Crackpot Theory - Shardblades

maxal

OK. I do not have time to elaborate greatly on this, but I have been thinking about those Parshendi stones containing sprens they use to change from one form to another.... At the same time, I was thinking about Navani telling Dalinar the gems in the shardblades are not necessary to make the blades work. Then, I gave a thought about Sanderson mentionning the dead spren in the blades were incomplete and needed to be completed to be revived....

Well, do you see where I am going?

What if you replace the gem in the shardblade by one of those Parshendi stones with an embedded spren? Would that be enought for the "dead" spren to feel complete again?

Just some thought.

OK. I do not have time to elaborate greatly on this, but I have been thinking about those Parshendi stones containing sprens they use to change from one form to another.... At the same time, I was thinking about Navani telling Dalinar the gems in the shardblades are not necessary to make the blades work. Then, I gave a thought about Sanderson mentionning the dead spren in the blades were incomplete and needed to be completed to be revived....

I thought that she was saying that the gem didn't have to be destroyed to un-bond the blade from the previous owner.  I could be wrong though, and need to start a re-read.  We do know that the gem is necessary to be able to summon the blade.

The gems are needed in order to summon/dismiss the blades. They would just walk around with them before the people discovered using gems. Reviving the dead spren seems a bit confusing. Pattern suggests it would be possible if the Radiant that killed said spren was alive but at the same time WoB suggests that it might be possible to revive without needing the specific Radiant. I'm thinking that it may be like when Syl died and Kal "revived" her by renewing his oaths. The dead spren come partially alive when by syncing the 10 heartbeats to summon the blade, maybe it's possible that someone saying the oaths while the spren is partially alive could revive the spren via some kind of quasi-bond. 

I don't think having another spren inserted into a dead blade would revive them. That seems like spren cannibalism and judging from Syl's reaction to the blades I doubt the revived spren would think kindly of the person that did that.

The gems are needed in order to summon/dismiss the blades. They would just walk around with them before the people discovered using gems. Reviving the dead spren seems a bit confusing. Pattern suggests it would be possible if the Radiant that killed said spren was alive but at the same time WoB suggests that it might be possible to revive without needing the specific Radiant. I'm thinking that it may be like when Syl died and Kal "revived" her by renewing his oaths. The dead spren come partially alive when by syncing the 10 heartbeats to summon the blade, maybe it's possible that someone saying the oaths while the spren is partially alive could revive the spren via some kind of quasi-bond. 

I don't think having another spren inserted into a dead blade would revive them. That seems like spren cannibalism and judging from Syl's reaction to the blades I doubt the revived spren would think kindly of the person that did that.

I was not thinking about cannibalism, but more of completing the dead spren. It is missing a part and I doubt the ones stuck in the Parshendi's gems are complete as well. I mean, they are stuck inside a gem! That seems similar to all those spren stuck in their blade form...

I wonder what would happen if you were to replace the gem in the shardblade with the Parshendi's gem during a highstorm? Now what would that do? Who would attack who? Would the dead spren just take over and grab the parts it needs to be whole again? Or would it be the other way around? Brandon did mention that to revive a blade, you would need to replace the lost parts and say the oaths. Saying the oaths is easy, but what could replace the parts?

The reason they are called dead spren Blades is because they lack the mind of a Radiant. There's a symbiotic relationship between the two and I think it only works in one specific way. No substitutes will suffice. 

As for the WoB on this:

Q:  Is it possible then to reawaken a Shardblade if that blade is wielded by someone who speaks the oaths of a Knights Radiant?
A:  (Thinking)...Yes, but it would be extremely difficult.  The spren in a Shardblade are not trapped in a state of mid-transformation like the Elantrians.  They are stuck in an agony cycle after having a significant portion of their consciousnesses ripped out of them.  The Nahel bond is what allows Spren to think on [the] material plane and that has been torn away.  It would be like having a data jack installed and then having someone come up to your head and rip it out of your head.

That is the definitive answer and explanation on why what you propose is unlikely to work.

Yes, what is missing from the spren can't come from another spren, it can only come from a bond with a person. That's what got ripped away, and that's what needs to be replaced.

So it's possible that someone with a dead shardblade can revive the spren by living the ideals of a KR and saying the oaths. However, the person would have to be a candidate for the right order to match the spren.

Maybe if we combined a shardblade with a void-sphere it'd come back to life? Or maybe if we somehow took a cognitive sphere out of the cognitive realm and combined it with a shardblade, it'd give the shardblade identity and consciousness?

(inb4 Stickblade)

Has anybody ever tried looking at what a Shardblade looks like in Shadesmar? Perhaps all the shardblades' cognitive aspects are floating out in the spheresea of shadesmar, waiting to be found and returned to their shardblades or something. 

Didn't Sanderson mentioned you had to fix the broken part of the spren? You have to complete it physically? I do not have the quote, but i interpreted this as if just saying the words was not sufficient. You had to make the spren "work" before, you have to give some awareness of its surroundings. I thought if you could combined it to some other partial spren, than maybe you get something whole, hence my theory.

I dunno if it makes sense though.

Q: Is it possible then to reawaken a Shardblade if that blade is wielded by someone who speaks the oaths of a Knights Radiant?

A: (Thinking)...Yes, but it would be extremely difficult. The spren in a Shardblade are not trapped in a state of mid-transformation like the Elantrians. They are stuck in an agony cycle after having a significant portion of their consciousnesses ripped out of them. The Nahel bond is what allows Spren to think on [the] material plane and that has been torn away. It would be like having a data jack installed and then having someone come up to your head and rip it out of your head.

Here's a WoB for you all.

• Chaos locked this topic