• 3 months later...

Hello everyone! 

As you may have noticed, the mod team is having a hard time keeping up with the character submissions, and as such we are instituting a few changes to help streamline the workload and make things a bit easier. 

The first change is that we are introducing a limit of 5 PC's (Player characters) per player for the main alleyverse RP. What that means is that the first 5 characters you make and play with will be considered PC's. They will abide by the normal rules and restrictions, such as no godmodding, normal power levels, etc. Every character past the first 5 will no longer be counted as PC's, but special NPC's. They aren't allowed to be as powerful as normal characters, and they can and will be godmodded to a certain degree without your permission.

This limit won't apply to the new alleyverse settings, which will probably have their own character limit.

The second change is the addition of a new thread for characters with a slightly different purpose. This one will be for character discussion and not submission. If you want to receive feedback for a character, ask questions, or discuss a ranking with your character, do it there.

The original alleyverse character thread will solely be for the purpose of submitting bios, and getting a mods feedback. If you wan't to submit a character, you post the bio on the alleyverse characters thread, and wait for a mod to reply. No community members should be posting on that thread unless they are asking for a bio to be submitted.

If a community member wants to help out with the ranking of characters, they can quote the post and rank it in the Alleyverse character discussion thread. 

The only posts that should be on the Original Alleyverse Character thread would be people submitting bio's, and mods ranking them or saying that they are posted.

- Alleyverse Mod Team

Hello everyone!

I hope this announcement is a fair bit less controversial then the last one, but we are redoing the Guild census. Due to a rise in new (Possibly) great guilds, we just want to make sure that everything is sorted out the way it should be. 

The way it’s going to work is we will ask all guild leaders to PM an AV mod, preferably not voidus cuz he’s not going to be online for a while, with a list of all the People who are going to be counted as a member of their guild.

Guild members should contact guild leaders about which guild they want to be counted for.

If someone’s name is listed twice we will talk to that person, or ask the guild leader to talk to that person to clarify the issue.

If your name doesn’t appear at all then we won’t bother you about it.

Any guild that has 5 active* members will be designated a great guild. Any guild that does not, will be a regular guild. 

If you can produce two active members then you get a vote in the Republic. 

-Alleyverse Mod Team

*Activity will be determined on a case by case basis. Generally speaking, we will count people if we know that it is a temporary inactivity, but 

• 4 months later...

Hello everyone!

As Era 4 is rapidly approaching, the mod team has decided that we will be opening character submissions for Era 4 early, so that we can avoid a big backlog once the Era starts!

Please post any submissions you have in the alleyverse characters thread.

Also, if you want to have your Era 3 character transferred into Era 4, please make a post in the alleyverse characters thread letting us know which characters need to be transferred and if anything needs to be changed on them. 

- Alleyverse Mod Team. 

Time to quadruple post!

Hello everyone!

As you may have noticed, the mod team has been somewhat lacking in activity lately, with several of its members having completely left the Alleyverse.

As such, the Mod team has been working for a couple of weeks to try and select new mods and get them mod powers. 

We haven't  been able to get them mod powers yet, but we have replaced Mraize and kidpen with Sorana and I think I am here. 

Thank you for your patience us as we have been short handed, we hope to be able to be better mods going into Era 4!

- Alleyverse Mod Team 

Hello again folks! 

The Mod team decided that we are going to set the official start date for Era 4 to Monday.

People have until then to wrap up any posts in All Lights Quenched, polish up plans for Era 4, and write development scenes for their character about the gap in between eras.

-AV Mod Team.

EDIT:

The exact time for starting the next era is 12am UTC, or 21 and a half hours from now.

EDIT2:

Here is a timer: https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20190916T00&p0=2328&font=cursive&csz=1 

Edited by MacThorstenson

Hello everybody,

as you might have noticed there have been some changes to the pinned topics. We now have a new guide. It is based on our two previous ones, but it combines their information in one place and I added information based on the questions our new players asked frequently. If you would like to add information to the guide please pm me.

Secondly, I really liked the idea of having a place for announcements on our part (like the start of a new Era). As Mac already started to use one of the old guides for that purpose, I decided to rename the topic and put it solely to that purpose, as I am pretty sure that most didn't even know there were some announcements.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to reach out to me and ask them!

Sorana

Hello!

I am glad to be able to announce the start of ERA 5!

As of now, Era 4 is officially finished. That means:

• All location threads move to E5. Please feel free to continue to use them, but should you be the first one to post there, add a quote stating that this thread moved to E5 at the beginning of your post.
  • If you haven't done so, please finish all E4 plots as soon as possible. We try to avoid having two eras going at the same time.
  • Please use only characters that were approved for E5! You can always submit more sheets, if you want to move other characters over to this era (up to our official limit of 5 characters per person active at the same time).
  • Please keep the changes to our canon in mind! I copied them into a spoiler tag below for quick and easy reference.
Spoiler

E1: Guild War did happen, massive destruction of the city (also because of the demons of the Chaos Space Marines), Alleycity wasn't nuked

E2: happened as it did, minus the Phoenix attack on Oasis City

E3: happened as it did, minus the Phoenix attack on Alleycity; the combined forces of the guilds were able to defeat Plasma Core

E4: the exploration happened as it did, the atium was distributed evenly between the participating guilds

============

As the guilds will be less powerful, several smaller groups exist to fill the vacuum left behind. They don't need to be named, but in general more guilds exist, and the ones with PCs are simply a part of them all.

