When we see new Shardworlds?

Jakkobz

Question

8 answers to this question

We still haven't seen the Ashyn other than a reading, but we will if he ever does The Silence Divine. Obrodai is a shardworld but who knows if we'll see it (or if we have already). The world that Aether of Night is set on is a shardworld, we haven't seen a canon version of it but we may get to meet a person from it in Nightblood iirc. We'll get to see Yolen in maybe a decade in Dragonsteel. And of course we've already seen Sel, Nalthis, Scadrial, Taldain and Roshar. Maybe one of the remaining two will be in the Secret Project he's currently working on :ph34r:

Did I miss any? :o

Oh Braize. I missed Braize :D And maybe Vax as people get Initiated into a magic system there. 

Edit 2 - @Nathrangking Threnody and First of the Sun aren't Shardworlds (or at least are only Minor Shardworlds). But yeah there are more of those I'm sure. 

Edited by Extesian
FORGOT BRAIZE

9 minutes ago, Extesian said:

We still haven't seen the Ashyn other than a reading, but we will if he ever does The Silence Divine. Obrodai is a shardworld but who knows if we'll see it (or if we have already). The world that Aether of Night is set on is a shardworld, we haven't seen a canon version of it but we may get to meet a person from it in Nightblood iirc. We'll get to see Yolen in maybe a decade in Dragonsteel. And of course we've already seen Sel, Nalthis, Scadrial and Roshar. Maybe one of the remaining two will be in the Secret Project he's currently working on :ph34r:

Did I miss any? :o

Threnody and first of the sun

1 hour ago, Extesian said:

We'll get to see Yolen in maybe a decade in Dragonsteel.

But I'd argue that Yolen is not a Shardworld, seeing as no shards reside there. An Adonalsiumworld, perhaps, but not a Shardworld. 

52 minutes ago, Julio said:

But I'd argue that Yolen is not a Shardworld, seeing as no shards reside there. An Adonalsiumworld, perhaps, but not a Shardworld. 

I think Shardworld is almost synonymous with planet since minor Shardworlds are those without Shards (despite the two we've encountered being weird)

Yeah fair I was assuming the OP meant major shardworld but a shardworld may well be every planet created by adonalsium or a shard. But just to clarify a major shardworld has a shard present or has had in the past and remains sufficiently invested (and with a sufficient level of investiture available to its magic system). Threnody got showered in Shardcorpse and FotS got a sapient Shardisland but they're still minor because there is both no shard present and insufficient investment.

I still consider one of the major dividing lines between "major" and "minor" shardworlds (other than Shard residence) to be in strength of access to the magic, and control over it. I intend the minor shard worlds to involve interactions with the magic as setting--coming back to spren, you could have a minor shardworld with people who use, befriend, even bond spren. (Or the local equivalent--Seon, Aviar, etc.) But you'd never see power on the level of the city of Elantris, the actions of a Bondsmith, or even the broad power suite of a mistborn.

Source

Questioner

What differentiates a minor Shardworld like First of the Sun?

Brandon Sanderson

The amount of Investiture, and whether there is actually a Shard in presence.

Questioner

I'm assuming there is not one there?

Brandon Sanderson

There is not one there.

Questioner

So it's like a Splintered one from something else?

Brandon Sanderson

No what you'll find is that the worlds were all created with a level of-- a little bit of sort of ambient magic. What you'll find in worlds like that is things like, Shadows for Silence and things like this, the magic, it's not necessarily "people with magic" it's you can interact with nature...

Questioner

So there is inherent Investiture...

Brandon Sanderson

There is inherent investiture in every world created but you are going to see-- You aren't going to find Mistborn on a world like that but what you might find is a way there are magic aspects to the setting. Spren could exist on a world like that but they would be like the minor spren, you wouldn't find Syl, but you would find something like lifespren.

source

I would love for the Mystery Project to be a new minor shardworld. A natural magic system we've heard nothing about. That Autonomy still manages to mess with and Hoid still manages to steal from :lol:

2 hours ago, Extesian said:

I would love for the Mystery Project to be a new minor shardworld. A natural magic system we've heard nothing about. That Autonomy still manages to mess with and Hoid still manages to steal from :lol:

Unfortunately, Secret Project is not Cosmere.

Brandon Sanderson

I have the last quarter of this year earmarked to write the final Mistborn (Wax and Wayne) novel, which leaves me around six or seven months to play with, and I�m hoping to finish another book in the Skyward series. However, before I dive into that, there�s a certain novella I need to write. We�re listing that as �Secret Project� and it�s not anything you�re probably guessing. I�ll reveal it when the time is right, but for now, it�s not cosmere, and is not something I�ve talked about before.

Relevant WoB:

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

How many of the worlds in the cosmere do you eventually plan to talk about that we don't know about?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

...From what's been released, you've gotten almost all the important ones. There's, like, two or three ones I would consider relevant to... for instance, the planet that the Aethers, from Aether of Night, which is an unpublished book-- that's still part of the cosmere, I'm gonna do some stuff there. There are a couple of other worlds, one is mentioned in Oathbringer, just very briefly, in one of the epigraphs. There are others that I'll get to. But, when I designed the cosmere: Scadrial (Mistborn), Sel (Elantris), and Roshar were my pillars of the Cosmere story. With Yolen, the planet where it all started, just kind of being behind-the-scenes relevant. Those are the pillars of our story. Other planets will come into it, but those three-- there's nothing more important than the ones you've seen already.

source

2 hours ago, Unlicensed Hemalurgist said:

I really want to learn more about Obrodai and/or Vax, but I understand info on both Shardworlds(?) has been consistently RAFO'd since, like, ever

The most anyone has gotten out of Brandon on Vax is 'it's strongly implied to be a place', along with 'I could tell you more but I'm not going to' (you can imagine the cheeky expression he must have had). It's almost certainly a planet based on the context in which Khriss mentions it but Brandon won't even give us that much... xD

I'd like to know more about both too but I think Vax is far more likely to be seen at some point given how it's come up multiple times while Obrodai could just be an incidental mention.