Two Accounts of the Girl Who Looked Up

Pagerunner

I've said this before, I think like Pagerunner that this is a parable about how Hoid, like Prometheus, stole the power of Adonalsium to try and bring this power to human kind. I think this is the reason for his appellation "Bearer of the first gem".

I actually asked Brandon at the Portland Oathbringer release signing if Hoid was the girl who looked up. He seemed shocked when I asked that first bit, but I then added some other over-reaching questions that muddied the WoB waters to the point where he could safely give the non-committal answer that "that's not right, but thinking along the right lines".

Edited by hoiditthroughthegrapevine
Added the link to my post with the expanded paraphrased wob explanation

I think there might be another piece of evidence towards this that you perhaps didn’t notice because of your focus only on the two versions of this one story. If you look at all the other stories Hoid tells, he doesn’t give any definitive answers to anything. He tells the story and the listener decides on the moral. In this one he makes a declaration and contradicts Shallan when she says “How should I know?” Hoid makes clear the girl was BOTH bold and foolish, 

I like this idea. Hoid is hinting at his own past.

A parallel I found in thinking about how people lived in darkness in Hoid's story was the Singers. They are made more dangerous by having their souls restored, but now they can truly live again and understand the world, unlike how they were before where they were in slave form. They couldn't take god's light into their hearts, because they couldn't connect to spren and let them into their gemhearts. Now they've been healed. 

I don't think this is the important secret truth Brandon implies that Hoid is hinting at, Hoid's role in the Shattering fits, but it is a connection I noticed. 

Edited by Child of Hodor

I like the ideas here and I think you are probably very close with the metaphorical nature of the Story. As to the Rosharan Historical basis, I have my own theory that Hoid, as the girl who looked up, was responsible for triggering the desolations.

He was close to the Singers at the time of the first desolations, his POV chapter at the end of OB mentions that he had danced with one of the fused before. As they were the original Singers who went to Odium, this implies pretty strongly that he was there.

Hoid also mentions that if Odium and his forces discovered him in Kholinar, then the entire city would be Raysed (Sorry-not-Sorry). For the most part, the Fused seem to follow Odium but they are shown to disagree with him on some issues. Destroying an entire city which could be used by the new Singers is likely not something they would be eager to do and while Odium could force or threaten them, it would still be somewhat reluctant. Unless of course, the Fused themselves had a vested interest in finding him. Again, this is supported by more in-text references, as Hoid states that they had been "Trained to watch for him".

So at one point, just before the desolations began, Hoid was besties with the Singers and now they all hate his guts enough to annihilate an entire city. I can only think of one thing which would cause such a rapid turnaround: Betrayal.

Assuming that Hoid betrayed the Singers, by stealing Stormlight (God's Light could also apply here, as Stormlight is investiture and Adonalsium was basically a ton of Investiture) or otherwise prompting a human invasion. Possibly this could even relate to the betrayal of the spren referenced by the Listeners in WoR, where they swapped Singers for the more engaging Humans.

As to why he would do this, Hoid has already told Dalinar that he would be willing to destroy Roshar for his goals. If starting thousands of years of war resulted in trapping Odium (and potentially defeating him, depending on how the series goes), would it be worth it to him? I think so.

But hey, that's just a theory...

cosmere crackpot theory!

Thanks for putting up with my insane ranting reading, feel free to put your helpful comments expertly WoB-supported refutations below.

• 2 years later...

I disagree on some ways I think it’s parallels to stone shamanism are too obvious to ignore. 

but I think you miss the significance of the white hair it tells us who the girl is, it’s ash. 
I think while it does make sense to carry metaphorical and emotional significance Brandon seems to very often have hoid tell stories that are both metaphorically true and hunt at dealer truths but also have real word implications. For example fleet is both a emotionally recent story to kaladin and also clearly true in some historical context because multiple people see him striding through the storm.

but if the wall is shinovars mountains or the barrier between roshar and ashyn then the heralds must be alive as normal people at this point
I think it unlikely to be ashyn due to no mention of any catastrophe.

we also know ash was either born on ashyn and crossed at a very young age or was born on roshar.

so the idea is either ash somehow breaks into the cognitive realm and gets to roshar as a young girl or crosses the mountains of shinovar. I think it’s the latter considering the complacency of the people If they just crossed over form a dying world I doubt they woudl really want to expand at the moment, but childish curiosity wouldn’t care especially if she knew nothing of where they came from.

additionally shallan constantly superimposes herself on the girl but when doing so the girls hair changes white without her meaning to, this is the worst evidence but ash is the Lightweavers herald so there is a connection.

this is a terrible way of explaining it but the evidence and logic of the story lines up too neatly your interpretation is interesting but if there is a historical truth to this story I find it more likely to be about ash, because idk why a story about parshmen woudl have been told to hoid or one about his own past that doesn’t make sense

Edited by Valigus

@Valigus Of course you’re free to disagree, but I think Hoid is still a better candidate than Shalash. There are only three pieces if evidence pointing to Shalash being the girl who looked up. 1) She was young when humans arrived on Roshar, which is when many people think the historical events that inspired the story took place. This is extremely circumstantial evidence; she simply happened to be the right age at what many think is the right time. 2) In the endpapers of OB, Ash is portrayed with white hair. To be honest, I have serious doubts whether her hair is actually white. In the books, she’s described as having dark black hair, and while she could be dying it, we have no confirmation, unlike Hoid. Plus, her hair in the image is extremely stylized and geometric looking, to the point it looks nothing like realistic hair. This suggests that it’s likely symbolic, with the white glow of the hair possibly referring to the light based powers of the order she stands for. It’s up to debate, but suffice to say, we’re more certain Hoid has white hair than Shalash. 3) Ash is a girl while Hoid is not. This could be explained through gender bending over millennia of the story being retold, as the OP suggests. Perhaps the story could have even been inspired by Hoid originally, and then taken inspiration from Ash as the tale was passed down on Roshar. This is made more likely if I’m wrong about Ash’s hair. 

Meanwhile, Hoid lines up nicely with the facts. I won’t repeat all of the OP’s points, but they feel very cohesive and logical to me. The main problem I think you have is that the story is too obviously Rosharan in its setting to be about Hoid, based on your comments about stone shamanism and the wall referring to the Misted Mountains. But Pagerunner addressed this in his conclusion, that while yes, the story is heavily influenced by the human-Singer conflict and Roshar in general, there are deeper inspirations tracing their origins to the beginning of the cosmere. Also, I had trouble understanding your post, so maybe if you explained it more concisely I’d understand better why you disagree with the theory.