Where's WalDo: The Kandra Worldhopper

Kobold King

The funny thing is, we've already talked to Brandon about Parshquisitors.

Q: Given that Investiture is Investiture, would there be potential Investiture of like, kandra to Parshendi using Hemalurgic spikes?

A: Hemalurgic spikes can be used on any planet.

Q: Would it be potential for Parshendi to develop a form using the spikes?

A: Wow, that would be a really weird hack of the magic system that would be theoretically possible. But that's a really weird one. I had never even considered that one. Parshendi adopting other Investiture could happen, the spikes is not one I've considered.

The funny thing is, we've already talked to Brandon about Parshquisitors.

Awesome! I wonder what other forms we can produce using Investiture. Give Eshonai a bead of Lerasium, and do we have mistform? Soulstamp Eshonai, and do we have forgeform?

But no! Diversion, distraction, etc. We need a new topic for this. :P

I nominate Sebarial as the Kandra. He doesn't quite fit with the idea of somebody who isn't very important as suggested in the OP, but he is one of the least important and vocal Highprinces and there is definitely a lot we don't know about him. He is in a position to hear everything important happening while being considered unimportant by the other Highprinces, yet has resources in the money he is making by farming and with textiles. Then again, maybe he's just a Herald... Or a regular guy. But who knows!

Doubtful. Not impossible, but I don't think someone with that big a role would be a worldhopper without us knowing it. Also, the kandra seem to prefer being more invisible than that. Sebarial may be rather unimportant for a highprince - but he is still one. And that makes him fairly important in Alethkar. Too much at risk.

I like Gaz better, but Upvote for "I'd bet my breath."

I'd like Gaz better if we didn't have a PoV on him that seems pretty consistent with how he acts later. Keep in mind that kandra might be great actors, but there are going to be a -ton- of cultural differences that kandra are not going to pick up on while worldhopping. Scadrial was a bit easier to impersonate, since the Final Empire was pretty much the same everywhere and the post-Harmony world hasn't developed extremely diverse cultures yet.

Remmeber Kandra cannot hurt Humans- That is part of thier law and thier rules! So if Kandra Wolrdhopper is someone here they cannot harm anyone..

Hum... This makes me think of Rock. He refuses to fight due to his culture... but that would be a great coincidence for a Kandra. They wouldn't have to give fake excuses about no fighting...

Also Rock can see the Spren even when they don't want to. Then again, this is explained as something somewhat common in Horneater's culture... But if he was a Kandra, he would be quite Invested, and as we've seen, Kaladin became able to see all of them when he became Invested, too.

Also a worldhopper Kandra would/could be familiar with Galladon, and possibly would have caught up some of Galladon's mannerisms... Which I dunno why but Rock always remember me of Galladon, like calling people "airsick lowlanders" instead of "crazy/kayenna". And no it's not 'cause their skin color. But anyway...

This could be nothing, and most probably is nothing... But I suppose it deserved at least pointing it up.

Hum... This makes me think of Rock. He refuses to fight due to his culture... but that would be a great coincidence for a Kandra. They wouldn't have to give fake excuses about no fighting...

Also Rock can see the Spren even when they don't want to. Then again, this is explained as something somewhat common in Horneater's culture... But if he was a Kandra, he would be quite Invested, and as we've seen, Kaladin became able to see all of them when he became Invested, too.

Also a worldhopper Kandra would/could be familiar with Galladon, and possibly would have caught up some of Galladon's mannerisms... Which I dunno why but Rock always remember me of Galladon, like calling people "airsick lowlanders" instead of "crazy/kayenna". And no it's not 'cause their skin color. But anyway...

This could be nothing, and most probably is nothing... But I suppose it deserved at least pointing it up.

Every guess is welcome. :)

I'll wager the not hurting humans thing probably no longer applies, given some things that happen in AoL

I'll wager the not hurting humans thing probably no longer applies, given some things that happen in AoL

It might not apply anymore. It might not be a rule now, but they followed that code for a thousand years. I bet it's quinda hard to break a habit that's buried that deep. 

But as I said, it could be nothing :)

Edit: Buried, not burned. What was I thinking?

Edited by Helwar

It might not apply anymore. It might not be a rule now, but they followed that code for a thousand years. I bet it's quinda hard to break a habit that's buried that deep. 

But as I said, it could be nothing :)

Edit: Buried, not burned. What was I thinking?

Also the prohibition is specifically against killing humans, not hurting them. Look at TenSoon

Or Dakhor monks. What gets defined as human?

Yolish heritage? A particular strand of sDNA? We know that kandra don't have any compunction about killing other kandra, so being formerly human doesn't seem to matter. I am curious to know how a kandra would interpret the Contract in an age of worldhopping.

I think if they still abide by the rule, they would tike it quite literally: Human is Human, but parshmen aren't human. Spren aren't human either, obviously. (which takes me to the question, would Kandra attract spren? we know parshendi don't. Have we seen worldhoppers attract spren on Roshar?)

If they don't have to follow the rule anymore, there is nothing impeding it. But if they do follow it by princples or just out of habit, they might extend the no killing to all "humanoid" species. Maybe? In any case this would be a case by case issue...

• 4 months later...

I asked Brandon what planet we saw the kandra on.  He said "You have seen her before"

-

So every book, so far.

-

I asked Brandon if the kandra was an agent of Sazed.  He said yes.

-

Better, we can cross Elantris and Emperor's Soul off the list. So that leaves us... Shadows for Silence, Way of Kings, Words of Radiance, or Warbreaker (wait, did Warbreaker take place before or after Hero of Ages?).

-

This is assuming it's not in an unpublished work...

-

Well, I was about to start a Cosmere reread anyways, I will start a list of ALL female characters (in addition to my other lists I'll be making), if we're assuming the Kandra is in a female body.

Well, I was about to start a Cosmere reread anyways, I will start a list of ALL female characters (in addition to my other lists I'll be making), if we're assuming the Kandra is in a female body.

I wouldn´t assume that.Granted, it seems logical that a female Kandra would be more comfortable in a female body but we have no indication that they can´t transform into a human of either gender.

Remmeber Kandra cannot hurt Humans- That is part of thier law and thier rules! So if Kandra Wolrdhopper is someone here they cannot harm anyone..

On the current status of the Kandra and their contract, the Alloy of Law supplement of the Mistborn adventure game has this to say (take with salt):

Like all the rest of Scadrial’s sapient races, the kandra were restored by Harmony during the Origin... In gratitude, the kandra transferred the Contract which they held with the Lord Ruler to the true Hero of Ages. The Faceless Immortals take no other contracts or serve any other master — only Harmony, for whom they now act as eyes, ears, and hands in the mortal world. The Faceless Immortals operate under a different set of rules with Harmony than they did with the Lord Ruler. First and foremost, each Faceless Immortal is strictly forbidden from revealing his or her true identity to anyone directly; their role is observation, not intervention, and their messages are guidance, not directives. Secondly, Faceless Immortals are forbidden from killing under any circumstances, particularly other kandra. Gone are the fancy True Bodies of old; now, all kandra live in animal forms, though they often take the forms of departed humans when needed. Finally, Faceless Immortals must carry out Harmony’s orders, whenever and wherever they are given — an edict none dare defy, for Harmony is the kandra’s prophesied Hero of Ages they had waited over a thousand years to find.

Page 261 for those reading along at home. The AoL supplement also talks about Rogue Kandra who weren't interested in the new contract, and made their own way, but that seemed less relevant given the one we're looking for is an Agent of Sazed.

MAG and its supplements available here: http://www.crafty-games.com/

Edited by Kadrok