What do you think the missing Shards are?

Inky

Question

24 answers to this question

No real reasoning behind these as they are just guesses (I happen to think categorizing the Shards is pointless and that the names we know or only an interpretation of a deeper intent, hence Honor and Unity being the same Shard), other than that I think all together the Shards would create a whole personality. 

So, including the one we know... 

Preservation (the need for familiarity, reticence to change) 

Ruin (Loss, inevitability)

Dominion (ownership, control) 

Devotion (Love, care, dedication) 

Ambition (self explanatory) 

Cultivation (the need for growth, planning) 

Honor (respect for others, integrity) 

Odium (self explanatory) 

Endowment (generosity, need to provide) 

Autonomy (desire for freedom, self assurance) 

Ingenuity (only here cause its not technically confirmed, but I think it is one. Creativity) 

The following may go under different names, but this is the root component in my mind) 

Wisdom (self explanatory, may go under a diff) 

Curiosity (self explanatory) 

Discretion (doubt, caution, need to verify) 

Pride (need for recognition) 

Fear (self explanatory. Not sure about this one, because I don't know that Adonalsium would have any need of this, but it would be fun) 

I haven't put a whole lot of thought into this, but based on the idea that each shard has a pseudo-opposite here's my list with the shards we don't know indicated by '?'

Honor
Deception?

Affection?
Odium

Autonomy
Reliance?

Contentment?
Ambition

Endowment
Requirement/Withdrawl?

Cultivation
Neglect?

Preservation
Ruin

Devotion
Dominion

I propose that either Neglect or Contentment be the "survival shard" that is okay with hiding while the universe dies.
Survival as its actual name is too closely related to Preservation. And we're told that the desire to survive and its knowledge of events are only tangentially related to its Intent

Edited by Wreith

I have a somewhat complicated theory on that.  I havent posted it on the shard yet, but the write-up is on Reddit (HERE).  That's the details of the "Why", but as far as the theoretical Missing Shards:

• Conviction
  • Enlightenment (the one that wants to be left alone because it knows too much of what's going on)
  • Solitude
  • Survival (Darwinian)
  • Ascetic
  • Creation (Demiurge/Worldsmith)

I don't know whether the categories of Intent are "highest-level concepts in general" or "special concepts of the divine nature." If the latter, my hypothesis is:

Heaven - Pantheistic World - Hell [Endowment, Cultivation, and Odium]

Creation - Conservation - Destruction [Ambition, Preservation, Ruin]

Immutable - Impassible [Dominion, Autonomy]

Mercy - Justice [Devotion, Honor]

Simplicity - Infinity [X, X]

Immanence - Transcendence [X, X]

Perfection - Redemption [X, X]

I'm gunning towards "special concepts of the divine nature" because (i) the Shattering could have unfolded differently, as in (if I recall what I've heard here) a different number of Shards, which wouldn't be as easy to pull off if there was a special set of totally general concepts in play, here, (ii) Odium is descirbed as "God's own divine hatred," not hatred in general, and (iii) the role of perspective/belief in the Cosmere suggests God's nature itself to be subject to subjectivity(!) (if enough people believe it, it sort of becomes real, i.e. Adonalsium was like a spren, so He was the superspren of what people believed God was, to some degree, or something along those lines).

Ingenuity for the "unconfirmed shard". Either that or Sanderson was trolling us with the Ingenuity namedrop

Purely guessing perspective. The last five would be 

• Subterfuge or Deceit (trickery, deceit, truthfullness that kind of ideal .. i don't we had that yet that deals with truth/lies )

Wow this is hard. That's only my guess so far. I'll probably edit later if i think of some.

11 hours ago, Merrickz said:

Pretty sure one of them is going to be Survival

Aside from Sanderson indirectly disproving survival shard and it is redundant and counterintuitive considering that. Survival is literally Preservation in concept. 

That vessel of the shard was just smart.

1 hour ago, goody153 said:

Subterfuge or Deceit (trickery, deceit, truthfullness that kind of ideal .. i don't we had that yet that deals with truth/lies )

I used to push really hard for wanting a "subtlety" shard, for just this reason... And then I realized everything I want of that shard is already present in Cultivation. 

12 minutes ago, Calderis said:

I used to push really hard for wanting a "subtlety" shard, for just this reason... And then I realized everything I want of that shard is already present in Cultivation. 

Well at least by concept cultivation is fairly different because it is all about growth what i'm particluarly about is the concepts of truth and lies something like that but i suppose Autonomy might be something like Deceit/Subterfuge as it also deals with conception of personal self.

I do understand where you are getting from tho. Cultivation as shard and her actions are particularly interesting to follow compared to Ruin or Preservation or Honor who are like simplistic by concept and fairly predictable.

@goody153 that's just it though. I think Cultivation is about more then that. Her actions and foresight... I personally think Cultivation is about far more than just "growth." She's Cultivation in all aspects of that word. You cultivate plans and schemes. Plant seeds in the form of rumors and lies.

She is the classic web weaver. Pulling the strings from behind the scenes to manipulate events to her liking. She's all about deception  and misdirection. 

It's why she's my favorite Shard, and why I'm convinced Taravangian is her pawn and the Diagram is a plot to undermine Odium. It's methods reek of her intent. 

25 minutes ago, Calderis said:

@goody153 that's just it though. I think Cultivation is about more then that. Her actions and foresight... I personally think Cultivation is about far more than just "growth." She's Cultivation in all aspects of that word. You cultivate plans and schemes. Plant seeds in the form of rumors and lies.

