Where's WalDo: The Kandra Worldhopper

Kobold King

Couldn't the Kandra female be MeLaan? She's still alive, considering that Alloy of Law occurs after the Stormlight Archive, she could be somewhere on Roshar observing and doing whatever (and she's an agent of Sazed, too). Also, since AoL had to be moved back in the Timeline because of a background conflict of some sort (MeLaan on Roshar, maybe?) this would explain that...

Now to find the relevant WoB...meh. 

Edited by Nymp

• 1 month later...

Danlan is my candidate. Would she really be thinking about replacing Elhokar with Dalinar after just a few weeks as a Kholin scribe? She's nonviolent (as far as we know), has a shady background, and has an "in" with both the Kholin house and the ghostbloods (a perfect position for information-gathering)

Like all the rest of Scadrial’s sapient races, the kandra were restored by Harmony during the Origin... In gratitude, the kandra transferred the Contract which they held with the Lord Ruler to the true Hero of Ages. The Faceless Immortals take no other contracts or serve any other master — only Harmony, for whom they now act as eyes, ears, and hands in the mortal world. The Faceless Immortals operate under a different set of rules with Harmony than they did with the Lord Ruler. First and foremost, each Faceless Immortal is strictly forbidden from revealing his or her true identity to anyone directly; their role is observation, not intervention, and their messages are guidance, not directives. Secondly, Faceless Immortals are forbidden from killing under any circumstances, particularly other kandra. Gone are the fancy True Bodies of old; now, all kandra live in animal forms, though they often take the forms of departed humans when needed. Finally, Faceless Immortals must carry out Harmony’s orders, whenever and wherever they are given — an edict none dare defy, for Harmony is the kandra’s prophesied Hero of Ages they had waited over a thousand years to find.

So all we need to do is find some seemingly intelligent animals who have attached themselves to important persons.

So all we need to do is find some seemingly intelligent animals who have attached themselves to important persons.

You may have glossed over the "though they often take the forms of departed humans when needed" part there. ;)

You may have glossed over the "though they often take the forms of departed humans when needed" part there. ;)

Well I'm proposing something specific there.

It is true that the shattered plains in particular would allow a lot of freedom of action for a kandra. However that has only been going on 5? years. And it may not get them as close to the action as they would like.

I general though high-ranking Alethi (and I suspect Vorins in general) soulcast their remains to stone, and lower ranking ones are burned? iirc. So getting bodies may be a chore.

Being an intelligent animal seems to be an even harder chore. High-ranking lighteyes just do not seem to own pets, and if they do they don't bring them to anything important. You'd be limited to being a horse, or possibly an axehound. On the other hand, they don't get around to Soulcasting bodies for quite some time. Sneaking onto a battlefield probably wouldn't be too bad.

Edited by Moogle

I was thinking of the Ryshadium

Exactly what I was thinking. The issue is, the two Rhyshadium we've been given extensive exposure to are Gallant and Sureblood, both of which are male if I'm not mistaken. The only other Rhyshadium we are informed of belongs to one of the other highprinces, with no name or gender specification. If Brandon has specified that the kandra is female, my bet is that she's in female form when we see her.

I was thinking of the Ryshadium

Well, the problem with this is, what's the point of being a worldhopper then? What valuable intel are you going to pick up on when you're stuck in a stable 24/7 and are in horrible danger the rest of the time? (Also, if bonds are indeed the focus of Roshar, it should give you powers of some sort when you bond a Rhyshadium. Kandra can hardly replicate whatever the horses give you.)

I just can't see the kandra being anything but a person.

Edited by Moogle

Has Zahel been mentioned?

I can see Lyatil has a lot of evidence, but hear me out...

Zahel is an Ardent (although not a devote Ardent) who has close relation to the highprinces, this means he can keep his Kandra codes (assuming he/she still keeps them), and be an influential figure to the highprinces. 

Assuming Zahel is TenSoon (as Tensoon, if I remember correctly- was one of the only kandra to survive, this also assumes Sazed hasn't made more Kandra...), that would explain his skills in fighting- he would have learnt from Vin firsthand.

(Also worth noting, what if the Kandra is disguised as an animal? Perhaps a sureblood, etc)

Zahel also mentions that he  his old age and misses his home  a lot... I understand its unlike Kandra to break character, but that seems to support my theory, considering Kandra have a longer lifespan than humans, and he would technically be very far from home.

