The Long War

Grey Knight

The Long War

Welcome, all, to the Alleyverse Lore Project- a mission to fill in the gaps of the RP with written history and lore.

This first project will (I hope) cover the events of the Long War, a 16+ year conflict between the Black Crusade and the forces of Chaos. The hope is that the finished work could help inspire new characters and roleplayers, giving them hooks and story ideas to carry to the rest of the Alleyverse. How differently would your Twinborn act if they had lived through the brutal Siege of Bassopolis, where the mighty Phoenix destroyed half the city battling a Helldrake? What if your Radiant was a reformed cultist, worshiping the Dark Powers before bonding a spren and escaping from the southern wasteland? What if your master swordsman had won their Shards by campaigning with the Black Crusade?

Primarily, though, this project aims to produce stories and legends for the Alleyverse, through expanding every guild’s history in the 16 years of war. So, without further ado- I give you the starting point for the Long War:

Image result for 40k the plague wars

The Winter Siege, when the foul Death Guard battled the Black Crusade for months in the frozen streets of Newcago.

Our first goal is to flesh out both armies involved in the conflict- their leaders, their history, and their culture. We’ll also determine the significance of the battle, and how it affected the balance of the Long War.

No Warhammer 40k knowledge is necessary. Remember, anyone can pitch in. This is a collaborative project, after all- I’m not the insane dictator secretly ruling from the shadows. The only requirement is that we stay on topic

Now- let’s do this.

The Black Crusade

Spoiler

Founded over 16 years ago in the Alleyverse, the Black Crusade is a militaristic guild of Warhammer 40K space marines, who fought against literally everyone (the Ghostbloods, TUBA, even Chaos) during the 7 Day War.

At least, this is what the wider Alleyverse thinks. In reality, the Black Crusade is a tenuous alliance between many, self-contained space marine armies called chapters. These chapters are as varied as they are numerous, from the machine-worshiping Iron Hands to the fiercely stubborn Imperial Fists.

This disparate alliance is led by Drako He'Stan, chapter master of the Salamanders. A veteran of both the 7 Day War and the Long War that followed it, he nevertheless struggles to maintain control over the independent-minded chapters and to direct a coherent war effort.

Edited by Purgespren

All right lets start!
Just that you know: I won't have access to a laptop/ computer for most of September, and longer posts are nothing I like to do on mobile. So I'm not sure how much I can contribute until afterwards.

I wrote something about the leader of the Death Guard. I hope that's all right for you.

Nerbish Ogbat looked over his assembled troops and nooded. That was excatly what he had hoped for. The Black Crusade were running the rabbits from his mighty army. A grim smile spread on his face while he watched them retreat into another quarter of Newcago. He stood on his platform for a little while, then he turned, his cloak buffeting in the wind. He had it added to his armor a while ago and it gave him a nice touch. Like an ancient emperor.
"Lets crush these hounds."
he balled his hand to a fist and then walked back to his commanding officers.
"They're running like rabbits."
His officers laughed at his remark, just like they were supposed to do. It was hard to find good men that also had it in them to be an officer.
"We will push them out of the city. Along the walls and then back to where they came from."
"Yes, sir. I'll move my men to flank them, so that the need to follow the wall."
one of the younger officers saluted him briskly. Nerbish Ogbat turned on him, like a snake would turn on her dinner.
"I am the one who tells you what to do with your men. Not the other way around."
The young man nodded, sweat glistering on his face. He wanted so much to impress his commander, that he didn't realize, that even trying was to much. He needed to follow orders and do what he was told. Nerbish blasted his head away and turned to the remaining officers.
"So we will crush them."
he concluded the war council.

Edited by Sorana

6 minutes ago, Sorana said:

Nerbish Ogbat looked over his assembled troops and nooded. That was excatly what he had hoped for. The Black Crusade were running the rabbits from his mighty army. A grim smile spread on his face while he watched them retreat into another quarter of Newcago. He stood on his platform for a little while, then he turned, his cloak buffeting in the wind. He had it added to his armor a while ago and it gave him a nice touch. Like an ancient emperor.
"Lets crush these hounds."
he balled his hand to a fist and then walked back to his commanding officers.
"They're running like rabbits."
His officers laughed at his remark, just like they were supposed to do. It was hard to find good men that also had it in them to be an officer.
"We will push them out of the city. Along the walls and then back to where they came from."
"Yes, sir. I'll move my men to flank them, so that the need to follow the wall."
one of the younger officers saluted him briskly. Nerbish Ogbat turned on him, like a snake would turn on her dinner.
"I am the one who tells you what to do with your men. Not the other way around."
The young man nodded, sweat glistering on his face. He wanted so much to impress his commander, that he didn't realize, that even trying was to much. He needed to follow orders and do what he was told. Nerbish blasted his head away and turned to the remaining officers.
"So we will crush them."
he concluded the war council.

