FanX (formerly Salt Lake Comic Con) 2018

Pagerunner

So, Brandon just announced he will be at FanX this year, which runs from Thursday, Sep 6 through Sunday, Sep 9. You can find his full schedule on his website: https://brandonsanderson.com/upcoming-events/#15081

There are signings every evening, and there is one event with no details listed called "Welcome to the Cosmere: Spotlight on Brandon Sanderson" on Saturday. I don't know if Brandon's at that panel, or if he listed it because it's about him, but it could be something interesting.

Is anybody going to be attending? Perhaps able to record a signing line or two?

I'll be there Thur-Sat and should be attending most of his panels and getting his books signed. I don't have good recording equipment, just my phone, but I might be able to. Any question suggestions? I haven't read any of his books since the Oathbringer release and I'm having a hard time coming up with any good questions.

Hey @Susebron, I have a couple that you could take a whack at if you're still looking. (If these don't interest you, no worries, definitely ask things that you're interested in!)

• Was Hoid present for the destruction of Ashyn?gWas there a full Invested Art (magic system) on Threnody before Ambition and Odium's fight? If so, was it related to Ambition?
  • Does each member of the Fused have access to one Surge or two?
  • At one point during the Battle of Thaylen Fields, Odium says, "If the Tisark can’t secure [the Oathgate], [Kai-garnis] is to destroy the device and recover its gemstones." Does the term Tisark refer to the Fused that have access to the Surge of Gravitation?

The top two questions are the ones most interesting to me, but take your pick. Also if you have subjects you're interested in and you want to workshop questions about those, we could always help you out! Thanks!

One of my favorite up and coming authors (Brian Lee Durfee) is on a panel and posted a picture with him, others authors, and Brandon. I would be interested if anyone else has any news from the event. Anyways here's the picture from the previously mentioned authors Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/1651277654/posts/10211093230120588/

Audio is in for this event. There's a lot of it - 8 hours of signing lines, 6 hours of panels, so it will take a while for it all to get processed. (We check through the signing lines for stuff to remove, since Brandon has a habit of leaning over to the recorder and saying "don't put this on the internet.") But if you're looking to help transcribe and be among the first to hear new WoBs, Thursday's signing line is up and ready to go, as well as one of his panels.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/358-fanx-2018/

51 minutes ago, Pagerunner said:

since Brandon has a habit of leaning over to the recorder and saying "don't put this on the internet.")

I'm just curious; does he instantly regret saying something that is perhaps too spoilerish or is there other reasons why he doesn't want his responses transcribed verbatim?

It's often spoilers, sometimes intentional, sometimes not. He might blurt something out, then say "Don't put this on the internet please, I haven't canonized it yet." Or someone might ask a question, and he'd say, "I can tell you, but we'd have to hide from the recorder." And then we mute the question anyways out of courtesy to the questioner. But sometimes there will be an extremely personal story that we just feel would be really inappropriate to put out on the internet, and we don't want to be the ones putting something like that out as well.

But, yeah, these things may get picked up in the audio recording. Nothing so far on this event, but if you go to the Arcanum pages and listen through the full signing line audio files, you'll be able to find red chunks in the audio bar where things have been muted.

5 minutes ago, A stick said:

So this may be a stupid question, but how do you make a new entry to the Arcanum not a suggestion?

We've set things up so all entries get reviewed by an Arcanum staff member. So, if you transcribed something, it will stay as a Suggestion until one of us goes through, checks it, and approves it. We're a little backlogged, since Brandon's actually been pretty busy recently with cons and the like. And then we've got all this new audio we need to process before we can go checking transcriptions. But we're working as fast as we can on cleaning out the queue.

Not strictly Brandon-related, but a lot of people here are also fans of Brandon's old mentor, David Farland, best known for his Runelords books, which Brandon has described as containing the best magic system he's ever seen.

I attended a panel with Brandon on magic systems, and David Farland was there.  Along the way he mentioned that he's going to be coming out with a Runelords prequel series.  This seemed a bit strange to me, as the final book of the main series isn't out yet; it's been MIA for something like 6 years now.  So I caught up to him after the panel and asked about that, and he said that he's had a heck of a time writing it, because of a case of writer's block that went on for years.  But he finally got past that and is finishing it up now, and expects to have it finished within a couple weeks.  His best guess at a publication time is approximately a year from now.

So... yay!  We're finally going to get the conclusion! :D

On 9/10/2018 at 7:10 PM, Mason Wheeler said:

Not strictly Brandon-related, but a lot of people here are also fans of Brandon's old mentor, David Farland, best known for his Runelords books, which Brandon has described as containing the best magic system he's ever seen.

I attended a panel with Brandon on magic systems, and David Farland was there.  Along the way he mentioned that he's going to be coming out with a Runelords prequel series.  This seemed a bit strange to me, as the final book of the main series isn't out yet; it's been MIA for something like 6 years now.  So I caught up to him after the panel and asked about that, and he said that he's had a heck of a time writing it, because of a case of writer's block that went on for years.  But he finally got past that and is finishing it up now, and expects to have it finished within a couple weeks.  His best guess at a publication time is approximately a year from now.

So... yay!  We're finally going to get the conclusion! :D

Nice to get another update! I saw he posted a month or two ago that he was up to 50% on A Tale of Tales, but it's been radio silence ever since. I was getting worried that he hit another block...