Sugarhouse signing- Saturday, Mar. 29th

Herowannabe

Q: Can you Compound to the point where you become a Savant?

A: No, being a Savant is when you burn so much it alters your spirit, Compounding is similar but different.

(He might have heard the question wrong here, I don't know. I should have asked it differently. But, there goes my theory  :P)

Your theory is fine, I think. The same mechanism responsible for Allomancy is used in Compounding. I see no reason this couldn't cause one to become a savant. Brandon's answer doesn't make much sense, so I think he misheard you.

Although its possible he meant just what he said. If you think about it, when you're doing allomancy you are temporarily adding an effect or ability to your spirit that it isn't normally capable of doing. When performing Feruchemy (and by extension, Compounding), you are tapping into your own stored up attributes. You're not doing anything new, you're just affecting when you use your innate abilities and the extent to which you use them.

So I could see how performing a lot of allomancy- something that you're not normally capable of doing- would warp your spirit, while feruchemy and compounding- which allow you to tap into abilities that you ARE already capable of doing, just to varying extents- wouldn't warp your spirit.

Oh are we not supposed to be talking about him and/or White Sands? Because I'm only repeating what Brandon said at a public event, fully aware of the audio-recorder sitting next to him.

Anyway, I've gone through and transcribed the parts of the signing that I was directly involved in (the beginning and the end). I left out all the general gushing and picture-taking and Brandon giving instructions to the staff and etc. Any time I left out something more than 'um's or 'uh's I put "..." to show that I edited unimportant stuff out.

Oh, also, whenever I was aware of a 17thsharder talking (such as myself) I put their username in.

Putting it in spoilers, just in case. It does contain spoilers for Words of Radiance, as well as several other books.

Q: How does a world that is wracked by storms supply food for an entire population?

Brandon: Well the thing to keep in mind is that it is not a barren planet. There are lots of plants on this planet. It’s no more barren than a corral reef that deals with a tide rushing in and rushing out. Now, the life has to adapt to it, but it’s a really lush planet. If you go and look at the shattered plains there is grass everywhere and plants growing all over the place. Right before a storm it becomes barren, then it becomes lush again.

One of the things I kinda have to overcome with this book is that though it is very rocky and stony, it is very lush, and it’s hard sometimes for people to imagine that. But even if it is a little bit barren, Utah is barren and it has supported people.

Q: How did Shallan rescue Kaladin when they fell in the chasm?

Brandon: She did not, it was actually Syl. But he was in the process of breaking the bond, and so she was able to get some stormlight to him, but that is what really- Like you can imagine, this bond was really a strain for her to use at that point, so it was her, but doing what she did just about destroyed her, which is why you don’t hear from her after that.

Q: Is healing a universal stormlight power then?

Brandon: Yes, within reason. Some are better at it, but it is a universal power.

Q: With Dalinar, as a bondsmith, what does that mean his power-?

Brandon: That is a good question! That is going to be an [RAFO card].

Q: Why does the shardbearer- when they’re dueling with Adolin and Renarin- Why does the shardbearer freak out when Kaladin grabs the sword- like, he screams, and shouts “I didn’t kill you!” and ran away?

Brandon: Yes.

Q: Why does he do that?

Brandon: Because when Kaladin was there and they were touching it, they actually heard the spren that was inside of it.

Q: So it wasn’t Syl that he heard, it was-

Brandon: It was the sword’s spren. That Kaladin was touching it- When a Knight Radiant touches it- You’ll see when other Knights Radiant pick up sword, they can hear the screaming.

Q: Do we ever get to see a good banter between Wit and Shallan?

Brandon: She is not quite ready yet to be on his level. And if you watch through the series, her use of humor will mature. And in fact you should be able to notice a difference between these two even [Way of Kings and Words of Radiance]. By later books she will be able to stand a little bit better. Right now he would rip her to shreds.

Herowannabe: When Sazed- …

Brandon: You do know that I’ve got a character in one of the books named “Bowen?” [Clarification: My name is Bowen. He said this while personalizing our books]

Herowannabe: Really?

Brandon: Yes. He’s actually been in the books so far, but not by name. He’s one of the Worldhoppers. If you go look and talk to them they may have identified him, some people who have read.

Herowannabe: Thank you for naming a character after me!

Brandon: Yes. I did it. He’s from White Sands. I wrote the book in ’98. … Yeah, he’s one of the Purelake guys.

Herowannabe: Is he Blunt?

Brandon: Yeah, yeah.

Herowannabe: Anyway, my question. When Sazed is fighting Marsh, he hears a voice telling him about his rings- Whose voice is that?

Brandon: [impish grin]

Herowannabe: Can I make some guesses?

Brandon: Sure.

Herowannabe: Is it Kelsier?

Brandon: [impish grin]

Q: What does that mean?

Brandon: That means I’m not going to answer that. So yeah, Bowen, you’ll have to see because when I redid the linguistics for the world, his name I think got changed. I think it’s now Baon (spelling?). But in the very first draft of the very first book I ever wrote his name was Bowen. And the reason I think I changed it… is because he’s a bowman. And I’m like I can’t name the bowman- the archer- Bowen. That’s kinda dumb. But in my head he’s still Bowen.

(Stopped transcribing at the 0:12:20 mark, in case someone else wants to pick up the transcription there)

(Started transcribing again at the 2:34:55 mark)

Herowannabe: The Lord Ruler, he had his Lerasium beads, did he use them for Feruchemy?

