Who You Think Will Die?

Draginon

As we all know Brandon says that some main characters will die over the course of the series. So my question is who do you think will die by the end of cycle 1 and by the end of cycle 2?

For cycle 1 I could see Szeth being dead by the end of his book. It could almost be a full circle where he was 'exiled' by the Shin to become Truthless but dying to save them as a KR.

Oddly I'm thinking Dalinar might be someone who is going to die by the end of either cycle.

I'm also thinking one of the two Heralds we're getting will be killed off as well.

It would be an interesting twist if Renarin, Lift or Jasnah were killed off during the gap years and shown as a twist for the flashback like was done in the one episode of Lost where Sun was giving birth.

It would be a mean twist if Kaladin was killed off during the second cycle.

As for non-flashback characters if Dalinar does die then Navani should go with him or have her death be the reason he goes out, similar to Vin and Elend.

Roshone deserves a good death, preferably at the end of a Whitespine attack.

Odium for sure should be dead by the end of 10 so I'll be shocked if he's still alive after that.

Taravangian, Navani [more tragedy, try to crack Dalinar maybe, who knows], Ialai [is she still alive? I don't remember]. At least one more Bridge Four original member, maybe. Lopen, sacrificing himself? [I feel like Rock would have a family moment in the end so will have to be alive for that.] I wish I remembered more characters to morbidly judge...

We know Lift won't die for some books yet, since she'll be a POV character in the latter half. Dalinar's physical body will die, but at least for a little while he will become a significant enough portion of Honor to Ascend (probably - see the WOB about Dalinar not being Honor yet), Lopen and Kaladin are probably going to die, along with Moash, Shallan won't make it through whole, Adolin will probably continue to almost die but not quite, Rock may end up dead as well, Taravangian will probably die along with Malata and the rest of Vargo's people, Venli will probably get semi-killed but end up Ascending to Odium. There's my guesses.

17 hours ago, Invocation said:

We know Lift won't die for some books yet, since she'll be a POV character in the latter half.

Dang. I was really hoping against hope that Lift and Shallan both die. Shallan's plotline was absolute deadweight until like midway through WoR, and even then she was unrelatable and insufferable. Reading anything from Lift's perspective is like scrubbing my brain with sandpaper. Less said about her the better.

Honestly, I'm surprised Kaladin's chronic hero syndrome hasn't gotten him killed yet. He could easily die. 

Is Ialai alive? How many Sadeases (Sad Diseases lol) are even left?

Edited by Unlicensed Hemalurgist

43 minutes ago, Invocation said:

We know Lift won't die for some books yet, since she'll be a POV character in the latter half.

Eshonai sure was great in OB... She's gotta survive through the next book since it's hers.... 

Wait a minute... 

50 minutes ago, Calderis said:

Eshonai sure was great in OB... She's gotta survive through the next book since it's hers.... 

Wait a minute... 

I think @Invocation was talking about present tense not flashback POV since Brandon has talked about Lift having to grow up before she becomes a KR in the second half. Unless Brandon's misleading us, that confirms she's safe until then unless he goes with the twist of disguising her flashbacks as present day (he can get around that through mid-chapter POV changes like with Kaladin's final flashback being mid-chapter) and in her final one it's revealed she's been dead since before the book takes place. It could work with her since she's supposed to be the opening to the back half and if the Kholins would be too far after to work properly without a convoluted reason for them not being seen or someone impersonating them.

I suppose that's fair. He does refer to her more as a "main character in the second arc." 

I just have a habit of not holding to anyone being safe. I haven't added much to this thread because well... Could be anybody as far as I'm concerned. 

I used to expect Kaladin to die, until I realized how many of Brandon's male protagonists can fly. If he kills Kaladin, he's going to have to spend many pages replacing him with another man who can fly. It sounds like too much bother.

Maybe Taln will get the other Honorblade instead of his original, and use it to fly. Any hint of that though, and we know Kaladin is toast.

3 minutes ago, CosmicSieve said:

My fear is for Syl, though I feel like scrunching up and hiding in a dark corner just for saying this. I loved her from her first appearance

Honestly mate, me too. Syl should be happy permanently, for once in Branderson's works.

Edited by Invocation

Honestly, they all could die. There is a possibility that in the end there will be no humans on Roshar anymore.
Or Hoid ruling them all. With the end of SA as a "we should not end like that - practice" for MB Era 4.

It's not that I'd like to see this ending, but the setting definitly offers the chance.

I'm a huge Adolin fan but he must be dying before the start of the second arc.

He is a beloved, world renowned shardbearer, duelist, warrior and third in line to the Alethi thrown (even if he doesn't want it).  It appears as though he will be the first person in history to revive a dead shardblade and become an Edgedance, perhaps even Mistress Lift's first ever padawan.  He is married to one of the original radiants of this generation.  When he learns the truth about the Rift he will struggle with how he idolizes his father and his wish to have been able to fight along side the true Black Thorn.

There's only 2 ways this guy doesn't get his own POV book in the second half.

