Is Odium already splintered?

shawnhargreaves

Re-reading WOR, the chapter 34 epigraph jumps out at me:

Our gods were born splinters of a soul,

Of one who seeks to take control,

Destroys all lands that he beholds, with spite.

This sure sounds like Odium, but I thought we had WoB that Odium had resisted too much investiture because he didn't want to weaken himself?

So how can the Parshendi gods (plural) (which I'm assuming perhaps incorrectly are the unmade?) be splinters of Odium?

Re-reading WOR, the chapter 34 epigraph jumps out at me:

This sure sounds like Odium, but I thought we had WoB that Odium had resisted too much investiture because he didn't want to weaken himself?

So how can the Parshendi gods (plural) (which I'm assuming perhaps incorrectly are the unmade?) be splinters of Odium?

You're assuming right, the Unmade are the Parshendi gods, for all I know.

I think that in the beginning of Odim vs. Honor war (probably Cultivation too, but I believe she's there more as a judge or 3rd neutral party, enforcer maybe, if you like it) Honor created and Invested in the Honorblades and made an Oathpact with the Heralds. In return, Odium Invested in the Unmade (or something like that).  

They're almost surely the Unmade, but that doesn't mean Odium is Splintered. Shards can create Splinters of themselves voluntarily. Endowment Splinters herself to create the Returned for example, and Honor/Cultivation Splintered themselves (possibly) to create the Nahel spren/Knights Radiant (Syl says she's a Splinter of Honor), and I'd also give a very high probability that Honor Splintered himself to create the Heralds (given how similar they are to Returned).

I'd also say that just because the Unmade are Splinters does not really mean they're spren. Rlain seems to imply that some of the ancient listeners gave themselves up to be 'unmade'. So... I'd guess that the Unmade are quite like the Heralds, though probably with their minds sandblasted by the ridiculous amounts of power Odium put into them. At one point, I believe someone theorized that if you were repeatedly Snapping, more and more power could be fit into you. So... if Odium basically rips the Unmade's souls apart, he could put a ton of his power in them, resulting the obscenely powerful Unmade we find. Nergaoul, for example, is capable of projecting blood lust across a good quarter of the continent.  TLR could barely Soothe a chunk of a city.

Edited by Moogle

• Chaos locked this topic