When were downvotes no longer a thing?

BitBitio

I say good riddance to downvotes. The 17th shard, while usually a friendly happy bunch, has enough drama, anger, and tears without adding that molotov cocktail to the mix. I think it became a happier place without that particular feature.

I think it was a useful feature that a minority of people abused but it became a touchy subject for a lot of people and there was a lot of negative sentiment towards it as well. I think our community has always been a supportive one, even when we had downvotes it was a vast minority of people who ever dipped into negative reputation.

I don't think the site is necessarily better for not having downvotes. Now people get very touchy in contentious topics, like, "oh wow this got THIS many upvotes? This site sucks I can't believe so many would like such an opinion." 

Still, there was a lot of contention around downvotes too, so the site is probably a bit better, but there are tradeoffs in any system.