1. He's off somewhere being awesome when the shared prologue scene takes place so he can't get his own book
  2. He's dead

1. isn't very likely so this only leaves 2.  I know dead characters can have their own books but far more dead characters don't get their own books.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the characters (although I can't say who) are going to 'die' and sent to Braize. His servants can be fought on Roshar, but to defeat/free (who knows ...) Odium himself I can imagine that you need to travel to Braize where the Shard is located and imprisoned

Yay, another death thread! Here are my bets:

-Mr T is too old to survive the entire series. Even if someone doesn’t kill him off, he will die of old age sooner or later. The same goes for Adrotagia.

-While we are on the Diagram, there is no way Malata makes it through the entire series alive. Minor antagonists who are warriors generally die. 

-Kaladin will most likely die. I feel like one of the three mains will, and Dalinar feels like the likely one, so he probably won’t. I think Kaladin is the dead guy. 

-Shallan might die too. I’m 50/50 on her.

-Rayse, Nale and Moash will all die at some point. I think Szeth will kill Nale with Nightblood. If the Ghostbloods wind up being antagonists, I think Mraize is bound to kick the bucket sooner or later as well. 

-A whole bunch of Heralds.

-Adolin.

-Aladar and/or Hatham. One or too Highprinces will die sooner or later, and these are the major ones left, along with Sebarial, who I think might survive, ironically. 

-More Bridge 4 people. I think Lopen, Skar and a bunch of others. 

-Queen Fen. She is old too.

-Leshwi will probably die and come back a few more times.

-I really don’t see Szeth surviving.

I think I’ll stop this list here...

Kaladin is my favorite SA character, but he just screams 'heroic sacrifice in book 5.'

I used to think this would segway into him waking up in Braize, and thus the revelation that the secret that broke the KR's was all surgebinders being unintentionally bound to the oathpact (the suffering part, at least.)  Regardless of that, Kaladin still has heroic tear jerking death written all over him.

HOWEVER, this is Brandon, and he's usually damnation good about keeping us on our toes.  The one character whose arc seems like it could go almost ANY direction, the one character who seems to have the most 'future potential' for absurdities, new and unique story lines, and just currently unresolved questions, is Shallan.

She's always one of the first my mind wants to cross off when thinking about major deaths in SA arc 1.  Which is why I always wind back to her as 'the one no one will see coming.' 

Does fully Ascending count as ‘dying’? I’m rather fond of the idea of Dalinar becoming Honor/Unity and Cultivation choosing to baton-pass her Shard to join Tanavast in the Beyond and Navani becoming the new Cultivation (or whatever near-synonym she’d end up as). Also, I’m pretty sure Szeth will eventually die for real, probably in some kind of heroic sacrifice to save his people. Not sure about the others though.

I'd be surprised if any Heralds survived, just because their time is long up and it would clear the rubble of the Oathpact. On top of that, Kaladin doesn't strike me as smart or non-suicidal enough to live through the whole thing. I can't imagine Jashah actually dying, but given that she's just as mortal as anyone else once she's out of Stormlight that would be a good gut punch.

I also think either Shallan or Pattern is going to die. He keeps telling her she's going to kill him, and the further she progresses as a Radiant the worse her mental state gets, so I can see either her falling apart or her abandoning her oaths for her own sake. It would be a pretty interesting development, and it could tie in with her dual loyalties.

Also I'm terrified that Moash will live just long enough to make me feel bad for him again and then die. Because that's what I would do.

Edited by Ahriman

31 minutes ago, Ripheus23 said:

Maybe we will see an Eshonai POV of her on Braize?

We won't. 

Overlord Jebus [PENDING REVIEW]

Has Eshonai left for the Beyond?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Yes. I'll canonize this. I'm sorry. 

*sounds of horror and shock* Noooo, nooooo, RAFO it!

You wanted..that was a RAFO-bait but, so I never intended that..if you want to leave this one out there...But I never intended Timbre to be Eshonai's soul. When people said that in the beta, I'm like, "Oh, I guess you could see that, but I mean that's not how spren work, right?"

I was going to say, so you're saying Timbre is not Eshonai's soul.

No. I never even thought they would make that connection. Because we saw Timbre in the previous book. I mean, I don't want to kill people's fan theories. But that one kind of blindsided me in the beta. I'm like, "Well I guess we'll go ahead and let people think that but...no." No.

You can leave that one off if you want to tease people and things. Some people really want to believe that.

I made a bet that Eshonai was not only still be alive after Words of Radiance, but would also become Radiant. And then the bet was if not I had to eat a shoe.

Oh no!

So I've been trying to get out of it for like...

Well you could eat a gummy shoe or something like that. 

But no, I didn't intend this. No.

source

Edit: while the rest of the WoB is fun at @Overlord Jebus expense, the key is the first question and answer.

Eshonai isn't on Braize. She went beyond. 

Radiants don't go to Braize, regardless.

Edited by Calderis

This doesn't mean she never was on Braize, does it? It could be that in the flashbacks to her (are we getting those? I don't remember for sure seeing that SA4 was supposed to be from her POV or whatever), we get a period on Braize and then she goes to the Beyond, but that at any rate, by the otherwise contemporary time, she is in the Beyond.

Per the WoB linked in my edit, I doubt it. There's no mechanism to pull her to Braize unless she were a Fused or a Herald. 

She's gone. Her flashbacks will presumably show us more about listener culture, Gavilar's interactions with the listeners, and stuff about her and Venli.