origin of the Stormfather

stonefaceman

**WARNING** Spoilers for Oathbringer. 

I am going through my second read through of oathbringer and just recently passed the part where Dalinar brings queen Fen into her first vision with the Stormfather.  He states during this particular run through of the vision that the houses (made of wood) are missing something that he cannot quite put his finger on.  my original question was whether or not the highstorms were always present in the past.  after thinking about that for a little bit I realized that, of course, they have been around likely from the beginning of the creation of Roshar as the Stormfather said he's been around but changed after honors death.  the following question that came up has had me wondering about whether or not highstorms and the stormfather have always been the bearer of stormlight?  if the Stormfather only really gained sentience following up to the Honor's death, could that mean he did not deliver stormlight to the gems before?  in oathbringer, it hints at the fact that maybe the knight radiant could very well have been headed by Honor himself, so could Honor not refill the stormlight at his own will?

sorry if this topic was already discussed, I'm new and did some limited searching.  just asking what you guys think about this, so if you want me to define on some things, I would be happy to do so.

Eshonai referred to the Stormfather as the Rider of storms, and speaks about how he had betrayed the listeners and chosen humans. 

I believe that the Stormfather has always existed, created by Adonalsium along with Roshar, and has been changed multiple times. First when Honor and Cultivation arrived and altered the system, and again at Honor's death.

None of this is said explicitly anywhere, but between the "betrayal" of the Rider of storms, and these two WoBs...

Narkac

Where does the Stormlight in highstorms come from? Is there like a "rain cycle", but for the Stormlight?

Brandon Sanderson

The Stormlight in the highstorm is transferred from the Spiritual realm through the Stormfather into the highstorm.

source

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

There was a point when the Heralds didn't need to draw Stormlight from gems, although the Stormlight-in-gems predates Honor's arrival.

There was a following conversation about this topic, about how a lot of the elements were there before Honor arrived, but he co-opted them. So, Stormlight were there, but there are big differences now.

Footnote: Unspecified question by Pagerunner.
source

I believe that Adonalsium made the Stormfather as a delivery system for Stormlight as a key part of Roshar's Ecological system. 

7 hours ago, stonefaceman said:

if the Stormfather only really gained sentience following up to the Honor's death, could that mean he did not deliver stormlight to the gems before?  in oathbringer, it hints at the fact that maybe the knight radiant could very well have been headed by Honor himself, so could Honor not refill the stormlight at his own will?

The Stormfather had sentience prior to Honor's death.  Honor's death (and the subsequent merging of the Stormfather with Tanavast's Cognitive Shadow) only augmented his sentience.  We know that the Stormfather had bonded with Knights Radiant before, which had to be prior to the Recreance.  Honor's death took place after the Recreance.  

The Knights Radiant were not headed by Honor.  The direct Investiture infusion from Honor was only for the Heralds via the Honorblades.  

• Chaos locked this topic