Email List and Submission Dates

Silk

Again, the work is already on a public site with a great reader system. And I am very confused. I read the submissions guidelines before even requesting to join reading excuses. Am I to believe anyone can just submit their work to the allreadingexcusesdotcom? What does that do, and exactly how do you stop people from just spamming to that link? What's to stop me from doing it right now, for instance?

@Curiosity's Splinter: You'll notice that people make requests on this thread. We have 5 slots open a week. @Silk is the one who approves them. I'm assuming if someone were to abuse the forum by spamming the account, they would be either removed from the list, banned from 17th Shard, or simply no one would review their work.

Generally all the forum users abide by the rules, as we are all interested in getting and giving critiques, and helping each other grow as writers.

Ah, so once the requests are approved everyone just waits until the day of and then send their work. That explains why Epoch Win appeared later than the other three in my email, I guess.

Next question. The formatting for titles on the forum are strange to me. What are the random-seeming string of numbers in each title for the stories? That is no dating system I recognize.

Also, thanks for the help! I'm not the brightest gemstone.

23 minutes ago, Curiosity's Splinter said:

Next question. The formatting for titles on the forum are strange to me. What are the random-seeming string of numbers in each title for the stories? That is no dating system I recognize.

Generally, whatever dating system works best for you. I use a sortable date system (year, month, day) so I can find things easily on my computer. Today's date would be 20180123.

22 hours ago, Chuck Hossenlopp said:

@kais gently reminded me that taking turns is a part of playing well with others. May I submit next week?

Sorry, I didn't see this yesterday. Looks like you got your submission out anyway, though? Totally fine, it's a quiet week and things get overlooked sometimes. :)

7 hours ago, Mandamon said:

Generally, whatever dating system works best for you. I use a sortable date system (year, month, day) so I can find things easily on my computer. Today's date would be 20180123.

Yeah, we've never been picky about what specific dating systems are used. Brackets or whatever you want to include is fine. That requirement exists so somebody can quickly eyeball a submission or forum thread and see when it was submitted without having to track it down (and also helps ensure we don't end up with identical file names week after week).

We ask for email submissions even when the work's already online to ensure our submissions have a consistent format, and because posting the works directly to an online forum can have ramifications for anyone hoping to publish their work with a traditional press.

3 minutes ago, Silk said:

and because posting the works directly to an online forum can have ramifications for anyone hoping to publish their work with a traditional press.

Truth! I've been seeing more and more agent guidelines saying don't bother submitting if it's been published anywhere, including just a blog post or Google Docs.

8 minutes ago, kais said:

Truth! I've been seeing more and more agent guidelines saying don't bother submitting if it's been published anywhere, including just a blog post or Google Docs.

Interesting! Blog posts I get but Google Docs is surprising to me. Or, maybe agents' concern is more about publicly available Google docs; the mind boggles a bit at the thought of a protected document constituting publication.

2 minutes ago, Curiosity's Splinter said:

Why ever so?

Presumably, because online documents are so widely available; even if a blog post doesn't practically get more circulation than, say, a local magazine that only publishes a hundred copies, it's possible for a huge audience to stumble onto it. It's the same reason that most publishers buy first rights to publication and many don't buy much in the way of reprints; they don't want to spend their resources publishing something that's already available elsewhere.

Sorry guys, I've taken a slot and I'm not sure if I'll be able to submit this week. I'm not feeling at all well, and rather foolishly decided on Sunday to combine two chapters which, of course, has taken much longer than I'd hoped.

Not sure if I'll manage any critiquing Sorry again.

11 hours ago, Mandamon said:

I mean, I wasn't going to submit in lieu of more revisions, but if we've only got one other for next week, I'll throw my hat in again. I can get some reactions on some other characters in the book...

Apologies, but mine is about 5500 words, if that's alright. It completes the next section of the novella.

7 hours ago, Robinski said:

Well enough to ask <sheepishly> for a slot for tomorrow

Glad you're doing better, @Robinski!