Spoiler Policy [No Spoilers]

Maffu17

It's seems counter-intuitive to me to label every thread and post with ["Spoiler"]. Why is the policy that spoilers should be marked, and not that the whole board should be marked [spoilers]?

We are after all discussing ideas on what we think the future has in store, or mining away at the text of the book to find the hidden gems of information. Haven't the greater majority of people here have already read WoR, most more than once, then surely we shouldn't be catering to the minority.

I'm aware as most people are that if you don't want a book to be spoiled you DON'T go on the internet while reading it and type in the name of the book, and if you must for whatever reason, the very last place you should go is the forum of a fansite.

Just wondered where everyone stood on this, as I get weary of reading posts pointing out there are spoilers in other posts, or titles.

PS

1 Bruce Willis is a ghost.

2 The Eagles come.

3 R+L=J.

4 The Train crashes at the end.

5  The White Hole is plugged with a planet.

6  Baby is extracted from the corner.

7 Sean Bean's character dies.

8 They're in a nature reserve.

9 The lawyer is Papa Justify.

10 The Dragon is reborn.

11 Bruce was always angry.

12 The island sinks back into the sea.

13 Harry lives.

14 Ed and Brad are the same bloke.

15 Bilbo makes it home safely.

16 They bury the locket he ate with his body.

17 Kote is a long-lost-Lackless.

18 There is no spoon.

19 The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed.

20 Streams crossed === dead Zuul.

21 It is all a dream, except for the munchkins.

22 It's Star Wars, but with dragons.

23 Len kicks Ted up the arse.

24 Will gives Woody his eyes.

25 The cake is a lie.

26 Rocky wins.

27 They escape greatly.

28 In the end, there is only one.

29 The streets aren't made of cheese, and there are cats.

30 Only the idiot savant makes it out alive.

31 The slumdog becomes a millionaire

32 One of the dolls dies in the attic.

33 We'll never find out, SyFy cancels the show.

34 The Clown is a macroverse traversing Spider.

35 GLaDOS is still alive, and is your mother.

36 The PI is the murderer all along.

37 He has no power over her.

38 She dies in the end. Then she goes to heaven and seeks out a man she spent less than 3 days with, rather than the father of her children.

39 Georgie boy gets killed.

40 Xavier gets crippled

41 Dr Kimble doesn't kill his wife.

42 It's not his mum, it's just him in a wig!

43 The aliens get a virus and die.

44 The aliens get a computer virus and die.

45 Jason goes to hell.

46 Mormons go to heaven.

47 Mufasa Dies.

48 The survivor Dies.

49 Brian Dies.

50 Aerith Dies.

and in the end everyone dies.

Edited by Maffu17

While it is indeed somewhat pointless to label anything under the WoR subforum as WoR spoilers, which is what I'll assume you're talking about exclusively, because spoiler markings matter everywhere else. It can be annoying to see them, but whether it's intentional or not, it does have a single useful feature. When some numbskull makes a thread with a super spoilery title, and doesn't realize it'll be visible from the front page, occasionally the enormous (SPOILERS) tag will hide the bad parts of the title from those who don't want to know. It's dumb, I know, but from time to time it has made a difference.

I think that the spoiler tag on the title of threads in the WoR subforum is a good idea, if only to prevent those who see the thread titles in the "New Topics" area or doing a New Content search from going to them and getting spoiled.

What has been annoying me is people putting threads containing WoR spoilers in the regular Stormlight Archive board, requiring tons of spoiler tags that just get annoying to navigate. The normal board is basically irrelevant right now, except for those who haven't read WoR yet. (And really, how many people here have not yet?)

I posted this same topic like a month ago or something. I'm so sick of it. It shows how little people pay attention to what's going on. New users are just excited to post and stuff like that, which is completely understandable, but moderators have made a point to post several times that the WoR board is full of spoilers. The description even says that you are going there at your own risk and there will be no pity for those who wander there without looking at the rules. 

