where were the tranquiline halls

so i don't know where i got this idea from but i had the idea that the tranquiline halls might be from elsewhere in the cosmere rather than just from roshar.

my thoughts on where the tranquiline halls might be from yolen. i think that this idea came from the fact that all human life in the cosmere originated in yolen. i believe that at the shattering of adonalsium when the shards were created odium created the voidbringers. after that honor and cultivation took people and moved them to roshar to get away from the voidbringers but the odium and his voidbringers followed. this could be where the idea of the tranquiline halls comes from.

feel free to shoot this theory down.

Well, I think we have to consider whether or not the Tranquiline Halls actually exist. While much of the mythology in the Cosmere has some basis in the truth, some of it does not or has at least been grossly misinterpreted. Assuming that the TH myth is one that is rooted in fact, Yolen is a reasonable basis for the story. If so, the original truth has probably been distorted almost beyond recognition. Surely, the Rosharan afterlife isn't really a bunch of warriors gathering to take back the Tranquiline Halls. 

Now, it is possible that Yolen has nothing to do with the legend. Odium is based in the Greater Roshar system, but he's not on the planet Roshar. There's a chance that he wasn't able to influence Roshar for some time, or that Honor was not originally based on Roshar. If that is the case, I think it's most likely that Braize is the original home of Honor, and that is where the TH mythology originates. Personally, I think that's probably what happened: Odium chased Honor from Braize to Roshar, taking over the planet and subsequently getting trapped there during the course of their conflict.

That idea actually explains a number of things nicely. For one thing, when it is mentioned that Rayse is trapped in the system he is in, I at first thought it meant something like a magic system. It's a lot simpler if the author just meant the solar system. It also explains why there seem to be two different ecosystems on Roshar if one of them is extraterrestrial. And it explains why Odium was off on Sel, killing Aona and Skai. It seems odd, with his homeworld right next to another two Shards. But if Braize wasn't his homeworld, and he only got stuck there after he attacked Honor, everything makes more sense. 

feel free to shoot this theory down.

Nope, can't do that.

This theory has been floating around a lot. The Tranquiline Halls are mentioned in direct connection with Braize, a known planet in the Greater Roshar solar system. The main theories are that the Tranquiline Halls are Ashyn or Yolen. Ashyn, because it is in the same solar system as well. Yolen, because the Tranquiline Halls are described as the origin of humanity or something similar, can't recall the exact phrasing.

Other options that have been discussed: TH is Braize (see above). TH is the afterlife that Harmony mentions. TH does not exist and is a myth added by Vorinism. TH is Roshar prior to the Desolations (tranquiline means calm, aka less storms).

• Chaos locked this topic