was originally touted as being teams of heroes jump from place to place in the multiverse, averting disasters. It was also originally set in the Reckoners universe. It would be easy for Brandon to work in a cameo. Something like:

Zoba: Where should we go next?

*Emma walks down the hall of doors. She opens one at random, revealing a planet of lava*

Emma: Nah. Too hot.

*opens the door beside it, revealing  the roof of Kredik Shaw. A confused Steel Inquisitor shoots a coin at her*

Emma: I like-

Zoba: Vetoed! Any planet with spike-eyed people is too far gone for us to save.

*Emma shrugs*

Emma: Volcanoes it is. 

The books premise allows for as many universe-connecting possibilities (or more) as Megan's Epic power. I think Calamity's resemblance to a shard is just a reflection of Brandon's writing style. There's a tentative connection, but it would be easier to just connect the universes via AG portal doors instead of trying to shoehorn magic systems into each other.

Edited by Archer