Church of the Stick

http://brandonsanderson.com/words-of-radiance-deleted-interlude-stick/

Rejoice fellow stickbinders! We have more words from the mouth of the Stick. 

Y'know, this may be the best short piece Brandon has every written.  This masterful composition dispels all doubts about the world, establishing within it the kind of serenity only possible to one who truly knows himself.  While it admits to the possibility of doubt as a prerequisite for this inner peace, such troubles are quickly swept up in the true Stickness of the protagonist, avoiding the dreaded flames with a certainty that we can only admire and seek to emulate.  Indeed, it i truly a parable for all of us, for in our stickne...

Err, Agh.

Oh, sorry.  Got my tongue stuck in my cheek somehow.  Where were we?

I am a stick, and I'm here to ask you a question: Is a stick not entitled to worship in the Church however he chooses?

"No!" says the Highprince. "It must worship by fighting and combat."

"No," says the Vorin man, "it must worship the Almighty."

"No," says the Flamebringer, "for a stick should become fire!"

I rejected those answers. Instead, I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... THE CHURCH OF THE STICK. A religion where the branches would not fear the flame. Where the tree would not be bound by the will of the Flamebringers. Where the great sticks would not be constrained by the will of the the smaller sticks. 

And with your worship, the Church of the Stick can become your form of worship as well.

-- The Stick, Lord and Ruler over our Holy Church

re my appalling ketek above, I feel I must try and excuse myself and explain:

hoid is the lone wanderer.

The holey-stick is the flute.

Wanderstick is the name the boat should have had, who gives credit to the sail and neglects the 50 tons of wood it is attached to!?

Kaladin was the holy wanderer alone.

http://brandonsanderson.com/words-of-radiance-deleted-interlude-stick/

Rejoice fellow stickbinders! We have more words from the mouth of the Stick. 

I've spent the last few days studying these new revelations, for they contain a point of concern, in the fifth paragraph: I am a stick?

Those four words have caused me to question the basic tenants of the doctrine of the stick. I'm having a crisis of faith! Someone enlighten me!

Fear not, Lady Radagu.  It is impossible to have strong convictions if they have never been questioned.  It is by asking questions such as "Do I exist?" that we learn about the meaning of existence.  So, too, by asking "I am a stick?" do we learn what it is to be a stick.  I found the entire sixth paragraph to be particularly enlightening regarding this subject, and so shall quote it below:

"I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick."

Fear not, Lady Radagu.  It is impossible to have strong convictions if they have never been questioned.  It is by asking questions such as "Do I exist?" that we learn about the meaning of existence.  So, too, by asking "I am a stick?" do we learn what it is to be a stick.  I found the entire sixth paragraph to be particularly enlightening regarding this subject, and so shall quote it below:

"I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick."[/size]

But what about the second paragraph?

I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick.

The second paragraph unarguably contains great insights, particularly "I am a stick" found in the second line. However, it is mostly forming the foundation of the question, rather than the answer and confirmation of what follows.

I'm just waiting for some crazy Stone Shaman from Shinovar to come and start the Church of the Stone, whose motto will be:  "In the Church of the Stick, you get stuck, but in the Church of the Stone, you get Stoned".  I'm guessing they'll probably have a Weedspren as their symbol.

Sacrilege! There is only - I am a Stick. I am a Stick.I am a Stick.I am a Stick.I am a Stick.I am a Stick.I am a Stick.I am a Stick.I am a Stick.I am a Stick.I am a Stick.I am a Stick.I am a Stick.I am a Stick.I am a Stick.I am a Stick.I am a Stick.I am a Stick.I am a Stick.I am a Stick.I am a Stick.I am a Stick.I am a Stick.I am a Stick.I am a Stick.I am a Stick.I am a Stick.I am a Stick.I am a Stick.I am a Stick.I am a Stick.I am a Stick.I am a Stick.I am a Stick.I am a Stick.I am a Stick.I am a Stick.I am a Stick.I am a Stick.I am a Stick.- Wait, What was I saying?

We need a "Stick" reputation level.

If we add a "Stick" reputation level, then we'll also have to have a "Firebringer" reputation level.

I've spent the last few days studying these new revelations, for they contain a point of concern, in the fifth paragraph: I am a stick?

Those four words have caused me to question the basic tenants of the doctrine of the stick. I'm having a crisis of faith! Someone enlighten me!

He is a Stick.  I am a Stick.  You are a Stick.

Oh fear not, young one.  For to one secure in their stickness, it tells us that questioning is a not a sin of itself, but that it is possible to remain pure even after such thoughts from the Firebringers.

Edited by happyman