Damaya stared at her hands in disblieve.
"What's that?"
she muttered under her breath just as her hands became visible again.
"You could learn how to do somthing like that on your own."
Coru whispered into her ear and she decided, that she didn't want to know had happened.
She leaned on the counter and waited for Pallas to return. After a second, she checked her hands again to make sure she was still visible.

I couldn't figure out where the main entrance door is, and how big the whole waystop is, but otherwise yes.

Just now, I am Witless said:

Can everybody see and make sense of the map?

I can make sense of the map but have no idea where the entrance is

"Yeah, sure, of course." Araha nodded at the woman who she assumed was either the owner of the Waystop, or an employee. "We--" she cut herself off. "uhhh, I'm here to learn more about a certain Investiture. Where can I, um, sign in?" she asked miming a gesture of writing

Edited by Cyanic

Invisibly, Laurelai made her way back into the main building, hoping no one else had been caught up in the effects this time.

She waited in a hallway until she turned visible again, then made her way out into the main entrance where a group of new arrivals waited. Quietly, she took a chair in the corner of the room, watching everyone and occasionally taking some notes.

The Liebrarian nodded and thanked Yzabet before going in the direction she had indicated. Stepping into the library, she checked the sorting system. It is the reverse lighthouse. Very impressive. I've never met anyone outside our order who is knowledgeable to use it. Satisfied, she moved away from the actual books before checking the shelves. Nice hardwood. More than acceptable. Finished, for her final act she checked on her transporters glass she had stashed outside the window.

Moving back to Yzabet, she smiled as she walked up. "That was fantastic. I've never met anybody who wasn't a Liebrarian who had such a fantastic grasp of the proper way to take care of a library. Are you sure you wouldn't like to join our order? If not, I'm assuming you'd like a full time Liebrarian to come to take care of it? A salary isn't necessary, we pay our acolytes ourselves. The training they will receive is payment enough. Although I should be clear that this Liebrarian would be an NPC, we don't have nearly enough player character Liebrarians."

NPC is a canonical in world thing, right? We're allowed to do that? If not, then that last sentence didn't happen.

Edited by Kidpen

1 minute ago, Cyanic said:

Sounds too meta to me

We break the fourth wall all the time. How I think of it are all player characters are the same as NPC's but have a 'sponsor' which is the RPer. Essentially making them more important. Although, I might be thinking way too meta.:D

7 minutes ago, Kidpen said:

NPC is a canonical in world thing, right? We're allowed to do that? If not, then that last sentence didn't happen. 

Now it is ;)

I would have put the sentence in a quote, but that's more a personal preference.

The bottom rightish thing with the brown paths leading out of it is the entrance. :blink: Sorry about that. The map is about 10 ft to an inch (or about 3 meters to 2.5 cm), so Waystop isn't that big. NPC's are usually only used when another character can't do a certain action (ex. a servant getting drinks for the main characters), but I see no reason why you couldn't develop a NPC to a secondary character.

Pallas looked back at Dayama while he waited for the other guest to order.

"Where'd you come from?"

"Just right here." Yzabet smiled, holding out a clipboard and pen. "Would you like a room as well? Investiture training is free if you rent a room, as long as you help around a bit." Yzabet eyed Laurelai, then Ioc, and finally Amber, who was still waiting. People were coming in faster than she could keep track of. She turned to the Liebrarian, feeling a bit harried. She'd never had this many people show up at one time.

"Thank you, but I'm not interested in joining the Liebrarians. I think that a non-player character Liebrarian would be sufficient. I don't get much traffic here - at least, I didn't until now - but I don't like having to go through and make sure that the books are in order. Or stolen. A man with white hair came through and stole some books once, the only ones that I have on Lightweaving. I have a tracer on them, but it will still take years to get them back. Basic Liebrarian stuff. So yes, we're good." By now Yzabet was starting to feel just a little bit anxious. There wasn't supposed to be this many people!

Damaya shrugged.
"Through the door."
she answered and then added more seriously:
"I don't know what happened. I couldn't see my hands for a short while and you obviously didn't see me as well. Maybe Yzabet knows what's going on."

Dayne walked through the forest, his steel saves almost empty, no ferruchymi velocity stocked up, his clothes damaged by the harsh of the travell, and with not food or water with him, he was in the breach of falling uncontious, adding his skinny body he looked even younger than he was, which is not so much to be truth, only 19." so this is it, this is how I end, lost alone in this forrest, this is what I get for trusting people" In that moment is when he saw it, it looked like an inn, but better for him as he was."At last! my salvation!" he exclaimed and with his last strenght managed to enter the waystop, through the main entrance, and managed to say," some water please" before collapsing in the floor from exhaustation.

That’s my cue!

“GEEHAW!” Clay bounced in his saddle as his horse raced across the rocky trail. “Faster, Kicker! There’s still time!”

The horse’s hooves pounded up a cloud of dust behind them. The noonday sun shone overhead, undiluted by the thin wisps of clouds that stretched like snakes across the sky. As they clattered across a wooden bridge, Clay wiped the perspiration from his brow. Navigating the twisting trail was treacherous at such speeds.

