Kaladin Will Fall

Invocation

I'm thinking that due to the whole "One might save us, one will destroy us" thing from the back cover of Way of Kings, plus Kaladin's penchant for sacrificing himself, plus even the darkness that Kaladin harbors (in all variations), he might be the one to fall and become Odium's champion. Either him or Szeth, for similar reasons. Thoughts?

43 minutes ago, Angsos said:

Whoever it is, it won't be Szeth, being he sort of already was for two books and being too obvious.

Not to mention that Szeth is kind of sworn to serve Dalinar, who just refused being Odium's champion. Szeth has already damned himself AND redeemed himself by keeping his oaths, so there is no question in my mind that he will NOT be Odium's champion. The only even sort of possible way he might end up that way would be if Dalinar joined Odium, and at this point I believe that's out.

Kaladin is the least likely in my opinion. He has a darkness in him yes... And most of it is self directed. If he's exposed to people they become "his" and deserve protection, be they lighteyed, dark, human or non.

Odium's entire game is pitting sides against each other. Kaladin's entire problem is seeing multiple perspectives and thinking that all sides are worth protecting. 

I'd need a very very good explanation for that turning to serve Odium. 

Hell, Kaladin hasn't even felt the thrill. 

Kaladin's darkness was self-loathing and him believing that he failed other people by not saving them. Kinda a complete contrast to how Dalinar was supposed to be Odium's champion as we have seen that Odium's preferred champions is like a overlord filled with battlerage.

And like Calderis said. He didn't even feel the thrill on Oathbringer and completely immune to it

I think we wouldn't want to be too hasty in interpreting that statement from the back of WoK. We aren't sure that one of our favorite heroes will turn evil and serve Odium (unless I'm missing something. However, I like @king of nowhere's explanation.

6 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

wasn't eshonai one of the four who will destroy? She was involved in the return of the voidspren, after all

Yeah, I don't really see Kaladin switching sides any time soon in any believable way.  He's all about protecting people, and Odium is...very much not.  Heck, it's pretty strongly implied that the reason Kaladin couldn't get to his fourth Oath is because he just can't give up on protecting people.

Although, now that I think about it, maybe it is possible.  Think the bargain made with Mr. T, but on a bigger scale.  "Hey, Kaladin, wanna protect all the people on Roshar from this senseless conflict?  All you have to do is help me get free...."

Though knowing Kaladin, he'd probably insist on protecting the spren, too, and then the agreement would fall apart.

Anyway, as far as the claim that "one of them will destroy us", I'd take it with a grain of salt.  It could be metaphorical.  It could refer only to the Aimians, or even just one branch of Aimians.  It could be speculation.  It could be wrong.  (It could just be good copy.)  Be careful what you assume based on it, is what I'm saying.

Assuming that this prophecy isn't foretelling something that's already happened by the end of book three, I'm inclined to think that whoever ends up being the one who "will destroy us" will probably end up doing so because they believe they're doing what's best *glares at Taraganvian*. Anyway, in light of fixating on something and trying their best to accomplish it, not realizing they're doing something terrible...Kaladin is a frighteningly good prospect.

On 9/12/2018 at 6:41 PM, Kal-Eldin said:

Theres a decent chance Moash become's odiums champion

I think this is the most likely. He has been on path that has felt as though he's only going to keep sinking for a long time now. The signs that he is a. not dealing with his pain b. ashamed to a desperate degree c. feels that he can't be redeemed, are all there. He hasn't even gotten over the pain of the first loss and the attendant hatred for Elhokar, his shame at attacking Kaladin... his feeling foolish for being used by Graves without even knowing what the heck he was getting into. Andd then there's what he does at the end of OB. He's not going to just do a Dalinar "You cannot have my pain!" any time soon. And the damage he's likely to do before then is a staggering thought. 

• Chaos locked this topic