Well, thanks for the post! But this isn't an RP- it's more like the Creator's Corner.

Also, just... why rabbits, of all things? :lol:

2 minutes ago, wiritospren said:

How about you give a little bit insight of what is the black crusade and alll that?

I'll edit some info into the main post.

Edited by Purgespren

*makes something up on the fly*

Out-of-universe conversations take place normally, without comments. In-universe stuff, like recaps or character scenes, will be in italics. 

When we compile everything into one large document, it'll (hopefully) look something like this:

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10578370/1/The-Roboutian-Heresy 

1 hour ago, Purgespren said:

So, what ideas do people have for writing the Winter Siege? Who are the major generals involved? Should there be an epic boss battle between a daemon prince and Queen Elsa? How much is the Black Crusade going to lose before they finally win? 

Can the Sentinel armies be involved as well? If so, General Kane. 

We should ask Queen Elsa about the boss battle, that should be her decision.

What do you think of: some longer fighting in the street, the Black Crusade gets pushed back and then a group of heros find a solution and do whatever is neccessary to win the fight. (typical epic fantasy roleplay background)

I don’t know a ton about Warhammer 40k, but for the battle, an interesting plan would be this. The Chaos Space marines begin to lay siege on the city, and Queen Elsa calls for help from the Black Crusade. The Black crusade comes and lays siege to the army laying seige on Newcago. Because of this, another Chaos space marine battalion comes and incircles the Black Crusade. We then get a scene like that from Ceasar’s war commentaries, where the Black Crusade is fighting from both sides. It’s Seigeception. 

Side note: I’d be pretty interesting in setting up some lore similar to the Destiny does, in that many weapons and armor have lore tabs, and there’s hidden underlying stories that provide greater details to various things in the world.

A Chaos Marine watches from the shadows. He was to assassinate someone important. They didn't care who. He waited. He saw Black Crusade members fall, along wiht some Chaos Marines. But he did not help. He waited. He heard an explosion. He did nothing. Finally, he saw his chance. A high ranked member of the Black Crusade. He was leading troops in a flanking maneuver. If it worked, they would land a heavy blow. But if he died, the Black Crusade would take a heavy blow instead. He shot. The laser bolt flew toward his skull. And he jumped out of the way. "Voidus!" He shot again and again, but did no more than nick his arm. He decided to take a risk. He stood up, and JUMPED. As he flew, he took aim. He hit, and the opponent dropped dead. He landed on his feet, satisfied. Then he dropped, a hundred bolts hitting him at once. As the world went black, he had one thought. I did it. Mission complete. He smiled as he died.

Oak knew he had to succeed. The Black Crusade was losing, and they could lose many lives soon. He lead them through the shiny streets, slippery with a combination of ice and steel. He saw the glint. A blaster bolt. He backflipped, the bolt missing him entirely. "Go! Attack!" They didn't listen. The people with him pulled out there guns, trying to judge were the bolt came from. Then another flew out of nowhere. Then another. And another. He dodged the first, but the second hit him in the leg, and the third in the back. He was in pain. Then the man flew out of a window, one that had been broken before turning into steel. His mean shot as one, hitting him. But his blast flew true, hitting him straight in the face. He died immediately.

"NO!" Red ran towards her Captain. He had led them into battle. He was there leader. But she had more connection then most. Because she was also his wife. She sobbed over his body. She pulled off his helmet, staring down at his ruined face. She kissed his forehead and whispered. "I will keep the baby safe. You will not be forgotten." She took his troops, walking back to the rest of the Black Crusade. When she got there, she climbed one of the steel buildings. "THIS NEEDS TO STOP! WE NEED TO WIN THIS WAR OR BE DONE! WE'RE DYING OUT THERE!" She realized she was screaming, and crying. She didn't stop, she went on anyway. "ARE CHILDREN AREN'T SAFE! IF WE DIE, WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO THEM?" The people listened to her. They were hanging on to her every word. Her confidence grew. She grabbed a megaphone, so she could finish the speech without her voice giving out. She continued, quieter this time. "I dedicated my life to this cause. But if the leaders don't come up with a plan..." She started to sob, the tears running faster down her face. "THEN I FOR ONE AM LEAVING!!!" She walked down the stairs, leaving a trail of blood and tears.

And I'm back. Sorry about the absence- going to sleep, combined with an all day drive, meant that I couldn't respond until now.

On 8/30/2018 at 6:32 PM, BitBitio said:

Can the Sentinel armies be involved as well? If so, General Kane. 

Sure! Just be aware that they're facing millenia-old, plague-infested super warriors who can kill with a single, putrid touch :lol:

20 hours ago, Snipexe said:

I don’t know a ton about Warhammer 40k, but for the battle, an interesting plan would be this. The Chaos Space marines begin to lay siege on the city, and Queen Elsa calls for help from the Black Crusade. The Black crusade comes and lays siege to the army laying seige on Newcago. Because of this, another Chaos space marine battalion comes and incircles the Black Crusade. We then get a scene like that from Ceasar’s war commentaries, where the Black Crusade is fighting from both sides. It’s Seigeception. 

