Siri has Breath

Matias

Okey so i havent seen people talking about this and i dont know if this is because is very obvius or im wrong, but, siri have breath right? She don't use them in the book (i think) , but it's pretty clear to me that she has, so, comments?

Just like Vivenna, she has the Royal locks. It's the fragment of a divine breath that they have a descendents of a Returned. 

Beyond that breath that she was born with though, no she does not have any breath that would be useful for Awakening. 

Okay, im confused, lets put it this way    

There are 3 clues that make me think Siri has alot of breath or like a super breath (i havent read this book in a while, i dont have it and maybe the spanish traduction is not perfect so be patient)

1- when she goes to susebron palace, one of the people that was dressing her or somerhing said that she has alot of breath, like, literally

2- when lightsong was trap in the dungeon, he saw like a pattern in the skin of the priest guys and he deduced that they were actually from phan kal, he explains that he could determinated that only because he have alot of breath, and literally the next page Siri determinate the same thing!

3- this would also explain why she liked colors so much from the beggining

@Matias Siri does no have any additional breath beyond what she was born with. But she is not a normal Nalthian.

This piece is talking about Vivenna from the Warbreaker annotations, but it would apply to Siri as well. 

Brandon Sanderson

Vasher Explains Some Things, but Leaves Some Things Hidden

I'm worried about leaving Vivenna's two questions unanswered. One is pretty obvious—how Vasher can hide how he looks—but the other is unintuitive. I wish I could explain better in the book, as I said above, but I decided in the end to just leave it hanging. It's a bit of a violation of Sanderson's First Law, but not a big one. The reason I feel I can get away with it is because Vasher didn't use his nature as a Returned to solve any problems. It is more a flavoring for his character than it is important to him getting out of danger or fixing things. He could have done everything he needed to in this book without being Returned. So I feel it's okay not to explain why he can be Returned and not die when he gives away his Breaths.

Can Vivenna change her appearance more? She can indeed. She could actually stoke that fragment of a divine Breath inside of her and start glowing like a Returned. She can't change her physical features to look like someone else, but she can change her age, her height (within reason), and her body shape (to an extent). It takes practice.

And yes, the scraggly miscreant is how Vasher sees himself. Not noble and Returned, which is part of how he suppresses his divine Breath.

Events in the second book may change that.

source

The royal locks are a fragment of the Divine Breath in a returned. They can change their appearance and have a breath aura like a Returned, and like them it is not usable for Awakening. 

It is lesser in magnitude. They won't be unaging without more breath, but they are more invested than a normal Nalthian is from birth. 

1 hour ago, Matias said:

1- when she goes to susebron palace, one of the people that was dressing her or somerhing said that she has alot of breath, like, literally

Actually, what's said is that she has a very strong Breath, singular. There's a difference in 'vibrancy' between the Breaths of the young and the old, which is why the Returned generally get their weekly Breath from children. It's also why the numbers of Breaths needed to reach a given Heightening are all approximations. All the line is saying is that Siri's single Breath is a particularly healthy example.

2- when lightsong was trap in the dungeon, he saw like a pattern in the skin of the priest guys and he deduced that they were actually from phan kal, he explains that he could determinated that only because he have alot of breath, and literally the next page Siri determinate the same thing!

At that point, Siri already knows that the Pahn Kahl are the perpetrators and it's not just skin color but height that she uses to confirm it. Lightsong had to figure the whole thing out on his own.

Siri 'likes colors' because she's as rebellious as her position in Idrian society allowed her to be, while Vivenna was brought up to be a good follower of Austre and so she has the prejudices against things that are 'colorful' stemming from that. Neither Siri nor Vivenna are Returned but they're descended from Returned and so they have a tiny fragment of the Divine Breath (not a whole one) which makes the Royal Locks work and could do other things if they knew about it and had the opportunity to practice.

PS, I find your current title hilariously appropriate, considering the topic we're discussing. xD

48 minutes ago, Matias said:

So, is Siri a returned? Or, she's royal breath is as strong as a returned breath?And why didn't Vivenna appreciate colors like Siri?

Siri is not Returned, but she is descended from one (or some). So she has a fragment of a Divine Breath from that heritage, that gives her the Royal Locks, among other things.

The color appreciation is just a difference in personalities. Suri is rebellious and likes colors. Vivenna is a good follower of Austre and shuns colors.

• Chaos locked this topic