GreyPilgrim makes a good point about the new topics list, another totally understandable concern, but at some point we need to consider the combination of reality and responsibility. The reality of the matter is that most people coming to this forum have either read Words of Radiance (most likely) or are coming here for another book and should understand not to browse the forums specifically for other books. Responsibility comes into play there, too. DON'T GET ON THE INTERNET AND SEARCH FOR THINGS IF YOU DON'T WANT SPOILERS. If you are that sensitive to learning the content early, be responsible and actively avoid them.

It's not the job of the community to make sure you hear things precisely when you get around to reading. This site already does a great job warning people without writing spoilers in front of every single post. If I seem passionate about this topic it is only because it is a small part that so easily displays the larger problem of people (especially on the internet) not taking accountability for their actions and expecting others to cater to them. 

Edit: http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/6752-you-do-not-need-to-put-spoilers-in-the-title-of-posts-on-wor-board/

Edited by Bloodfalcon

Originally, I had not been using them, but I kept seeing them around the forum that I started including them thinking I had misread the spoiler policy. I had assumed the spoiler tag was needed in the title for after the WoR page gets merged into the SA forum after continuing to see it pop up. I know that will be delayed for a good while to give people a chance to read it, so that isn't an issue?

Originally, I had not been using them, but I kept seeing them around the forum that I started including them thinking I had misread the spoiler policy. I had assumed the spoiler tag was needed in the title for after the WoR page gets merged into the SA forum after continuing to see it pop up. I know that will be delayed for a good while to give people a chance to read it, so that isn't an issue?

It's a good thought, but there have been a couple conversations on this and they decided that when they merged the two they would just accept that they are not considered spoilers anymore, so it would basically mean there is no spoiler policy in Stormlight Archive either. It makes sense, really. Give everyone a very generous amount of time to read the book where they have specific places to go for safe or dangerous conversation, then merge the two when you're confident everyone has had time to read. At that point, there's no new content (probably for the next full year), so no such thing as spoilers.

I've never even thought this was an issue - my own Threads tend to have rather generic titles, and other than the "Sadeas

" Thread, I cannot remember seeing any particularly spoilery ones. And while I do agree with Bloodfalcon, people should be able to at least navigate the front page without risking direct spoilers. That, however, can be solved better by the sysadmins making it so that Thread titles from the spoiler forums do NOT show up on the front page.

I've never even thought this was an issue - my own Threads tend to have rather generic titles, and other than the "Sadeas

" Thread, I cannot remember seeing any particularly spoilery ones. And while I do agree with Bloodfalcon, people should be able to at least navigate the front page without risking direct spoilers. That, however, can be solved better by the sysadmins making it so that Thread titles from the spoiler forums do NOT show up on the front page.

My first thought was along those lines too. In fact, I all but requested the admins edit the titles themselves, but I can understand that it's not causing enough of a problem and would take them some time. Maybe if there was.... I don't know, a certain marker on each topic that could be selected if it was spoilery... at least then there would be warning without having every title start with

. If you go through a couple pages and look for

, [Theory], or [baseless Speculation] (a forum favorite), you'll find a remarkable number. None of them are needed, so it is essentially clutter when you are trying to find a specific thread. Of course they are all discussing the information from the book that the forum is dedicated to. Of course you are proposing a theory or idea if it isn't a poll or game of some sort. Of course you are going to speculate on some things / don't want to get pounded for a theory you are unsure of. Tell us that inside of the post if you must, but it is all to be expected in every single post. 

I believe this problem came up back when Steelheart and the Steelhunt started up. The Admins, so far as I am aware, simply are not capable of stopping the thread titles from leaking out onto the main page, and I'm not about to tell new sharders to go away and leave until they've read WoR. The problem isn't the big "(SPOILERS) Sadeas dying" thing, it's that there's a spoiler in the title at all. Putting spoiler tags for WoR things inside the WoR forum is kind of asinine, and not really the problem here.

• Chaos locked this topic