the 5TH book?

(I'm sorry for my terrible English writing. I'm an Asian and I'm not good at English)

Is there will be the 5th book of Alcatraz series? After reading the "Annotation Alcatraz" in the website, it seems that Sanderson do not want to give an end to the series. Do anyone asked him about the 5th book?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I am guessing the most secrets of the book will be revealed in the finale, I am thinking that giant crystal spike is key to something. A civilisation of power concerning crystals, yet no mention of a link to a world spike that is an orbital tower. USing crystal tech, it could easily be an orbital elevator.

THe smedry talents were bound involving the worldspike or the mid crystal of the knights, this i gues due to after his talent shared with the knights, the talents stoped working.

Occulators are the descendants of those from the ancienct civilsation, or those that once had talents. Or simply descendants of the smedry bloodline, that has passed outside of the mainline.

There are apparently 7 types of talent according to the incarna, time, space, matter, knowledge, chance identity, and breaking. I am wondering are the librarians linked by anything, because what if he breaks their identity of being librarians. We have seen time, matter, knowledge, being broken. What better place than at their headquaters? Strike at the heart of hte 4 orders.

Brandon finished the first draft of the last book a month or so ago and it will likely be out next spring-ish.  Tor is putting out re-releases of the first four with new art and stuff and the fifth will likely be coinciding with that.

wow! that's the sanderson book i was looking forward to, even more than stormlight 3 or rithmatist 2 (mainly because those books have some good resolution at the end, while alcatraz 4 has the kind of ending that forces you to read on... yet another proof that alcatraz is not a good person).

Anyway, if he finished the first draft, why isn't it mentioned in the advanccement bars in his site? I see firefight, sixth of the dusk, legion skin deep and rithmatist 2, but not mention of alcatraz 5. Is it to avoid librarian detection?

Probably because he updated the advancement bars for the drafts of newer books. I'm still not sure why Sixth of the Dusk is on there after being published, but it seems the bar's been kind of wonky lately.

Tor has the rights to them now? A couple years ago or so he said book 5 would be on his website after taking the rights back from Scholastic, but now it sounds like it's going to have a physical copy.

Tor has the rights to them now? A couple years ago or so he said book 5 would be on his website after taking the rights back from Scholastic, but now it sounds like it's going to have a physical copy.

Correct, Brandon bought the rights back from Scholastic (he was never really happy with the effort, or lack thereof, they put into the series, and they didn't want to do the fifth book) and he did sell them to Tor so they could do re-releases and stuff.  The website release was an idea because he didn't know whether Tor would want them.

Correct, Brandon bought the rights back from Scholastic (he was never really happy with the effort, or lack thereof, they put into the series, and they didn't want to do the fifth book) and he did sell them to Tor so they could do re-releases and stuff.  The website release was an idea because he didn't know whether Tor would want them.

by the way, that make me think: why did he publish alcatraz with scholastic instead of with tor like everything else he ever wrote? was it maybe a time when tor  was having financial troubles?

Well, Steelheart was published by Delacorte Press, so maybe he was trying to branch out. After all, Tor was still publishing Wheel of Time as well, and I haven't seen any signs of financial trouble from them. He could've just been making sure they don't get a monopoly on his books.

I think Scholastic just made a better bid when he was shopping it around, I also want to say Tor wasn't interested at that time.  Remember this was back before Brandon got signed on to finish the Wheel of Time, he wasn't nearly as popular as he is now.  When the first Alcatraz was written the only book that was out was Elantris (he wrote it between TFE and WoA if I remember correctly).

• 3 weeks later...