Hoid's Quest

Child of Hodor

Excerpt from The Traveler (Hoid and Frost talking on Yolen post-Hero Of Ages) 

JordanCon 2018 (April 20, 2018)

You will not find a way to restore what you have lost, old friend,” the aged man said softly. ”It is impossible.” 

“You don’t know that. The old rules no longer hold.” The Traveler turned the pomegranate over in his fingers. ”Besides, I’ve heard of a place… It doesn’t matter. I don’t care. This isn’t about the dead… or it’s not JUST about the dead, at least.”

Words of Radiance Epigraphs (Frost Letter to Hoid)

Chapter 59 I’ll address this letter to my "old friend," as I have no idea what name you're using currently.

Chapter 60 Have you given up on the gemstone, now that it is dead?

Oathbringer Epigraph Chapter 42: "Cephandrius, bearer of the First Gem,"

In The Traveler quote above Frost indicates that Hoid is trying to restore something he lost. Hoid says it's not JUST about the dead. It seems like Hoid's quest is about bringing back a loved one. A person, one would think. However, the epigraph letters I reference above indicate that Hoid was really closely linked to a special gemstone that is now "dead" in the words of Frost. Could this be what Hoid is trying to restore?

As the "First Gem" it sounds really special, it may have even been a sentient, sapient object. Not a person, but an entity that was important to Hoid for more than just the power it gave him. 

I got this idea while listening to the Shardcast that discussed the WoB about the weapon used against Adonalsium being the same thing that gave Hoid immortality and that it was "expended". 

The First Gem is definitely referencing Topaz, which has been associated with him for a while. Why, we don't know :)

ParadoxicalZen

The Second Letter, Frost mentions a gemstone, is that in the Moon Scepter?

Brandon Sanderson

No, good question. That is a topaz, which was associated with him for a long time and had some mystical properties.

source

Here are some interesting factoid about the stuffs, from Wikipedia:

Topaz is a silicate mineral of aluminium and fluorine[...] Orange topaz, also known as precious topaz, is the traditional November birthstone, the symbol of friendship, and the state gemstone of the US state of Utah. ... Although very hard, topaz must be treated with greater care than some other minerals of similar hardness (such as corundum) because of a weakness of atomic bonding of the stone's molecules along one or another axial plane (whereas diamonds, for example, are composed of carbon atoms bonded to each other with equal strength along all of its planes). This gives topaz a tendency to fracture [shatter!] along such a plane if struck with sufficient force.

Here's some info about crystals in general [from the "Crystal system" Wikipedia article]:

The 7 crystal systems consist of 32 crystal classes... ‌The four-dimensional unit cell is defined by four edge lengths (a, b, c, d) and six interaxial angles (α, β, γ, δ, ε, ζ). The following conditions for the lattice parameters define 23 crystal families [...]

I'm wondering if the possible different Shatterings of Adonalsium would correspond to differences like these...

• Chaos locked this topic