Gradually, the universally recognizable scent of cookies baking began to fill air. It got stronger the farther up the path they went, until finally Clay and Kicker burst into a clearing dominated by a rambling stone building. The Waystop.

“Whoa, boy,” Clay shouted. “This is the place! The feeling is coming from over there.” As his horse skidded to a stop, Clay slid out of his saddle and began to run towards the building. He barely noticed the strange flora underfoot. Nor the unlikely concentration of spiders hanging from… everywhere. His eyes saw only one thing. Him.

I’m too late. He’s about to say it. This is gonna hurt.

As Dayne, for that was who the focus of Clay’s attention was, stumbled through the main entrance of the Waystop, the world seemed to slow. Clay watched the man’s sweat drip from his skin. Drop by tantalizing drop. His chest expanded, sucking in air to say those horrible words.

Please, not again. Not after last time. It took so long to clean up afterwards, Clay thought as Dayne let the words on his mind slip from his lips.

“Some water, please.”

It was all Clay could do to stay on his feet as the realization of what had just happened stunned him. He didn’t say it. He didn’t say it!

“YES! Thank you so very, very much!” he cheered as he arrived beside the man’s fallen body. “You didn’t say, ‘It’s coming’! Or ‘Beware so and so’! Or make any warning whatsoever!” Clay stopped to catch his breath, so he’d stop using so many exclamation marks.

He sat down next to the man. “Don’t get me wrong. That was still as five or six on the Sehr-Klischee Scale. But you didn’t die, so I’ll let it slide.” Clay glanced at the man’s face. “Please don’t die on me. Especially not after delivering an important piece of information or leaving a vital clue. That would be unfortunate.”

Clay splashed some water from his canteen on the man’s lips. Best not overdo it. He then got to his feet and began to investigate his surroundings. There were a few people around, he nodded to them in greeting. He was getting senses from a few areas around him. Outside, hidden away. Near the kitchen. Something with a strong aura in the library. He was used to them, he always picked up on a few whenever people were around, so he noted each one and moved on. If he had time, he could investigate them later. For now, he needed a room. And maybe some food. 

Edited by Archer

"Probably a good idea." She shrugged. Master Soren gave her some amount of chrysts before sending her off in case she needed them. They should be enough for a room. She signed the paper without even reading everything on it, and she felt a small buzz of force on her temple, likely caused by Ran 'nudging' her. It wasn't painful but it got her attention, they'll probably talk about it later. "So how much for the room?" She asked then gave herself a small mental slap for signing even before she knew the cost of a room.

"The longer you stay, the cheaper it gets. Five crysts a night, but that doesn't count meals. I usually bargain, but we can deal with that later. I'll come talk with you in your room when I find time Room 207-A." Yzabet handed the piece of paper to Araha, then turned to Laurelai. 

"How may I help you, miss?" Two more showed up. Yzabet out forth her best hostesses face, but inside was thinking AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH 

Araha smiled and took the keys to her room. "Thank you!"

After a bit of wandering, she found her room. The place wasn't large, but she wasn't particularly good with directions, though not so much so that she'd get lost in a city. Well, not all the time that is.

As she entered her room, she took off her leather boots and butt-cape, putting the cape on a rack and the boots by them. She sat on the bed, taking off her socks and lying down. Ran turned into her familiar humanoid shape, as large as Araha and sat on the air by the bed, cross legged.

"So, why'd y'nudge me?" Araha asked, beginning to close her eyes on the bed, the journey here was long and she was apparently exhausted.

"You should read papers that you put your name on, no matter how innocuous they initially seem." Ran said, a bit of a scolding tone, but it wasn't obvious.

"ugh, but it's boriiiing..."

"Ara, that was just a list of other people who've also signed in." The spren replied, a sigh in her voice.

"Yeah, exactly! I don't need to read that, s'not like it's a contract to sell my body or anything." Araha trailed off and her eyes shot open. "I-it's not, is it?"

This time Ran audibly sighed, "no, fortunately for you, I read what was on the form and it was just names."

"Phew, well, I mean, if I got you, why'd I need to read any papers at all?" Araha chuckled which just won her another sigh and a facepalm from Ran.

"Bottom line is that you have to be more responsible, you have to stop depending on me too much."

"Yeah. Okay. Understandable." Araha replied she did understand Ran's point. After a short pause, she began conversation again, "so what'd you think of the lady? The one that runs the place?"

Ran nodded, putting her hand on her chin. "Yes, she's likely the proprietor of the place. She seems kind and trustworthy, if a bit stressed."

"Yeah, there were a lot of people. Did you catch a good look at any of them? Any of them stand out to you? Seem suspicious?"

Ran laughed quietly. "The better question would be who didn't seem suspicious." At that, Araha returned the laugh and nodded. She did like training and all, but she loved the times when she could talk to Ran and have some quiet fun.

