Giant Shardblades

Would it be possible to cut a planet in half with an enormous Blade? Made from a live spren, of course. How big can Shardblades make themselves, anyway? Can they change their density to anything other than usual, so the Radiant holding it would be able to lift it? Syl might have done this when she turned into a hammer (do lightweight hammers break bones really well?) in the fight between Kaladin and Szeth.

They do have an upper size limit, about the size of a person.

Questioner

We've seen that the "Sylblade" can change shape to fit Kaladin's needs. Is there a limit on the size of the blade that Syl can become?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Questioner

Okay. And can you share with me what the upper limits on those sort of things would be?

Brandon Sanderson

Upper limits of hers are about human-sized.

Questioner

Is it always going to be something that has to be a fighting utensil, or does it have to...?

Brandon Sanderson

That's going to RAFO. You'll have to see.

[...]

I will say this. You have seen Syl changing shape from the first time she appears onscreen and she is frequently not a weapon.

Footnote: Edgedancer answers this fairly unequivically with the shard-rod and shard-fork
source

So no planet busters.

On 8/4/2018 at 3:57 AM, CrazyRioter said:

So no planet busters.

On 8/4/2018 at 4:56 AM, ScavellTane said:

What about the Stormfather though?

On 8/4/2018 at 5:48 AM, Faceless Mist-Wraith said:

Relevant:

Reveal hidden contents

Comic from this link: tatter-demallion on tumblr.

tumblr_ndmtodaxcN1s11lfko1_500.pngtumblr_ndmtodaxcN1s11lfko2_500.pngtumblr_ndmtodaxcN1s11lfko3_500.pngtumblr_ndmtodaxcN1s11lfko4_500.png

The shattered plains had to come from somewhere... :ph34r:

(probably not, but it would be funny)

While it's not a...small...problem, I dont think physical size would not be your true problem with planet-busting.  Shardblades cannot cut overly Invested objects, and there really isnt much that can rival a whole PLANET in terms of blanket Investiture (if the topography of Shadesmare is any indication).  Get your giant blade somehow and you might be able to slice an uninhabited world, but I dont see it being able to so fundamentally alter/wound the cognitive aspect/region of an entire Inhabited world, let alone an actual Shardworld with one or more Hexadieties Invested in the planet. 

On 8/7/2018 at 10:06 AM, Quantus said:

While it's not a...small...problem, I dont think physical size would not be your true problem with planet-busting.  Shardblades cannot cut overly Invested objects, and there really isnt much that can rival a whole PLANET in terms of blanket Investiture (if the topography of Shadesmare is any indication).  Get your giant blade somehow and you might be able to slice an uninhabited world, but I dont see it being able to so fundamentally alter/wound the cognitive aspect/region of an entire Inhabited world, let alone an actual Shardworld with one or more Hexadieties Invested in the planet. 

I think it's the Investiture density that matters for resistance.  Besides, we've seen Shardblades cut through earth/rock before.  

21 hours ago, Scion of the Mists said:

I think it's the Investiture density that matters for resistance.  Besides, we've seen Shardblades cut through earth/rock before.  

Good point, and in most instances I agree with you.  But I think in this case a planet is going to be a lot more than the sum of its parts.  Shardblades work as they do because they arent (pure) attacking the physical.  And so consider: if you cut the planet in half you are destroying not just the physical stone ball, you are also entirely destroying the stormlight ecosystem, the entirety of Roshar's Shadesmar region (which includes a thriving and invested population all it's own), the Identity of an entirely planet, and the invested home of multiple Shards.   At there very least that would result in those residents being displaced elsewhere, along with the resident Shards and Perpendicularities.  I just think that is waaay too much widespread, interconnected fallout to still say the planet isnt Invested.

• Chaos locked this topic