============

The slum is located in the north of Alleycity, a part that was heavily destroyed during E1 and E3. People there don't have a 24/7 access to electricity and running water, and they live in the ruins of the houses that used to be there. (So far it used to be in the krater left by the nuking of Alleycity in E1)

And most importantly:

Have fun in the new Era!

Sorana

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everybody!

There are a few changes regarding the index and character creation that I would like to let you know of.

1. There is an updated version of the index live. It's hopefully a lot easier to navigate and better balanced. It would be awesome if you could take a look and if you have some feedback regarding its usability let us know!
  2. When creating a character you have 120 points you can spend on any talent you like and there are 30 points that are to be spend on additional skills that aren't combat or Investiture focused (like Handiwork, Scholarship or Intelligence). We hope to balance the additional skills better with this ruling. Should we note that it doesn't work at all, we'll of course reconsider and change it.

Please note that all approved characters will remain approved! These changes will only apply for new character submissions.

Thank you!

Sorana

• 1 month later...

Hello everybody,

based on a discord discussion about a week ago we'd like to adress the whole topic character advancement. As you might have noticed that part is completely missing in the index so far, which is mostly because we as a community haven't come up with a fair way that doesn't lead to hours of more work for the mods so far.

Still we'd like to explain how our current system works. Let's say you play a Knight Radiant and want to speak your next oath. In that case you contact a mod, tell them what you plan to do and we'll approve it (or not). Basically what we're looking for is character development, that happened over some time, so please don't expect to speak an oath every single month.

Our current idea is, that at the end of each Era, when you resubmit your character sheet for the next list of characters, you have the possibility to add some advancement to their sheet. We don't want to grant everybody a fixed number of points, as we would prefer to see characters grow and evolve based on what they did in rp. We can only ask you to keep it logical, and if neccessary will decline an advancement that feels out of place. We will try this out with the transition from Era 5 to Era 6 (whenever that happens) and see if the amount of work it creates is manageable for us or not.

This also leads to something else: due to advancement your character will at one point end up over the cap limit. It's possible, but in that case we'd like to ask you to write your character accordingly. In the end, should it come to a confrontation make sure you give the other player a fair chance to win, or don't solve a plot single handedly.

Another possibility to write a 'stronger than usual' character is by using the OP character sheet. As there haven't been any submissions in a while, maybe here a short explanation. When you fill out that sheet you'll notice, that there are additional fields, like what your character can add to the story. Again, please keep in mind, that we'd like for everybody to be able to contribute to a plot or a fight, so keep that in mind while creating an OP character. Once you are done with that sheet, you submit it in the character thread. This time, we mods won't decide wether you can play the character or not, but the community will. We'll create a vote and allow some time for people to vote or ask questions in the character discussion thread. If they approve, then you can start with your character, just as you would with every other one.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask them! In general we would like to hear some feedback and your thoughts on the topic, which is why I'll put that post into the Chat Thread as well.

Voidus and Sorana

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone! 

With FB unable to be super active right now, we needed a new plan for what to do plotwise. The mods discussed it and threw some ideas around, which are: 

1. That we attempt to follow FB's plan as much as we know it, led by Voidus, Zinc, and Kenod's characters; 
  2. That we expand the guilds fighting each other/Anarchist taking guilds down into the main plot and get more people on board there, culminating in that and the deterioration of the timeline; 
  3. That we simply continue RPing as we have been with smaller interactions and let anything that may happen arise naturally (note that we don't know when the Era would end with this plan, and it might not be for a while, meaning we'd have to push off the alternate reality stuff a little and anyone who wanted to reverse a change quickly would need to decide how they wanted that to happen) 

I've put a poll in the Chat Thread. Please vote there and feel free to discuss the options below. Thank you and have a nice day! 

• 3 months later...

Hey Homeless, this is our spoiler policy for RoW. 

Rhythm of War spoilers are now allowed in this subforum without tags. 

I'm happy to answer any questions in the Chat Thread. Have fun! 

Edited by AonEne
spoiler period is over

• 1 year later...

Hey y'all, its me again. Mac. I'm back. Thats me.

The mod team has been working hard behind the scenes to come up with some ideas to improve the RP, and so we have a lot of announcements to make today, so I'm probably gonna keep about one announcement per post so that it will be easier to reference each individual announcement. 

The first and most important is that @ZincAboutIt is now a subforum mod. It's taken me longer to draft this announcement then it has any of the others, because Zinc is so fricking awesome and I'm trying to portray that in some capacity without being snarky. Genuinely she's one of the best writers I know, she's been a longstanding member of the community and has honestly carried things during this last bout of inactivity. Seriously happy to be working with her.

Edited by MacThorstenson

The second announcement is that we are trying to overhaul character creation to make it emphasize roleplaying and roleplaying in groups.

