Theory: Hoid wrote the letter in tWoK

Chaos

But if I recall correctly, the ones who had already transformed gradually decayed and died. That's what Zas was referring to. (It's hard to be stuck halfway through your transformation if you're already fully transformed - However, they can die, and did, as evidenced by the fact that there weren't a whole bunch of shiny people walking around throughout Elantris)

No, as far as we can tell the Elantrians who were Elantrians when the Reod hit became half-formed quasi-lepers, just like everybody else who transformed afterwords.  Case in point is the Hoed who led Raoden to the pool, as well as several references to Elantrians being killed after the change came.

I'm not certain this answers all the questions.  My assumption is that Raoden isn't completely right, and that the Dor is needed to maintain the transformation even after it has finished.

That.... actually makes sense. Most excellent. It was actually kind of bothering my that there weren't Elantrians from before the Reod.

Not really. There's a bit of discussion about it going on here over the matter, but nothing's really been confirmed.

I personally am nearly positive that it's not Sazed, but I'll let you read my reasoning over there, and try to keep this thread at least a little bit on track.

I agree that Elantians would have to hold splinters of shards. I mean, after all Aona was destroyed just like the Almighty and the Almighty splintered and his power went to swords and armor. Why couldn't it go into people to?

You don't know that his power went into the Shardblades. That's conjecture.

Though, admittedly, conjecture that's within the realm of possibility. The name Shardblade does seem to imply some sort of connection, though I don't know that it's that direct.

Well, that theory does not explain the Dawnblades, for one thing...

True enough. That doesn't mean it isn't possible.

Note that I'm only resorting to this argument because I really have absolutely no support to back the theory. Nor do I actually really think it's the most likely possibility. But hey, it's still a valid point, right?

Well, the Shardblades came from somewhere, and they are fueled by Stormlight.  I think that the term "Shard" in the name should mean something.  Being essentially divine gifts or something like that would make a certain amount of sense.  There's not a lot of evidence, but it isn't unreasonable, or completely off the wall.

• 1 month later...

I think that the letter in tWoK was written by Hoid and directed to Sazed.

Since Hoid seems to have an unhealthy obsession with the Shards, it seems likely that he would have sought out Sazed after he took up the powers of Preservation and Ruin. Based on what's in the letter, Hoid may have taken it upon himself to run a little 'Shardbearer' orientation to give Sazed some history on the powers. This would explain the tenses used in the Chapter 18 epigraph: knowing how Ati turned out vs how he was before taking the power of Ruin.

Sazed was always one to not be a leader and not direct anything, but to be a scholar who stayed on the sidelines. During the Mistborn era, Sazed was very reluctant to enter into any conflict. Hence the reason that Hoid is trying to convince Sazed to take action against Odium.

Hoid refers to an element that Sazed would be familiar with. This could be a reference the leftover Atium that Marsh had at the end of WoA. Seeing has how Atium is the power of Ruin in super concentrated form, it seems like this is something Hoid would want to keep out the hands of Odium.

As for the references to the 17th Shard, Brandon has stated in various forums (anyone want to help out with a reference?) that Sazed has the capability to travel between the various planets. Its entirely likely that Sazed may have visited Sel in an academic pursuit of religion around the solar system. Being there, he probably would have tried to interact with the locals to find out more about their religions. In doing so, he would have met the Elantrians and may have shared some of the "Shardbearer" primer info. Hence the reason the 17th Shard came into existence is trying to hunt down Hoid.

Anyway, that was long and rambling, hopefully some of my points might actually make sense. Let the refutation/support begin!

It was discussed, as I recall.  I rejected the idea that Sazed was the recipient for several reasons.  The largest one is that Hoid and the recipient seem to have an on-going relationship which included, in the distant past, a personal knowledge of the "original" Shardholders.  Sazed does not fit most of these references.

I've said it before on another thread but I'll say it again....

There are a few of us on here who have read other books and there is a specific character in one of those said books who specifically tells Hoid that he will not meddle with things. Chaos and I have been talking about it and we agree that the letter was written to this non-meddling character. We've don't want to spoil things to bad, but it is not Galladon or anyone in his published work ( I say that tongue in cheek because I haven't fully thought out if this non-meddler is a minor character that shows up as a world traveler in other books(since Brandon did say there are other characters traveling around other than Hoid.)) I hope that somewhat puts things to rest, hopefully soon we can bring more information out in the open about it or Brandon will confirm what we have asked with out him saying "that's an interesting observation" and smiling.

I don't think the letter was addressed to Sazed. Though, that brings up another question: why isn't Odium paying attention to Sazed?

It's possible that Odium feels he has more important targets first. From what Sazed said, he was still getting used to being a shardholder, so maybe Odium thinks that he can save Sazed for last?

I don't think the letter was addressed to Sazed. Though, that brings up another question: why isn't Odium paying attention to Sazed?

It's possible that Odium feels he has more important targets first. From what Sazed said, he was still getting used to being a shardholder, so maybe Odium thinks that he can save Sazed for last?

Except this is at least several hundred years after Sazed gets the Shard. (Since Alloy of Law is hundreds of years after Mistborn, and AoL is before Stormlight Archive)

To be fair, we don't know that he hasn't.  If Alloy of Law really is before Way of Kings in the timeline, there's a pretty big gap there where just about anything could happen.

Except this is at least several hundred years after Sazed gets the Shard. (Since Alloy of Law is hundreds of years after Mistborn, and AoL is before Stormlight Archive)

This.

To be fair, we don't know that he hasn't.  If Alloy of Law really is before Way of Kings in the timeline, there's a pretty big gap there where just about anything could happen.

Well, you have a point, but I also have a point in that there's no evidence saying he is paying attention to Sazed :P

Well, you have a point, but I also have a point in that there's no evidence saying he is paying attention to Sazed :P

Oh, I agree that Sazed is probably still around.  I can't imagine that Brandon would write a 3-book series about someone taking 2 of the Shards if he didn't come back around again. 

Hmmm, I just had an interesting thought.  What if the eventual resolution of the series is Sazed (or someone else) gathering all the Shards and Splinters and re-creating Adonalsium as a Paradise?

My guess is that Odium has left Sazed and endowment alone (for the moment) and that the reason is "Bigger fish to fry."  I suspect that time passes differently for Shardholders.  Their "lifespans" (as little as we have seen) are simply enormous.  Also, they are not without limits.  They can't be everywhere or do everything.