Is Feruchemy a power of Harmony or Preservation?

Furamirionind

Pretty much everything we know about the powers on Scadrial are under the assumption that Preservation represents a net gain, Harmony - Neutral, and Ruin - Negative.  However, Harmony truly represents harmony between Preservation and Ruin, not necessarily net neutral.

What we know is based on the perspective of in world characters. They believe that Preservation represents a net positive, however, keeping the same, unchanging..."preserving"... That should all be net neutral. So what if Feruchemy is actually of Preservation.  This would make more sense to me as it has a net neutral effect, just like what Preservation should be. This would mean that Allomancy would be of Harmony. (it has been a while since I read era 2, so hopefully I am not forgetting something)

We always think of Allomancy being net positive, but it feels net negative to me. Just slightly.  What happens to the metal after it is burned?  It is used up. Power lost, material destroyed.  Preservation is neutral, Ruin is negative, and Harmony is in between.

Feruchemy is neutral, Hemalurgy is negative, and Allomancy is in between (slightly negative)

Brandon even says that he would consider Feruchemy closer to Preservation than ruin: (and everything else he says is the "in world philosophy")

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/60-firefight-san-francisco-signing/#e6761 #70 (sorry, I don't know how to quote from here)

Does this idea make any sense? is there any information out there that disproves or supports this?

Edited by Furamirionind

We have explicit word of Brandon that Allomancy is of Preservation, Hemalurgy of Ruin:

Questioner

Allomancy is of Preservation, correct?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes...

Questioner

What are Feruchemy and Hemalurgy of?

Brandon Sanderson

Hemalurgy is definitely of Ruin.

Questioner

Is it of pure Ruin?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. That's a very Ruin thing. And Feruchemy is more of a blend. Though… there is more philosophy to that and human construct—like the Allomantic table—than I think I’ve made clear before.

source

And a pretty heavy indication:

Czanos

Preservation can fuel Allomancy, (Minus Atium.) but can Ruin fuel Hemalurgy? (Or Atium?) And could Sazed fuel all three Metallic Arts?

Brandon Sanderson

Both gods could, if they wanted, fuel all of the metallic arts. Preservation is stronger at fueling Allomancy, Ruin stronger at fueling Allomancy or Feruchemy when it has been given via a spike. Both are balanced when it comes to Feruchemy. But this rarely comes up in the books, as it required expending power in a way that the gods were hesitant to do.

source

If they're balanced at fueling Feruchemy then that's definitely a very strong suggestion that it's a balance of their powers.

Allomancy is of Preservation because it's how you obtain the power that matters, Preserving yourself by using the power from something else*
source

The reason Allomancy doesn't match Preservation is because Shardic Intents are not self directed. I don't have the WoB, but Shard Intents are applied to the Shard's outward actions, not to themselves. Preservation isn't about self-Preservation, and Ruin isn't inherently suicidal. Preservation's magic system preserves all the power of the user - it doesn't expend any of it, as happens in Feruchemy. In Feruchemy, everything comes from the user. Stuff is expended, not preserved. Allomancy has power coming from Preservation, thus preserving all the person's power.

• 4 months later...
On 8/16/2018 at 11:07 AM, Furamirionind said:

Pretty much everything we know about the powers on Scadrial are under the assumption that Preservation represents a net gain, Harmony - Neutral, and Ruin - Negative.  However, Harmony truly represents harmony between Preservation and Ruin, not necessarily net neutral.

What we know is based on the perspective of in world characters. They believe that Preservation represents a net positive, however, keeping the same, unchanging..."preserving"... That should all be net neutral. So what if Feruchemy is actually of Preservation.  This would make more sense to me as it has a net neutral effect, just like what Preservation should be. This would mean that Allomancy would be of Harmony. (it has been a while since I read era 2, so hopefully I am not forgetting something)

We always think of Allomancy being net positive, but it feels net negative to me. Just slightly.  What happens to the metal after it is burned?  It is used up. Power lost, material destroyed.  Preservation is neutral, Ruin is negative, and Harmony is in between.

Feruchemy is neutral, Hemalurgy is negative, and Allomancy is in between (slightly negative)

Brandon even says that he would consider Feruchemy closer to Preservation than ruin: (and everything else he says is the "in world philosophy")

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/60-firefight-san-francisco-signing/#e6761 #70 (sorry, I don't know how to quote from here)

Does this idea make any sense? is there any information out there that disproves or supports this?

This thought has been driving me nuts for a while, and I came here to ask this exact question haha. Glad you beat me to it so I could just read all the replys! 

I guess since there's a WoB saying Allomancy is of Preservation, I'll just accept it and move on, but I was thinking exactly along the lines you were

• Chaos locked this topic