Dalinar being thebest character

bdoble97

I loved the WOK bc of all of the battle scenes with Dalinar fighting the Parshendi. He was so badass. I was upset when I heard that Dalinar was not in WOR as much as he was in WOK. But I would say he was still in the book a good amount of time. WOR also made me like Adolin a lot more with his dueling and his few battle scenes from the shattered plains. But for me Dalinar is probably one of my favorite fantasy characters I have ever read. I mean I like all the other guys with Kal and Shall coming in a 2nd place tie and Adolin 3rd. But when I see the next chapter is a Dalinar's I have to read to the to get to his chapter. I just want to say Dalinar is so badass and I am looking forward to his flashback book I hope it has a lot of him being the black thorn. I just hope that he some how gets back out on the battle field to do some more badass fighting

Dalinar is a Radiant without shards and also a Bondsmith, as such i don't think he will do a lot of fighting, more likely he will focus all his brilliant wit and politically keen mind to do a lot of talk and schmoozing ;)

Being without Shards, means that his battles will be even more entertaining. He'll just use his abilities given by the Nahel bond. Shards aren't what makes the Knight Radiants so fearsome

For me, Szeth is the most interesting character to read about. They way his personality is set up, allows Brandon far more freedom to develop Szeth's character than everyone else in the books at the moment. He can literally take any direction he likes.

Dalinar, along with every other major PoV, hold the second place. I find them all equally interesting.

I too personnally enjoyed reading about Dalinar. He is a weathered warrior with a grim past who has come to realise his mistakes and is thus trying to teach his sons otherwise (or his son mostly as he does not seem to do much with Renarin). I was sad when he gave up his plate as it meant we wouldn't be seeing him fighting as much.

On the other hand, I was pleasantly surprised by how Adolin's grown in WoR. In WoK, he was just this nice but superficial boy stuck up with a grim and severe father with this impressive set of rules and no sense of fashion (oh tragedy, how ugly can those uniforms be?). In WoR, he started to grow up a bit. We see Dalinar is relying on him more and more and well, the duels were just amazing: him running around in panic calling himself stupid, stupid, stupid for allowing himself to be trapped into a 4 shardbearers duel was a great moment.

However, in WoK, the character I enjoyed the most was Kaladin. His story arc was compelling and I routed for thim the whole way. I was slightly disapointed with Kaladin in WoR as he came up whinny and victimised. Alright, we get it, you have had it rought, but you are currently given a huge opportunity and all you can do as whine some more about it? You were betrayed by TWO lighteyes and all of sudden, they are all untrustworthy? Sadeas didn't betray Kaladin, he was quite honest with him: you will die carying those bridges, but Dalinar was everything to Kaladin and yet he doubted him the whole book. Sight. I was glad he came around at the end of the book. I really hope to see a more happy Kaladin in the next book.

I didn't find Seth all that interesting. I do not care much for him as I see him as a simple villain. I am not happy at all to know the next book will be about him. I would rather have a book on someone from the Kohlin's family. There are all central characters whereas Seth is a tertiary character.

I too wouldn like to see a book focused on all of the Kohlin family members. I dont think that this will happen with Dalinar book I think we will a lot of the black thorn witch i am extremely looking forward to I also think that we will see a lot of Dalinar relationship with his brother I also think we will be surprised at some things that Dalinar has done in his past.

I too wouldn like to see a book focused on all of the Kohlin family members. I dont think that this will happen with Dalinar book I think we will a lot of the black thorn witch i am extremely looking forward to I also think that we will see a lot of Dalinar relationship with his brother I also think we will be surprised at some things that Dalinar has done in his past.

I think Dalinar's past is so dark it will make Adolin's petty murder of Sadeas looks like a tea party. I also think we may get to know Dalinar's past as he, himself, tells Adolin. We know the sons do not know much about the Blackthorn as Adolin reflects upon that in WoK. He wished he knew that man whereas Dalinar wishes to selter his sons from his past. Since I do think the murder of Sadeas will drive Adolin into a dark phase, it would be nice if the father tries to salvage it up by actually telling his son all he has been through. I think Adolin, for one, needs to know. Not Renarin though. I think that one is probably better of not knowing.

Also, I can't wait to hear more about Dalinar's wife. From the book, we gather that Adolin takes after his father, mostly. However, his social disposition is quite different than Dalinar. He is a social person and he has this desire to fit in, be accepted, have friends, etc. Renarin is the complete opposite. He is more on the geeky side, which is very unlike Dalinar, but his social disposition is grim at best. He does not seem to havde friends, nor want to have friends, much like Dalinar.

I have been trying to put a photo of actor William Hurt from the Ridley Scott Robbin Hood movie. The photo shows Hurt with a determed sturn look on his face. That is Dalinar to me. I look at Dalinar as trying to be the best leader he can be without trying to take full control from his nephew. Dalinar also reminds me of a police officer as trying to do all the right things but also trying to do them within the of the law that he follows from the WOK. Mabe no one els looks at him this way but as a Cop I see a lot of parallels of the frustration of trying to do the right thing by staying within the rules are given to you

Edited by bdoble97

• Chaos locked this topic