Edited by Cyanic

Dayne was not very concious when the man came to him, but he did feel the water, and hear something about klischee, "what in father storm are you talking about?" He then reached and took clay canteen, and drink all the water he could before leaving it on the floor. He stand up and look around the room at all the people in there"wow, here is sure crowded"

Damaya watched Pallas help his mother and then finally entered the kitchen. It was warm, a fire heating the oven, the dough nearly ready. Kneading it a last time she started splitting it in smaller potions and rolled them into small balls. She then pushed them into the oven and started humming a little song. It felt good to do something, to keep her hands busy and her mind far away from dangerous thoughts. Coru started to hum along with her and she let him. There were so many strange people in the general room. The chance that someone else would look at Coru and decide to use them were slim. And in the end, it couldn't really get worse than in the city.
The work calmed her and her joking, laughing mask fell down, as she fetched the hot cakes out of the oven, putting another batch into it. There wasn't any need for it here, no one to convince, not even herself. It felt good to put it on, to be carefree for a few moments, to laugh and joke, but this, this quietness, was what she cherished even more. Her problems, her fears were far away, while she concentrated on the task at hand. Her past was her past and her future her future. This was the present and in the small, quiet bubble of the kitchen it was enough. It wasn't perfect, but it was enough.

Pausing for a moment she decided to make more dough, as it seemed like the Waystop would be full this evening.

@Voidus, that would make my life a lot easier. :)

"Oh, wait. Sorry, Laurelai. Dinner tonight will be hotcakes, dessert is huckleberry cobbler. Choose whichever room you want." Yzabet took a deep breath and turned to Ioc, who was next in line. 

"How may I help you, sir?"

Pallas looked over at Damaya and spoke in a way that was intended to be friendly, but came out harsh.

"What are you doing?" He asked. 

Laurelai smiled shyly up at Yzabet, before nodding silently.

She continued watching the other occupants of the room interestedly, occasionally taking notes on their behaviours. She tried to reason why some of them were behaving as they were, what their history was and how it had shaped them.

She watched the other young woman who'd left after signing in, she'd seemed rushed but why? Just a flighty personality? Or some recent event? Perhaps just a long day?

She watched and noted, and when possible tried to apply some of her reasoning to herself. Why was she sitting here right now, watching people? Well to train for her Essence Marks. But why now? What part of her personality had prompted her to try to make an Essence Mark and not, dive into other areas of scholarship.
When she'd retrieved her dagger from Velav, she'd thought that his work seemed interesting. The process of shaping metal with physical strength rather than a Soulstamp. Why hadn't she decided to try something like that? Why try to progress her Forging abilities?

She lost herself in her work, taking notes in her own form of shorthand and scrawling manically across the page as she processed her surroundings and her own thoughts.

Ioc started walking in circles. It could understand the map, of course, but it chose not to follow it. Ioc liked circles. maybe if it walked long enough, it would wear a circle into the floor.

Ioc started humming. It was content.

'You realize,' said Somatosensory Cortex, 'That you will wear your feet away before you wear away the cobblestones, right?'

'Huh,'  said Subconscious. 'Wear. You're right. I do need new clothes,'

'I'm not sure that's what he meant...' said Prefrontal Cortex.

'I'm sure it's not,' said Amygdala. 'Let's go!'

Edited by Gancho Libre

Damaya smiled at Pallas, ignoring his harsh thone. As long as he didn't scream at her, she could handle that.

"Hot cakes. Your mother told me I could do it to earn a lesson ."

Proudly she showed him a basket with the ready ones.

"Do you want to try?"

1 hour ago, Cyanic said:

Yes it would be. Damaya's in the Kirchen;)

Might make Araha walk around a bit, but I don't think she'd step into the kitchen without permission first lol

While Araha was tired, the prospect of meeting new people put her on edge... good edge. Excitement. That was the word. She sat up. "I'm thinking about talking with the lady."

"The one that owns the Waystop?" Ran asked.

"Yeah, her. She said our lessons were free if we helped around, I wonder what she meant by that?"

"I don't think I've ever heard of anyone taking their clients into their employ for an incentive. It's a good tactic." Ran commented and looked the room over, it was fairly clean and well maintained. "The room is clean so it's likely not housekeeping that she needs help with."

In the corner of her eye, Araha saw movement on the wall. She jumped and fell into stance. Only to realize it was a spider. She did remember a sign outside that said they must not be afraid of spiders if they wanted to enter. She relaxed.

"You're awfully jumpy today?" Ran said. "Is it the new people? It's likely the new people. Excitement?"

"Yeah, probably. What about you, aren't you excited? This is our first adventure outside Master's watch!" Araha replied.

"I am, I suppose. I'm just better at containing it than sooome people. I am an honorspren after all. I should be dignified." Ran tilted her head up in mock-haught.

Araha replied by blowing a raspberry.

"Case in point." Ran smirked. Araha sneered at her. She was usually the one to have the last laugh when it came to their wordplay and cleverness contests. She sighed and got up.

"Anyway, I'm gonna talk with the lady, you coming?"

"Of course." Ran smiled this time, more genuine, less smug. She shrunk and became the shape of a hairclip again.

-

Araha made her way back to the lobby where the people were, and she saw the owner who was talking with another of the guests. When she finished talking with them, Araha walked up to her. "Um, excuse me, you said I could help around, what should I help with?" She asked before quickly adding: "U-uh, I'm sorry if this is a bad time. I can, I can go back to my room if that's better?"