Nightblood's Love Life

Patrick Star

Nightblood's Love Life  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Will Nightblood have a romance with one of our protagonists' radiantspren?

• Yes
    • They will become friends, but not romantic partners
    • No

This is a pure speculation thread about everybody's favorite psycho/sociopathic evil-killing sword.

So, we know that Nightblood is an awakened sword who is unique due to his sentience and large investiture.

We also know that he is practically the same as a radiantspren, as they are both slivers of a shard.

My question is: Will Nightblood fall in love with a radiantspren?

I think he will.  As of this thread, I'm officially shipping Nightblood and Syl (Sylblood?  Nightsyl?).

What do you guys think?

Nightblood/Adolin's spren, assuming he gets one and is a Dustbringer. It totally fits. Dustbringers do what is necessary to defeat evil. And their powers are very destructive. Therefore, they destroy evil. It's the only possible ship.

Nightblood/Adolin's spren, assuming he gets one and is a Dustbringer. It totally fits. Dustbringers do what is necessary to defeat evil. And their powers are very destructive. Therefore, they destroy evil. It's the only possible ship.

Yes. This must happen. One of the speculated Dustbringer Ideals is "I will destroy evil." This must happen. Yes. At the very least, they should be best buddies and Adolin should draw Nightblood.

Although, I would like to point out another shipping pair between two self-aware objects: Nightstick.

They are the Nightstick.

I agree that from what we assume a Dustbringer-Spren would be a good match for Nightblood, although I think Nightblood is to child-like for a proper romantic relationship.

Furthermore NB´s rather simple view on what is evil and what isn´t might just cause a good amount of Spren to dislike him, they are rather strict on their morals afterall. From Syl´s reaction to the Honorblade I´m thinking that she certainly won´t like him.

So...this is what happens when I go and be responsible and things...

I swear, this whole forum has erupted into a mad shipping ship. Soon, we'll be shipping everything under the sun until it explodes into a radiant, valentine fest! Even Jasstick or...whatever...*sigh*

Anyway, do we even know if Cognitive Entities can fall in love like that even when brought to the physical realm? I mean...sense you know they don't have certain...parts...and whatnot...?

Edited by Nymp

Nymp, on 24 Apr 2014 - 03:19 AM, said:

So...this is what happens when I go and be responsible and things...

I swear, this whole forum has erupted into a mad shipping ship. Soon, we'll be shipping everything under the sun until it explodes into a radiant, valentine fest! Even Jasstick or...whatever...*sigh*

Anyway, do we even know if Cognitive Entities can fall in love like that even when brought to the physical realm? I mean...sense you know they don't have certain...parts...and whatnot...?

The stick is a stick. Do not question its hardness stick-ness.

Edited by Kasimir

In all seriousness, does anyone think that we'll see a Nightblood interlude? 

Brandon Sanderson has said he's considered doing a Nightblood POV, so I'd say it's a distinct possibility. I'm inclined to think it would be in Nightblood (the novel) as opposed to taking up valuable space in an interlude. Interludes that can be better used giving us cryptic hints about worldhoppers and worldbuilding.

Brandon Sanderson has said he's considered doing a Nightblood POV, so I'd say it's a distinct possibility. I'm inclined to think it would be in Nightblood (the novel) as opposed to taking up valuable space in an interlude. Interludes that can be better used giving us cryptic hints about worldhoppers and worldbuilding.

I think if we continue with this new relationship the new Warbreaker book should be called "Nightstick: A love story" rather than just "Nightblood". Who knows it might even persuade Teenage girls that its a teen romance and they can join the Church of the Stick :D

If you call it Nightblood: Inter-species Romance, you could probably convince them that it is a vampire romance.

You might need the interlude to give Nightblood some character development in SA, after all, Nightblood will be set a fairly long time before SA and people cannot be expected to read every single cosmere novel.

If you call it Nightblood: Inter-species Romance, you could probably convince them that it is a vampire romance.

How about A Bloody stick in the Night: Conquering evil. I guess that's a bit gothic. Or maybe Destroying Evil: How their love "beat" destiny. I'm horrid at picking names. Especially romantic ones. I actually typed Stick and Nightblood into a romance novel name generator but I kept on getting "The White Enchantress" which makes no sense :(

You might need the interlude to give Nightblood some character development in SA, after all, Nightblood will be set a fairly long time before SA and people cannot be expected to read every single cosmere novel.

