Steel Alphabet Rings

Pagerunner

Badalii jewelry, the company that does all of Brandon's licensed jewelry (like Allomantic/Feruchemical medallions, or Radiant glyph pendants) juat teased on Reddit that they're about to launch a new product. Rings, with custom Steel Alphabet phrases along the edge.

I have no plans on buying one, but now I'm wondering what would be a good phrase (and what would even fit). "Always Another Secret"? Perhaps "Metalmind"? Could you get "One Ring To Rule Them All"?

Well, that was quick. The rings are already up for order: http://badalijewelry.com/mistborn/mistborn-rings/steel-alphabet-ring.html

It is a 20-character limit, and Harmonium (used for "&," counts as two spaces.) So 20 characters could get you:

• All 16 metals and 3 god metals (20 characters) or 16 metals and the 4 "bonus" metal symbols that I can't get out of my head.
  • ALWAYSANOTHERSECRET (19 characters)
  • ONERINGTORULETHEMALL (20 character) (and that's "THEM ALL," not "THE MALL")
  • PAGERUNNERISTHEBEST (19 characters)

$129 isn't too terribly unreasonable for the sterling silver ring. The other two options are over $1400, so save that for a truly special occasion.

They have a key of which symbols go with which letters at the bottom. To correlate them to metals, if anyone is curious (spoiler for length):

Spoiler

A Lerasium
B Iron
C Unknown 1
D Copper
E Variation on Tin
F Malatium
G Cadmium
H  Unknown 2
I Tin
J  Unknown 3
K Bendalloy
L Zinc
M Gold
N Electrum
O Pewter
P Steel
Q  *sad trombone sound*
R Brass
S Duralumin
T Bronze
U Variation on Pewter
V Atium
W Chromium
X Unknown 4
Y Nicrosil
Z Aluminum
& Harmonium

There is no Q. (Bad news for the Quentins and Queen Elizabeths out there.) All four of the old Unknown symbols are there (although I didn't check ordering, so it's very possible what I called Unknown 1 was actually Unknown 3 on the old key, or something like that.) There are also two brand-new symbols on this list, for E and U. They are variations on Tin and Pewter (I and O, respectively), with the dot moved from the inside to outside or vice versa. Old versions of the steel alphabet had those metals pulling double duty: both E's and I's were represented by Tin's symbol. And that may still be the canonical version, for all we know; this may be creative liberty on Badali's part, for the sake of each letter having a unique symbol. But if you want a truly authentic ring, you should replace those vowels accordingly. (i.e. PAGIRONNIRISTHIBIST)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Chaos locked this topic