She is the classic web weaver. Pulling the strings from behind the scenes to manipulate events to her liking. She's all about deception  and misdirection. 

It's why she's my favorite Shard, and why I'm convinced Taravangian is her pawn and the Diagram is a plot to undermine Odium. It's methods reek of her intent. 

I know it might be unlikely or wrong but i still hold the theory that she helped murder honor for the sake of cultivation of Roshar or something. That is such an interesting cultivation thing to do.

Oh yeah Mr. T entire thing definitely reeks of influence but it might not possibly work out just as well as it did with Dalinar. Considering that apparently she's willing for things to grow even if it doesn't really help her agenda.

I’ve always thought that there’s probably at least one other Shard out there who leans towards being evil/malevolent, since the majority of the ones we know so far seem to either be morally neutral (Cultivation, Autonomy, Ambition, Preservation) or benevolent (Honor, Endowment, Devotion, Harmony). So far Ruin and Odium and maybe Dominion are ones that I personally would call malevolent (by human standards). That said, I’ve always thought that ‘Jealousy’ or ‘Avarice’ would make a good Shard of less-than-pleasant nature.

Other ones I like are:

Aptitude’ (I personally think that sounds better than ‘Ingenuity’ or ‘Creativity’).

Wisdom

Prudence (that might possibly be the so-called ‘Survival Shard’)

Compassion (though this arguably would be subsumed into Devotion’s intent).

Order

Fecundity (though I doubt Brandon would go there; I suspect a Shardworld with that Shard would be very... Bosch. lol.)

And one I haven’t seen postulated before; ‘Indifference’ or maybe ‘Apathy’. Which I like because we already have Shards of love (Devotion) and hate (Odium), so ‘Indifference’ would be right in the middle of the two just like Preservation is right in between Ruin and Cultivation.

Edited by Fanghur Rahl

On 2018-08-29 at 0:05 PM, Merrickz said:

Pretty sure one of them is going to be Survival

Brandon has all but explicitly stated that it isn’t called ‘Survival’, and that its desire to hide and survivor is only tangentially related to its intent. I personally think something like ‘Prudence’ could be a pretty good name for it, or maybe ‘Wisdom’, though I don’t think it works as well.

Here's what I think would be interesting Shards:

Discord/Chaos/Trickster, a Shard all about causing mischief and chaos similar to what Eris and Loki do

Horror/Unknown/Fear, pretty much a Lovecraftian style Shard twisting things

Inspiration/Wonder, this Shard would be about inspiring artists, poets, sculptors, authors, etc... to create something beautiful

Lust/Desire, don't know what type of Investiture this one could have but I would find it weird if Adonalsium didn't have some sexual attraction like any god would have in mythology

Boredom/Laziness, maybe the Investiture from this one could involve doing nothing and something will happen, not because they want to be lazy but because they have to think about what they want it to do. Also there's got to be at least one Shard that's just underwhelming compared to the others.

Childishness/Playfulness/Purity, this could be self-explanatory and the Investiture could be used only by children and those young at heart/pure of heart

6 hours ago, Draginon said:

Here's what I think would be interesting Shards:

Discord/Chaos/Trickster, a Shard all about causing mischief and chaos similar to what Eris and Loki do

Horror/Unknown/Fear, pretty much a Lovecraftian style Shard twisting things

Inspiration/Wonder, this Shard would be about inspiring artists, poets, sculptors, authors, etc... to create something beautiful

Lust/Desire, don't know what type of Investiture this one could have but I would find it weird if Adonalsium didn't have some sexual attraction like any god would have in mythology

Boredom/Laziness, maybe the Investiture from this one could involve doing nothing and something will happen, not because they want to be lazy but because they have to think about what they want it to do. Also there's got to be at least one Shard that's just underwhelming compared to the others.

Childishness/Playfulness/Purity, this could be self-explanatory and the Investiture could be used only by children and those young at heart/pure of heart

Personally, I think ‘Fecundity’ would be the best for the lust/desire possibility.

2 hours ago, Draginon said:

I never heard that word before  but I also had never heard Odium before the Cosmere

Fecundity (noun): the ability to produce an abundance of offspring or new growth; fertility.

That’d make for a pretty fun Shardworld. lol. The only problem is that it might be a little too similar to Cultivation for it to be a separate Shard.

Edited by Fanghur Rahl

3 hours ago, Fanghur Rahl said:

Fecundity (noun): the ability to produce an abundance of offspring or new growth; fertility.

That’d make for a pretty fun Shardworld. lol. The only problem is that it might be a little too similar to Cultivation for it to be a separate Shard.

That world would be so 'love'ly ;), but it might get too fetish level and adult for Brandon since I don't know how he feels about having something that mature in the Cosmere.

I we went more the Desire route it could be more about getting what you want/desire and the Investiture would follow suit, maybe with a variant that's essentially magical five finger discounts. A planet of thieves! Wayne would be so at home here.

On 8/30/2018 at 3:55 AM, goody153 said:

I know it might be unlikely or wrong but i still hold the theory that she helped murder honor for the sake of cultivation of Roshar or something. That is such an interesting cultivation thing to do

At very least, it would be really on-theme for Cultivation to use Honors investiture-rich “corpse” as a fertilizer (I.e. she’s manipulating his slivers and splinters for some purpose).