Just call it Nightlight...I mean...nevermind. *makes bad Twilight pun*

NB's character development (if we can call it that...) could be done through conversations with others (Szeth). Perspective isn't the only way to develop characters. Syl is a developing character despite that we never see her perspective, and so arguable are all bonding spren, they change and develop because of the bond, obtaining more personhood through it. I'm not really ditching the whole NB interlude though, since, even though NB can't worldhop himself, he's probably been...around the cosmere a bit so it could still be valuable in an intercosmeric sense! :P

How about A Bloody stick in the Night: Conquering evil. I guess that's a bit gothic. Or maybe Destroying Evil: How their love "beat" destiny. I'm horrid at picking names. Especially romantic ones. I actually typed Stick and Nightblood into a romance novel name generator but I kept on getting "The White Enchantress" which makes no sense :(

I found a generator and, oddly enough, got the title Sword of Sparks. I would actually read that. :D

The dynamic duo that is Nightstick sets out to destroy the Firebringers once and for all... and learn a little bit about true love along the way.

Just call it Nightlight...I mean...nevermind. *makes bad Twilight pun*

NB's character development (if we can call it that...) could be done through conversations with others (Szeth). Perspective isn't the only way to develop characters. Syl is a developing character despite that we never see her perspective, and so arguable are all bonding spren, they change and develop because of the bond, obtaining more personhood through it. I'm not really ditching the whole NB interlude though, since, even though NB can't worldhop himself, he's probably been...around the cosmere a bit so it could still be valuable in an intercosmeric sense! :P

Nightlight. That is hilarious. Have an upvote.

I really do hope Nightblood gets some character development. People talk about him as just "psychopathic talking sword", but I think he could have an awesome character arc of his own. I would love to see him treated as a character in his own right.

I really do hope Nightblood gets some character development. People talk about him as just "psychopathic talking sword", but I think he could have an awesome character arc of his own. I would love to see him treated as a character in his own right.

Like Hannibal Lecter :).  They're both psychopaths, they both eat people, they both have to be kept in an extremely over-the-top restraining system, they have both killed evil people, and they both have killed people who wanted to use them to accomplish a nefarious task.  And if Nightblood does fall in love with a radiantspren, they will both have had awkward romances with the main protagonist(s).

I found a generator and, oddly enough, got the title Sword of Sparks. I would actually read that. :D

The dynamic duo that is Nightstick sets out to destroy the Firebringers once and for all... and learn a little bit about true love along the way.

That is an awesome title. I also like the description as well. Though maybe they would set out to destroy the fire quenchers to restore the light of the world instead?

Nightlight. That is hilarious. Have an upvote.

Oh, a present, thanks good sir. ;P

Beyond clever puns, though, I think that Nightblood really comes off as psychopathic because of it's nature. This said though I think that the Nahel bond doesn't only give cognitive entities sentience and physical presence, it also gives them personhoid (humanity, so to speak). Meaning that Nightblood might develop more as a character now that he can form a Nahel bond. He can become more "human", and therefore more dynamic and perhaps more aware of what his command phrase means. My biggest question at this point concerning NB is who he can bond with and if this would bonding would be limited to people with Endowment's investiture...

Nymp, on 24 Apr 2014 - 10:57 AM, said:

Oh, a present, thanks good sir. ;P

Beyond clever puns, though, I think that Nightblood really comes off as psychopathic because of it's nature. This said though I think that the Nahel bond doesn't only give cognitive entities sentience and physical presence, it also gives them personhoid (humanity, so to speak). Meaning that Nightblood might develop more as a character now that he can form a Nahel bond. He can become more "human", and therefore more dynamic and perhaps more aware of what his command phrase means. My biggest question at this point concerning NB is who he can bond with and if this would bonding would be limited to people with Endowment's investiture...

Here, have an upvote for personhoid. I'd love to see Hoid and Nightblood sometime ;)

On a more serious note, I seem to recall a WoB floating around somewhere (although I can't for the life of me find it) that you get some kind of 'bond' (as Vasher did) if you survive actually picking up Nightblood, or something along those lines. Given that it would take some doing, but Breath and Stormlight can be swapped for each other, my guess would be that it wouldn't just be people with Endowment's Investiture.

More pertinent question ( ;)): Can Nightblood bond a spren? A Dustbringer spren? Think about it! He'd be the perfect match for a spren! We know most spren believe KRs are eventually going to break their oaths and kill them. But Nightblood's different. Sure, he's like a puppy--a psychopathic puppy--but he's never gonna give you up or let you down, or tell a lie or kill you.