To this end we have a new character sheet:

Name:
Appearance:
Guild (or intended guild):
Personality:
Concept:
Motivation (Short & long term goal):
Merits:
Flaws:
NPCs (Eg. Family and Friends):
Home Planet:
Current Residence:
Backstory:
Loose ends (What is unfinished in their life?):
Links (Eg. Theme song, a spotify playlist, a pinterest mood board):

Important things to note are the Concepts area, for a general vibe of your character. It should be for a one or two sentence summary so people can understand what you are going for.

Another section is motivations area, where you come up with goals and motivations, both short term and long term, for your character.

Another is loose ends, this is for any unfinished business that your character may have if they were to die today.

NPC doesn't refer to just NPC's, we have had a couple people in the past roleplay family of other PC's. This is for anyone who your character might know, who are they and potentially a short description detailing their relationship.

Finally Residence should be thought of, and how they are living there needs to be considered. This can be neglected if they are part of a guild as a guild will pay them and sometimes provide housing.

The astute among you have noticed that merits and flaws have replaced any investiture, equipment, and skills that your character may have. This is deliberate. We've done away with points, and are instead moving toward a more organic system where you get a certain number of merits and flaws. Merits are anything that might help your character (such as abilities, items, skills, or a position), flaws are anything that might hinder them.

Here is the breakdown for what might constitute a major minor and normal strength.
Minor: Some trivial assistance / time saving measure (Eg. pull a memory from a coppermind rather than grab a book)
Normal: Bread and butter usefulness. Abilities that get you through your day to day (Eg. An experienced scholar or a practiced swordsman)
Major: Exceptional ability, something that stands out from the crowd (Eg. A world-famous swordsman, an elite assassin, a Knight Radiant)

In terms of how many of each boon each character gets, as of right now we are thinking 3 minor merits, 2 normal merits and 1 major merit. This currently up for debate however and as with all of this we want feedback.

We are looking at around 2 flaws per character but again are open for community feedback.

Merits have different tiers, and flaws are all one in the same. Ideally, at least one flaw would interact with your motivations, being a reason that your character hasn't achieved what they want. This gives you a built in character arc.

The third announcement is tangential to the second: 

We've also added a system for progression, by participating in plots with 2-3 other characters you can get a minor merits every time an arc is completed. This ought to be RPed. No participating in an art contest and then becoming a swordsmen. Main plots and guild participation over the course of an era can result in normal/major merits being awarded to your character.

The fourth and final announcement is about guilds:

We are looking for a couple of brave folk to run guilds, potentially 1 or 2 more. These organizations will need to have some interest in the plot or participating in the world. We are going to move previously active guilds to the background, ie The Canton of Combat, the Ghostbloods, and the Liebrary unless someone previously active in that guild comes back and gets more people to join. What this means is that while your character could still interact with them, but they won't be involved with the plot and they won't be doing anything as guilds. This is out of respect for the things the previous members of the guild wrote, and we don't want to mess with their guild without their permission.

In order to form a guild, we are changing the requirements to encourage forming a couple active guilds as opposed to a bunch of guilds with one person in them. This means that before you can post a thread introducing your guild, you will need to fill out this application form and have a couple of members out the gate.

Here is the application form, we will later have a thread where you can post these:
Guild or Organization Name:
Members (2+ required):
Purpose/Mission Statement:
Description:
How to contact:
What do you plan to do:

The organization name is obvious I hope, if you have an acronym, please give the expanded form as well.

For members, because we are aiming to make this collaborative, you need to apply with at least two people on board. Please try to make sure that both of you are willing and ready to participate in the guild and RP. We don't want a situation where people join guilds to get the membership up, and then never do anything in it.

Purpose/Mission statement: This is a place for you to outline what your guild is and what it does.

Description: Describe your guild here, everything from vibe and aesthetic to what they are. While the DA's mission statement is to do science and baking, its description would be blood cult crossed with a business.

How to contact is to give players the chance to have their characters reach out and join.

The final section is more for your sake then ours, we want to make sure you dont get all hyped up about a really cool idea and then create it and not have anything to do. To that end, please make sure you have at least a couple things that your characters and guild want to do in the world.

• 1 year later...

Spoiler policy for Yumi and the Nightmare Painter, The Sunlit Man, and Defiant 

Feel free to include things from these books in your RP as long as you don't spoil plot points. Magic and worldbuilding things should mostly be fine, but if anything directly relates to the plot or you have any questions, ask a mod. 

Hey all! I have been, as of yesterday, become an official mod to the Alleyverse subforum! I am now a god!! (If a god means being able to pin things and such.) 

Does this change anything from what I’ve been doing here? Not really, no. It just means that I can better enforce things. But to me, this is a big deal!

I’d like to wholeheartedly thank @AonEne for putting out a good word for me, and helping to provide me with the advice and skills needed to take on such a role.

I’ll be doing the same stuff as I have been for the past month or so. Ya know, moderating. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ping me! I know a lot about the mechanics of roleplaying, and less about the worldbuilding. I’d recommend that you talk to Ene and Voidus for lore, but I can also just send your inquiry to them :D.

See you out there!