Nightblood ruining everything

Ashertliden

Question

7 answers to this question

Nightblood doesn't destroy the ground because the ground isn't invested. As brandon said that if nightblood was thrown into the mists he would eat them (paraphrased), I assume nightblood could drink up a shardpool. If Odium has a shardpool on Braize this could probably weaken him somehow. 

1 minute ago, A stick said:

Nightblood doesn't destroy the ground because the ground isn't invested. As brandon said that if nightblood was thrown into the mists he would eat them (paraphrased), I assume nightblood could drink up a shardpool. If Odium has a shardpool on Braize this could probably weaken him somehow. 

That is problematic because it does consume even non invested things such as stone walls etc.. The phraseology of that WoB is he would try to eat them.

19 minutes ago, A stick said:

Nightblood doesn't destroy the ground because the ground isn't invested.

Yeah, that's not the way it works. Everything is made of Investiture, and he destroys walls and ground and anything else while drawn. We see Vasher stab a ceiling and it destroys a 10 foot wide circle between floors instantly. 

22 minutes ago, A stick said:

As brandon said that if nightblood was thrown into the mists he would eat them (paraphrased),

The WoB in question says this. 

PhantomMonstrosity

Let's say some Mistborn jerk tosses Nightblood into the mists. What happens?

Brandon Sanderson

I suspect the mists would pull away from Nightblood, though he'd try to feed on them.

source

Yes, it would try to feed on them, but the question also specifies that Nightblood is thrown there by a wielder. We seen what happens when Nightblood is thrown while unsheated. 

Gasping, he threw the sword aside and fell to his knees. It skidded, tearing a rip in the floor that puffed away into smoke, but hit a wall with a pling and fell still. Smoke rose from the blade.

Without a wielder, its destructive power just kind of stops. Which makes sense. It's a sword. 

There's also a certain amount of Intent involved, methinks (because there usually is).  Nightblood is a sword, so by general definition/perception the dangerous parts are the edge and point (and the Choice to wield it); but as far as I recall it doesnt pull in matter like a black whole (even if it compresses Investiture like one). I strongly suspect you could be whacked by the flat of the blade without harm.