Hemalergy and Knowledge

TheBFG37

Question

4 answers to this question

Memories and knowledge are a Cognitive thing. Hemalurgy targets the Spiritual

ccstat

Vasher uses Awakening in a very interesting way, off-stage, to modify the memories of the girl he rescues. Can Hemalurgy do the same thing if used carefully?

Brandon Sanderson

*long pause* No, I don't really think that it can. Nobody has asked that before, but just looking at the way the magics work, I don't think that is something that Hemalurgy is capable of doing.

source

Not really sure.  On Memories I have said almost certainly not: since they're something that can get stored as Investiture which is distinct from the actual functional chunks of Spiritweb that Hemalurgy is splicing.  However according to various places on the Coppermind Wiki, per the Adventure Game you can steal memories, Intelligence, and/or Mental Fortitude with a Copper Spike.  Not sure if that game is considered cannon though, it also has some unique things to say about the spiritual feruchemy that we've been RAFO'd on otherwise. 

Knowledge...is more vaguely defined.  There are examples where it definitely happens, if indirectly. You can, for example, Spike a divine Breathe out of a person, but not normal Breathes, and either method grants a certain amount of instinctive Knowledge of Awakening up to the 6th heightening when it becomes fully instinctual.  You can spike things like Connection from somebody, and And there are certain things that could be called Knowledge but if they are part of your core Identity enough they are going to be represented in your Spiritual Aspect, which can get pieces spiked out if you know how.  You could Spike out Connection to a place, which among other things can grant the knowledge of a Language.   Sooo... ?

On 9/7/2018 at 8:27 AM, Quantus said:

However according to various places on the Coppermind Wiki, per the Adventure Game you can steal memories, Intelligence, and/or Mental Fortitude with a Copper Spike.  Not sure if that game is considered cannon though,

It's not, with special emphasis on extrapolations regarding the Metallic Arts.

Phantine

Do the other uses for those metals [nicrosil, aluminum, duralumin] currently in the RPG also work in-universe, or are they just there for RPG mechanics?

Brandon Sanderson

Most of the things in the RPG books relating to the metals that you don't see in the books fall under the "We need to make a game out of this somehow, Brandon" clause. I've told them they can extrapolate if they want, but that I wouldn't consider their extrapolations cannon.

Herowannabe

So does that mean that these metals will be getting updated rules in a future RPG supplement?

Brandon Sanderson

That's a possibility. I've said before that you should consider any games you play to be in an alternate dimension anyway, where the rules work slightly differently, and your players can control the fate of what is going on. Plus, it will be years before I can get to the nature of all this in the next trilogy, so we'll see how relevant it all is in five years or so.

source

We've already seen this with the MAG's treatment of F-Nicrosil versus what's been canonized as of The Bands of Mourning, for example. And at a signing I asked Brandon about F-Chromium and didn't even mention the MAG when Brandon, unprompted, said that we shouldn't take what it has to say about that power as canon. Which makes more sense now that we've gotten a bit more information about the underlying mechanic of Fortune.