Question about the 10 honorblades

First off, I would just like to say hi to everyone. I have been reading these forums since I first read WoK over a year ago.  After just finishing WoR yesterday, I have spent at least 3 hours here reading over various things.

That said, I have read in several places that it is commonly accepted that one of the Heralds went back for their honoblade. Is that something that is found in one of the books, or is it something Brandseron has said? I went back and read the WoB and couldnt find anything on it.

So we have 7 Honorblades in Shinovar , 1 now with Kal , and 1 with Taln ( whether he is the madman or not)..which leaves 1 unaccounted for. Supposedly this is the one the Herald went back for?

http://s546.photobucket.com/user/j_p_a/media/65672860-0f24-4afe-94ab-6e754cb142ea_zpsace20309.jpg.html

Here ^^ It is presumed to be Nale.

“No, no,” Taravangian said. “I have learned this only recently. Yes, it makes sense now. One of the Honorblades has vanished.”
Szeth blinked, and he focused on Taravangian, as if returning from a distant place. “One of the other seven?

“Yes,” Taravangian said. “I have heard only hints. Your people are secretive. But yes . . . I see, it is one of the two that allow Regrowth. Kholin must have it.

This is from WoR, it is unknown if Taravangian is lying just to keep Szeth in line or not. I don't know if we have WoB on this. If he's telling the truth, then there's only 6 left in Shinovar by the end of WoR.

Edited by Ren

I have my own little question about the HB, does each HB give the user a Knight's Radiant Order's powers, or are they all like the one Szeth had?

Edited by CalebTheGeek

I have my own little question about the HB, does each HB give the user a Knight's Radiant Order's powers, or are they all like the one Szeth had?

Going by what Taravangian said about two Blades granting Regrowth, we can quite safely say that each Honorblade grants the abilities of a different Order of the Knights Radiant.

Thanks so much, I couldn't remember anything from WoR and I don't have time to hunt through the entire book. The wiki section on HB is also really in need of an update so I though this'd be a good place to ask.

http://s546.photobucket.com/user/j_p_a/media/65672860-0f24-4afe-94ab-6e754cb142ea_zpsace20309.jpg.html

Here ^^ It is presumed to be Nale.

This is from WoR, it is unknown if Taravangian is lying just to keep Szeth in line or not. I don't know if we have WoB on this. If he's telling the truth, then there's only 6 left in Shinovar by the end of WoR.

Thanks, that picture was what I was looking for.

If Taravangian is telling the truth, then that means there are 2 HB's missing

He isn't, he just made that up on the spot to maintain his control over Szeth.

I agree, that's more likely, everyone is scared of Szeth and none wants him on the loose with questionable beliefs and motivation. But we can't rule it out completely without WoB or the next Book/s.

I agree, that's more likely, everyone is scared of Szeth and none wants him on the loose with questionable beliefs and motivation. But we can't rule it out completely without WoB or the next Book/s.

I think we can rule it out completely, I think it is quite clear that Taravangian is making it up on the spot.  Notice how he orders Szeth to avoid Kaladin, right after Szeth say that he will kill him and take back the honorblade?  if Szeth killed him, no honorblade would have appeared, and Szeth would have known that Taravangian was lying to him.

I think we can rule it out completely, I think it is quite clear that Taravangian is making it up on the spot.  Notice how he orders Szeth to avoid Kaladin, right after Szeth say that he will kill him and take back the honorblade?  if Szeth killed him, no honorblade would have appeared, and Szeth would have known that Taravangian was lying to him.

Then how would you explain Szeth saying that if he dies the Stone Shamans will recover his Honorblade in TWoK? This means that the SS know how to recover Honorblades from dead bodies. If SS know, then Szeth must know too.

Taravangian is following the Diagram and his own plan. His top priority was for Dalinar to die as soon as possible. It's only natural to order Szeth to avoid any complications where he might get himself killed.

Then how would you explain Szeth saying that if he dies the Stone Shamans will recover his Honorblade in TWoK? This means that the SS know how to recover Honorblades from dead bodies. If SS know, then Szeth must know too.

Taravangian is following the Diagram and his own plan. His top priority was for Dalinar to die as soon as possible. It's only natural to order Szeth to avoid any complications where he might get himself killed.

I really don't see how one has to do with the other?  If Kaladin did have an Honorblade Szeth totally could have tetrieved it and brought it to Taravangian, who could then find a use for it to serve the Diagram.  However Kaladin does not have an honorblade, and Taravangian knows this, but tells Szeth the lie because otherwise Szeth would no longer be bound to serve the oathstone.  Taravangian wanted to maintain control of his tool.  Likewise he ordered Szeth not to kill Kaladin because that would show that Kaladin was not using an honorblade which would lead to Szeth no longer being bound to the oathstone.

I really don't see how one has to do with the other?  If Kaladin did have an Honorblade Szeth totally could have tetrieved it and brought it to Taravangian, who could then find a use for it to serve the Diagram.  However Kaladin does not have an honorblade, and Taravangian knows this, but tells Szeth the lie because otherwise Szeth would no longer be bound to serve the oathstone.  Taravangian wanted to maintain control of his tool.  Likewise he ordered Szeth not to kill Kaladin because that would show that Kaladin was not using an honorblade which would lead to Szeth no longer being bound to the oathstone.

I agree . Mr T knew what Kal was, just didnt want szeth to know. If we remember when Moash and Graves were going to kill Kal and Elohkar, Graves says

"The Diagram spoke of this. We missed it completely. We focused on making certain you were separated from Dalinar, and not what our actions might push you to become"

I think it is still possible that Mr T was telling the truth about the the Honorblade being missing, but still knew what Kal was and didnt want Szeth confronting him( even though he knew he didnt have the blade)

I just came across something and I'm not sure Ive read anyone else talk about this.

Nale used Regrowth on Szeth to bring him back to life.   DIdnt Mr T say that one of the HB's that was taken from Shinovar was a Regrowth HB?

Yes he did. Very good catch.

I don't have the book with me to look up the quotes right now but right after mr t sends szeth away he looks at the diagram and says that one of the bridgemen had bonded a spren and spoken the first ideal. he knew that kal wasn't in possession of an honor blade. but I wouldn't rule it out that one of the honorblades was stolen. because it says in that very page that he was fairly dumb that day. im not sure he would have made that up as well as he did when he was dumb.

• Chaos locked this topic