Shades as Avatars

Kramerfarve

I had posted this idea in another topic, but it had apparently necro’d so no one saw it, link below. It had gone into the nature of shades as cognitive entities.

Could what makes the shades different from other cognitive entities be that they are partial avatars? 

I know we don’t know a lot about avatars yet, but it is assumed they have access to the shard’s shardpool, correct?

When a shade kills someone therefore, it suffuses them not just with investiture, but the shardpool of Ambition, connecting with the dormant parts of Ambition already in the spiritweb of natives from Threnody. Death separates the physical body, but the cognitive entity is forced back into the physical realm with the same pressure of the dor from Sel, because the investiture is trying to find purchase in the physical realm. Cognitive entity loses its mind during the transition from cognitive to physical like spren from Roshar.

If this is true, could shades be avatars missing their bodies?

If you’re comparing them to an Avatar like Kelsier, I would say yes. That said in my opinion cognitive entities who were once human are different from those who were created by pure investiture like spren. So Shades and kel are the same breed whereas spren are another entirely. I like to think about cognitive entities as having diffrent forms based on how they keep themselves from the beyond. In shades case it’s Ambitions investiture (probably) and for Kel it was preservation and willpower. 

It seems like you’ve got a lot mixed up here.

4 hours ago, Kramerfarve said:

it is assumed they have access to the shard’s shardpool, correct?

No, since you are talking about Autonomy’s avatars, from what we understand, they are large splinters of power from Autonomy that are a large enough mass of investiture coagulated in one place to form a shardpool.

on that note, a shardpool is simply investiture gatherer I’m a place “heavy” enough to blend the realms between each other, as they too are made up of investiture.

• Chaos locked this topic