Most importantly, the wiki refers to Zahel having knowledge of the cosmere, therefore- something about Zahel is clearly fishy. Either he is a worldhopper or is en par with a world hopper to obtain such knowledge (maybe he's on good terms with wit? :P). [http://stormlightarchive.wikia.com/wiki/Zahel]

It might be worth looking over the encounter... I may be over complicating things though... 

Seeing the references to Warbreaker, I probably need to read that to get the full picture...

Sorry if I'm just repeating infomation... x.x

I hope she isn't an ardent.  Do they do any background checks at all?  After Kabsal, Nazh, and Zahel, I will never trust the identity of an ardent again.  

:P No, they don't do background checks, apparently. It's even a common practice for ardents to take on new names. They seem to accept everyone.

Has Zahel been mentioned?

I can see Lyatil has a lot of evidence, but hear me out...

Zahel is an Ardent (although not a devote Ardent) who has close relation to the highprinces, this means he can keep his Kandra codes (assuming he/she still keeps them), and be an influential figure to the highprinces. 

Assuming Zahel is TenSoon (as Tensoon, if I remember correctly- was one of the only kandra to survive, this also assumes Sazed hasn't made more Kandra...), that would explain his skills in fighting- he would have learnt from Vin firsthand.

(Also worth noting, what if the Kandra is disguised as an animal? Perhaps a sureblood, etc)

Zahel also mentions that he  his old age and misses his home  a lot... I understand its unlike Kandra to break character, but that seems to support my theory, considering Kandra have a longer lifespan than humans, and he would technically be very far from home.

Most importantly, the wiki refers to Zahel having knowledge of the cosmere, therefore- something about Zahel is clearly fishy. Either he is a worldhopper or is en par with a world hopper to obtain such knowledge (maybe he's on good terms with wit? :P). [http://stormlightarchive.wikia.com/wiki/Zahel]

It might be worth looking over the encounter... I may be over complicating things though... 

Seeing the references to Warbreaker, I probably need to read that to get the full picture...

Sorry if I'm just repeating infomation... x.x

No. It's definitely not Zahel. For one, the community already knows who Zahel secretly is, and he's, well... not a kandra. He has life sense, which you can tell by how he felt Kaladin and Syl outside his door when Kal came by to ask Zahel to teach him.

On a related note, I'm actually sure that most of the kandra survived, not just TenSoon and MeLaan (All Saze had to do was put their spikes back in)

Iyatil as WalDo

Pros:

Known to be the babsk of a widely suspected worldhopper.

Flesh has displayed an noticeably fluid quality.

Has displayed skills in acting and deception.

Specifically refers to her mask as making it easier to "adapt".

Behavior resembles Vin, an individual known to be revered by the kandra.

Cons:

Is an assassin, which is both unlike Harmony and is possibly forbidden by contracts.

It is unknown whether a non-Harmony kandra would revere Vin, possibly negating the final pro.

All pros could be interpreted as mundane skills as opposed to racial qualities.

Two cons could turn pro if you think about the fact that if Iaytil is a non-Harmony kandra who still reveres Vin and imitates her mannerisms as well as joining her profession (assassin)

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it on this thread, but someone found a guy named Felt who might be on multiple planets and has made minor contributions to big events. I'll try and find the place and put a link here.

Edit: Found it

http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/20458-did-i-find-another-hoid-alias/?hl=hoid

Edited by LeftVash

Um, this one may be really out there but after i read this Q&A that maybe Taln is the Kandra worldhopper. Brandon says here that Taln might not be who he says he is, and that got me thinking that maybe a Kandra is impersonating him.

I know this is extremely unlikely, but I still thought I would bring it up as  possibility.

Edited by gjustice99

"Taln" being a kandra would be very... unexpected. Honestly, I can't see it happening. Kandra haven't been mentioned outside of Mistborn (and WoB), and having a major character be revealed as one doesn't seem to suit the easter-egg style of Brandon's cameo's 

Doesn't Taln have super fast reflexes...? I don't think a Kandra could impersonate that...

I'll note that I severely doubt that "Taln" is a kandra, but for the sake of argument...

The Blessing of Potency (or some as-yet unknown Blessing, to be even more speculative) might be able to account for that, if we're perhaps to credit "increased strength and endurance" with some secondary speed/reflex boosts.