Hello!

I can't tell if your username is a reference to the Twilight books, or to Twilight Sparkle.

Either way, welcome! If you've read The Emperor's Soul, you might be interested in checking out Elantris. It was Brandon's first novel, and it's set in the same world as TES.

If you want to get a taste of Brandon's writing quickly, I'd recommend downloading Warbreaker. What's that, promoting piracy on the offical fan forum? No! Because Warbreaker- a standalone fantasy novel, and one of my personal favourites- is available to download from Brandon's website.

Alternatively, you might want to check out Mistborn: The Final Empire. That book suckered me in with it's high concept tag line: what if the Dark Lord won.

Haha, it's actually neither. I started using the screen name TwiLyght when I was fifteen, several years before the Twilight books were even published. Then, when the Twilight books came out, I'd get questions about when I was going to do a Twilight fanfic (since I was on FF.net at the time). So I changed it to TwiLyghtSansSparkles, which just added another layer of confusion when Friendship is Magic became popular. But, oh well. I like FiM and am not very good at coming up with screen names. 

Oooh, that Mistborn one sounds interesting. I had kind of fallen out of love with high fantasy, but a world where the Dark Lord wins sounds fascinating! 

You have some catching up to do... :D

Long story short, all his fantasy works that don't take place on Earth take place in a verse called the Cosmere. There are minor characters that move between the worlds and there is a whole back story to the pantheon and magic of the worlds.

most of them are. Warbreaker, elantris, emperor's soul, Mistborn series(Final empire, Well of Ascension, Hero of Ages, and Alloy of law), Stormlight archive (Way of Kings and Words of Radiance), and Shadows for silence in the forests of hell are all cosmere works. 

Haha, it's actually neither. I started using the screen name TwiLyght when I was fifteen, several years before the Twilight books were even published. Then, when the Twilight books came out, I'd get questions about when I was going to do a Twilight fanfic (since I was on FF.net at the time). So I changed it to TwiLyghtSansSparkles, which just added another layer of confusion when Friendship is Magic became popular. But, oh well. I like FiM and am not very good at coming up with screen names. 

Oooh, that Mistborn one sounds interesting. I had kind of fallen out of love with high fantasy, but a world where the Dark Lord wins sounds fascinating! 

In that case, I hope you don't mind if I call you Egghead. You might have noticed from the signature that I'm a little fond of it myself.

most of them are. Warbreaker, elantris, emperor's soul, Mistborn series(Final empire, Well of Ascension, Hero of Ages, and Alloy of law), Stormlight archive (Way of Kings and Words of Radiance), and Shadows for silence in the forests of hell are all cosmere works. 

That list sounds a lot more daunting than it actually is. Each "series" takes place on a different planet within the same universe. 

The universe has an ongoing storyline, and there is an underlying physics in how everything works; there's a common mechanic as to how all the magic works, for example. There are also some characters who appear on multiple worlds, and hints towards an ongoing story for the universe.

That said, it's all background. Each series is stand alone from each other, with it's own plots and characters. The hints of the Cosmere are more like easter eggs for fans who want to draw connections for the series as a whole.

If you're curious, the planets and their series are labelled below:

Sel

Elantris

The Emperor's Soul

Scadrial

Mistborn: The Final Empire

Mistborn: The Well of Scension

Mistborn: The Hero of Ages

Mistborn: The Alloy of Law

Nalthis

Warbreaker

Roshar

The Way of Kings

The Words of Radiance

Threnody

Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell

Spoiler-free... Mistborn would be a good place for a budding Cosmere egghead to start.

That's fine. :) 

I've dreamed of having an MLP-inspired nickname for a while now. 

Awesome, then. I shall start with Mistborn. I love interconnected stories when they're done well. The last few interconnected-but-standalone stories I've read haven't been that good, so I'd love to see a writer who does them right. 

• Chaos locked this topic