Best Cutscenes in Video Games?

Ammanas

Not much of a gamer but I am replaying the original Starcraft and was reminded how much I enjoyed The Emperor Mengsk coronation speech. That would be my vote! Makes proud to be a Terran! If you want to participate in this thread please provide a link a little background. In this video the player was a participant in events the lead to a coup and a change of government. It's not much on graphics, but a lot of fun!

That's really a hard question. There are a lot of cut scenes I like a lot. So I chose two of them, because both thouched me deeply.

The first one is from Mass Effect 3. What hit me most, was that I as a player wanted to save this character (and I could have done so, though I would have to destroy a races chance fo a future with children), but the character convinced me to let him do this. That the race had problems reproducing was his work and he wanted to atone, and I simply couldn't take him that possibility.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-_X9Tsg0Fc

The other one is from Dragon Age. When I saw it the first time, I sat in front of my computer, shouted no and started crying. The important person in the video is the woman holding the bow. She was a compainion in the first part of the series and I always took her on missions, romanced her and I loved her character. She changed during the three parts of the game and I was so happy to see her again in the third one, to again be able to interact with her. And then not even a quarter of the game later they presented me this scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pP41j2bTF3Q

Oh well, maybe I get a bit too attached to these fictional characters...

• 2 weeks later...

Just cutscenes, right ? Trailers not included ? If it was just cutscenes. 

BTW BUNCH OF SPOILERS AHEAD (well this thread is a spoiler already anyways)

Warcraft 3 (warcraft has some really good ones)

The most iconic videogame rendition of "You Either Die A Hero, Or You Live Long Enough To See Yourself Become The Villain". 

The "OH rust we lost" realization from wc3 as well. Where the bigbad comes manages to get summoned.

The BOOM ending

The Last of Us (has alot of plenty good ones but i'm gonna list down just the few most impactful)

That moment when Ellie and Joel reunites as Ellie kills the child molester. Finally admitting what they have for each other (adopted Father and Daughter relationship)

This one hurt so much

DRAGON AGE FRANCHISE

The Battle at Ostagar(seriously i didn't expect this kind of cinematic quality for a game around early 2000's)

When you have been playing for hours and then you realize the game has just begun (aka Inquisition going full disney sing along)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
2 hours ago, Who Sharded? said:

Man any time I think about Xenoblade, Engage the Enemy comes to mind.  The song is always synced perfectly to the cutscenes.

My love for Xenoblade can not be understated.

Me neither, man. Easily my favorite game of all time.

Some highlights on cutscenes: Battle of Sword Valley, Colony 9 attack, Xord shows up, “Unfinished Battle”...

There’s too many great ones to list. Not to mention all the amazing music accompanying them.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2019 at 8:22 AM, Zurvanite said:

Hope you guys don't mind the necro on this thread lol, anyways this is a cutscene in FFXIV that happens during the Binding Coil of Bahamut raid. Better known as Bahamut vs Phoenix.

In the spirit of this, I have to nominate the Alexander vs Bahamut and Odin vs Cleyra cutscenes form FFIX.  The XIV graphics are better, and the sequence is longer and probably more coherent, since the FFIX one is really multiple cutscenes interspersed with gameplay, but for my money, watching Bahamut wreck a city only to be rebuffed by Alexander is a cooler scene.