What happens if you Burn a Spike?

JamesTanm

We know based on compunding that it is possible to change the spiritual frequency of a metal through feruchemy. This allows the allomancy to power the feruchemical charge as opposed to the initial metallic charge, which leads me to wonder, what about a hemolurgical spike?

I know according to a WoB (which for the life of me I cant find) that you cannot compound another feruchemist's charged metals, so this may be a case of "It's not yours so you cant burn it," Still, if it where possible to burn that spike, would it power the stolen Investiture type? Could you power regrowth with allomancy and copy a gold compounder? 

I know there isnt gonna be much information out there on the answers to these questions, jsut wanted to get people's opinions

Welp, it is indeed a "It's not yours so you cant burn it," wort of situation. Thanks!

You can bypass this limitation with Feruchemical aluminum, though, so it's still a very interesting question about what would happen when you burn a spike. I'd argue that it should supercharge the spike's power, so if you burn a spike which grants Allomantic steel, you should (temporarily) be able to Push with TLR strength.

It might also permanently fuse to your soul, or enhance the identity contained within the spike, which would transform you into a copy of that person. Think Agent Smith from the Matrix.

If you could bypass that limitation, everything burned would be compound strength, albeit a more limited quantity as you cant make more. It would make for interesting ractions with other systems: What would happen if you burned The ability to soul cast? Would you be able to soul cast an incredible amount of material at once?

If you could bypass that limitation, everything burned would be compound strength, albeit a more limited quantity as you cant make more. It would make for interesting ractions with other systems: What would happen if you burned The ability to soul cast? Would you be able to soul cast an incredible amount of material at once?

Now I'm thinking of all the things we should get a Mistborn to burn...

A piece of fragmented Shardplate.

A piece of metal imbued with Breaths.

A piece of metal that's been given a Soulstamp.

An unfortunate spren tricked into becoming a small piece of metal...

INTERVIEW: Jan 10th, 2011

Tor Q&A with Brandon Sanderson (Verbatim)

MARU NUI

What happens when you burn a Hemalurgic spike?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Burning a Hemalurgic spike would have the effect of splicing your spiritual DNA to that of the person's that is in the spike, which would have some very strange consequences.

He changed his mind on this one, apparently.

It might also permanently fuse to your soul, or enhance the identity contained within the spike, which would transform you into a copy of that person. Think Agent Smith from the Matrix.

Ooh, good point, though I doubt it would really be like Agent Smith.  I would think the character would physically and mentally change a little to become like the person from the spike.  Eventually this would lead to complete insanity.

Hmm... hemalurgy has so many fun possibilities. Would the effect of a spike change if you used an invested object (like a metal mind)?

What about... what if you forged someone, and then spiked off the forged changes. Essence stamps seem to change your spiritual aspect after all (Emperor's Soul and all), so would you soul revert when the stamp wore off? Would it retain the tear? If not, could you use that process to create specific spikes in reasonable safety? If not, could use it to acquire interesting and unique spikes more easily? Spiking only takes a minute, after all, so you wouldn't need a full essence stamp just one that would last a couple minutes.

I also recall, since you brought up you can only use it if its yours. If a furchemist empties all of copper minds and becomes identity becomes Zero, than perhaps another ferchemist with idenity zero who is also a twinborn can burn an imbuned copper spike an become a savant.

Also i like all of the ideas of burning cool things no one thought of...

Also add to the list an invested item with breath from warbreaker- perhaps even Nightblood himself with enough.. possible?

Also add to the list an invested item with breath from warbreaker- perhaps even Nightblood himself with enough.. possible?

I'd guess burning a Breath-infused item is possible, but I would not want Nightblood touching any part of me. Call me paranoid. :P

As to the Breath-infused piece of metal, if it acts like Feruchemy, Preservation's Investiture might temporarily supercharge the Command given to the item. So, swallow a bronze statuette you told to "hold when throw" and suddenly you will be forced to hold on to whatever you're near if you jump up in the air. Or perhaps the Investiture would copy the Breath, and you'd temporarily get enhanced lifesense and other benefits of holding Breath.

It's really a fascinating question. I really want crossover books. Fortunately, Stormlight looks to be heading in that direction.

Edited by Moogle

I believe Brandon has said that Stormlight will still be able to stand alone. That said, we've seen a lot of cosmere references, and there seems to be a lot of different players. I can't wait for the Mistborn Space Opera, where we know there will be significant contact between the cosmere planets.

Hmm... hemalurgy has so many fun possibilities. Would the effect of a spike change if you used an invested object (like a metal mind)?

What about... what if you forged someone, and then spiked off the forged changes. Essence stamps seem to change your spiritual aspect after all (Emperor's Soul and all), so would you soul revert when the stamp wore off? Would it retain the tear? If not, could you use that process to create specific spikes in reasonable safety? If not, could use it to acquire interesting and unique spikes more easily? Spiking only takes a minute, after all, so you wouldn't need a full essence stamp just one that would last a couple minutes.

The problem with using an Invested object as a spike is that it's already Invested, and there seems to be an upper limit on how much of a charge anything can take. Using Nightblood as an example, which we know is a highly Invested object, we can theorize that most materials won't soak up much more than a thousand Breaths. It makes me wonder what the ratio between Stormlight and Breath is, and how that relates to things like Allomancy or more specifically Feruchemy. Is one Breath equal to five hours of strength? Ten? Two hundred? I wonder if we'll get a Feruchemist that uses a sword as a metalmind, we might find out.

Hemalurgy doesn't seem to take much Investiture at all, however. A pin or earring can hold just as much as you can get with a giant metal stake. A metalmind, which is hardly Invested too, should easily fit a hemalurgic charge. I believe we've even got a WoB about some Inquisitors using their spikes as metalminds. A Forged spike, or one engraved with an Aon, could probably work too. You'll only start seeing problems once you reach the Nightblood or Shardblade level.

I do believe Breath is equivalent to stormlight in other worlds. So i assume many of these properties do not take on others ablities but just feeds on it. So holding breath - is the same as holding stormlight- same as burning copper. That being said having multiple abilties and crossing over with them would be cool- or as Sanderson would put it "have some strange possibilies"

Hemalurgy doesn't seem to take much Investiture at all, however. A pin or earring can hold just as much as you can get with a giant metal stake. A metalmind, which is hardly Invested too, should easily fit a hemalurgic charge. I believe we've even got a WoB about some Inquisitors using their spikes as metalminds. A Forged spike, or one engraved with an Aon, could probably work too. You'll only start seeing problems once you reach the Nightblood or Shardblade level.

I'd wager a spike has about as much Investiture as something with a single Breath in it. Storing things, however, probably adds Investiture in some kind of ratio to how much you have stored, and probably what it is. I'd imagine Feruchemical gold might require more Investiture to work than Feruchemical iron, for example.

• Chaos locked this topic