Singers and Seekers

Invocation

Question

8 answers to this question

So Brandon has said that the Rhythms are Cosmere wide, meaning they would still hear them on Scadrial. Also this post confirms that a Seeker could theoretically hear the Rhythms. It is not yet clear how the Listeners/Singers hear the Rhythms I think it is probably because their race was created by Adonalsium.  So yes I would say similar because they are linked in some fashion. 

The Rhythms always struck me as something the Seekers heard, but it is also extremely similar to when Vin burns Brass and Duralumin. She could tell exactly what Elend was feeling, and what was being Soothed by Breeze. 

2 minutes ago, _Shard said:

The Rhythms always struck me as something the Seekers heard, but it is also extremely similar to when Vin burns Brass and Duralumin. She could tell exactly what Elend was feeling, and what was being Soothed by Breeze. 

Ironically, that exact scene is was brought this question to mind.

The rhythms are Cosmere wide... But they express themselves differently on Roshar. We have no idea what a singer would hear elsewhere. 

Questioner

If you took a Parshendi... And they were born outside Roshar and never visited Roshar in their lives, would they hear the Rhythms <>?

Brandon Sanderson

Would they hear the Rhythms beyond Roshar... If you took one that was not born on Roshar, would they feel the Rhythms off-Roshar or just Rhythms in general?

Questioner

Rhythms in general.

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, they would sense <them>.

Questioner

<> beyond Roshar?

Brandon Sanderson

What they are sensing... it's something that permeates the Cosmere but on Roshar has specific way of <>

Questioner

<is it the same thing that Soothers and Rioters are using?>

Brandon Sanderson

Now you're straying into RAFO territory <with your question/good question>...

source

I think the Rhythms are most likely based on Connection. We have seen connection used to translate languages but I think it goes way, way beyond that. Reaching into the spiritual realm, Connection is the manifestation of the bonds/connections between people, objects, and the universe. Emotional Allomancy uses it to manipulate people's emotions. Singers use the mutual connection between individuals of that species to hear the rhythms. Shards use it to talk to people. I get the distinct feeling that it(the use of connection) has to do with the spiritual DNA of the person. If you where to gaze into the Spiritual realm, I think connection would look like a web with nodes on each and every item/person/sentient weapon in the cosmere. Stick is connected to Vasher is connected to Wax's gun is connected to Silence's way stop is connected to the moon scepter is connected to Taldain is connected to the Aviar.