Normally, the Black Crusade would be defending Newcago itself. But I really like this idea. Maybe reinforcements arrive from orbit and trap the Death Guard between them and the walls, only for more Chaos marines to show up behind the reinforcements?

8 hours ago, Gancho Libre said:

so this thread is for more detail about the war?

Depends on which war you're talking about, but yes!

On 8/30/2018 at 7:21 PM, wiritospren said:

And the death guard? And newcago? You should give more info about everything

A basic (if not universe-relevant) summary of the Death Guard can be found here.

Info will be added to the original post about our Death Guard, though. I'll need some help capturing the purple-prose aspect of the wiki, though ;)

8 hours ago, Ark1002 said:

A Chaos Marine watches from the shadows. He was to assassinate someone important. They didn't care who. He waited. He saw Black Crusade members fall, along wiht some Chaos Marines. But he did not help. He waited. He heard an explosion. He did nothing. Finally, he saw his chance. A high ranked member of the Black Crusade. He was leading troops in a flanking maneuver. If it worked, they would land a heavy blow. But if he died, the Black Crusade would take a heavy blow instead. He shot. The laser bolt flew toward his skull. And he jumped out of the way. "Voidus!" He shot again and again, but did no more than nick his arm. He decided to take a risk. He stood up, and JUMPED. As he flew, he took aim. He hit, and the opponent dropped dead. He landed on his feet, satisfied. Then he dropped, a hundred bolts hitting him at once. As the world went black, he had one thought. I did it. Mission complete. He smiled as he died.

Thanks! But this project is going to consist of more narration than character scenes, though it will have some. This is an example of what I'm going for.

21 hours ago, Snipexe said:

Side note: I’d be pretty interesting in setting up some lore similar to the Destiny does, in that many weapons and armor have lore tabs, and there’s hidden underlying stories that provide greater details to various things in the world.

This is definitely something we could do.

Sorry about the absence- let's get started. First: the two factions, and their respective strengths & weaknesses.

The Black Crusade:

Spoiler

Black Crusade

·       Leader: Warmaster Drako He’Stan

·       Weakened by the 7 Day War- not a lot of space marines left

·       Really hate the Death Guard, both for being traitors and because of aforementioned casualties

·       Heavily outnumbered by the Death Guard

·       Led by Queen Elsa, the literal most powerful being on the planet.

·       Made up of at least 11 chapters, each with a unique specialty. This variety allowed them to effectively counter Death Guard advances, even when they were outnumbered and outgunned

·       Why they won: Sheer grit, timely assistance from the Sentinels, the power of Queen Elsa, but mostly because the Black Templars make an awesome, last-chance drop pod assault into the city, routing the Death Guard

The Death Guard:

Spoiler

Death Guard:

·       Leader: Mortarion, only living demon primarch

·       Inflicted the most casualties on the BC during the 7 day war

·       Armed with a vast array of super-weapons and daemon engines

·       Statistically more powerful than the BC

·       Why they don’t win: more interested in causing devastation than actually taking the city; due to a research error, they don’t realize there’s no people in Newcago- this means no plague zombies

So, let's start working these ideas into a coherent narrative. Any suggestions?

1 hour ago, Grey Knight said:

Sorry about the absence- let's get started. First: the two factions, and their respective strengths & weaknesses.

The Black Crusade:

Reveal hidden contents

Black Crusade

·       Leader: Warmaster Drako He’Stan

·       Weakened by the 7 Day War- not a lot of space marines left

·       Really hate the Death Guard, both for being traitors and because of aforementioned casualties

·       Heavily outnumbered by the Death Guard

·       Led by Queen Elsa, the literal most powerful being on the planet.

·       Made up of at least 11 chapters, each with a unique specialty. This variety allowed them to effectively counter Death Guard advances, even when they were outnumbered and outgunned

·       Why they won: Sheer grit, timely assistance from the Sentinels, the power of Queen Elsa, but mostly because the Black Templars make an awesome, last-chance drop pod assault into the city, routing the Death Guard

The Death Guard:

Hide contents

Death Guard:

·       Leader: Mortarion, only living demon primarch

·       Inflicted the most casualties on the BC during the 7 day war

·       Armed with a vast array of super-weapons and daemon engines

·       Statistically more powerful than the BC

·       Why they don’t win: more interested in causing devastation than actually taking the city; due to a research error, they don’t realize there’s no people in Newcago- this means no plague zombies

So, let's start working these ideas into a coherent narrative. Any suggestions?

Quick question, if they belong to queen elsa, what is there relation to the newcago court? Do they have any authority over them, or any need to protect them?