Brandon: [impish grin] Ah ha ha ha. The Lord Ruler, heh heh heh, That is an excellent question.

Herowannabe: Not going to answer?

Brandon: Not going to answer that one.

Herowannabe: Would you answer if Hoid used it for Feruchemy?

Brandon: His bead? Hoid’s bead was- He originally got it because he wanted to be an Allomancer. [Note that he doesn’t actually answer the question.]

Herowannabe: Okay, a couple questions about Kandra. So when Kandra digest bones, obviously they need that Physically, but is there a Cognitive or a Spiritual purpose to the bones, too?

Brandon: No, the bones are just there for the muscles to pull against.

Herowannabe: Okay, so they don’t need it for some Spiritual link through the bones to mimic someone?

Brandon: No. Good question.

Herowannabe: Also, what would happen to a Kandra if you bisected it down the middle with half of its blessing ending up in either half?

Brandon: That would be- like ripping off any other piece of it- that would be very disturbing for the Kandra. But they could reabsorb and come back together. They would not be able to function half and half, that would eventually kill them basically. They can’t like send pieces of themselves off and do things. They can be ripped apart and heal, but if you ripped them in half, that would be killing them.

… [some more general gushing, talking about a Mistborn Adventure Campaign we ran over at steelministry.com trying to kill the Lord Ruler. If any of my players, or anyone else, wants to go listen to it, it’s at the 2:36:50 mark. If anyone else is interested in reading the narration of that game, it can be found here. One note of interest: Brandon did say that Kadrok’s idea of trying to spike the Lord Ruler to the point that Ruin could take him over was a clever idea.] ...

Herowannabe: I’m curious, I’ve got a list of various cosmere bits of metal, and I wonder if you would rank them from like 1 to 10 or easy to difficult on how hard it would be to steelpush on them?

Brandon: Okay.

Herowannabe: … So, like metal inside a person’s body?

Brandon: It depends on how strong the investiture in them is.

Herowannabe: Is that going to be the answer for all of these?

Brandon: Probably. :)

Herowannabe: How about a spike charged with Hemalurgy? Not in a person.

Brandon: Not in a person? It depends on how strong- yeah. A spike is moderately- in the realm of these sorts of things- moderately easy to push on, because a spike does not rip off very much investiture. Only enough to short circuit the soul, and it loses that over time. So I would put that at the bottom- with the top being very hard- to be one of the easier things.

Herowannabe: How about a metalmind? A feruchemy metalmind that is “full.”

Brandon: That is going to be middle of the realm. Generally easier than, for instance, a shardblade, which is going to be very hard.

Aaradel: But a shardblade isn’t actual metal. Ish?

Brandon: Ish. Is Lerasium a metal? Yeah.

Herowannabe: So would that be the same for Shardplate, too?

Brandon: Shardplate and blade are very hard. Blade is probably going to be harder.

Herowannabe: Halfshard? Like a halfshard shield?

Brandon: Halfshard shield is going to be in moderate.

Herowannabe: Nightblood? I imagine is going to be very difficult.

Brandon: Very hard. Of all the things you’ve listed, he’s the hardest. Far beyond even a shardblade.

Herowannabe: Far beyond metal inside a person?

Brandon: Yes, depending on how invested the person is.

Aaradel: If someone was invested as much as Nightblood I’m pretty sure it’s going to be very difficult.

Brandon: Yes, for instance, the Godking, at the end, with all of those Breaths. Pushing on something inside of him? Getting through all that? Gonna be REAL hard. Average person on Scadrial? You’ve seen how hard that is. A drab? Much easier.

Herowannabe: That was actually going to be my next one- No, sorry, not a drab, a Lifeless.

Brandon: A Lifeless. Lifeless are kinda weird, because they’ve had their soul leave, but then they’ve had a replacement stuck in, in the form of Breath, which puts them in a really weird position compared to a Drab, which has had part of their investiture ripped away, but the majority of it remains. So anyway, I’m going to give you one more. Pick your favorite.

Herowannabe: Okay, a soul-stamped piece of metal

Brandon: A soul-stamped piece of metal is going to be on the lower, easier side. Not a lot of investiture going on in a soulstamp. … Anyone else have questions or books that they need signed?

Q: I have a question. You gave me one of these little Szeth cards. I noticed on the back it looks like a game.

Brandon: Yeah, yeah it does, doesn’t it?

Q: What’s the story with that?

Brandon: Those- that was just like randomly printed there.

Herowannabe: [in a stage whisper] I don’t think he’s telling the truth.

Brandon: We just got them back and we were like, “Wow, those random collection of letters look surprisingly like words from my books. How did that happen?”

Q: [inaudible ]… look forward to that?

Aradel: He’s not allowed to say.

Brandon: It’s not a “Not allowed to say,” it’s that this is a fun little thing that may become something in the distant future.

Edited by Herowannabe

Oh, I'm mostly moderating myself, because I'd love to talk about White Sands, but I also need to keep it under wraps, so even going so far as to confirm the spelling for Baon feels a little like pushing it for me. You're absolutely fine. If he tells you something without asking about it, then you're cool.

Are you sure he said that Baon was a bowman, though? Or maybe that's changed since the first draft, which I have not read.

Edited by bartbug

Honestly, I am most amazed by how well he ranks the different entities in the cosmere in terms of their Investiture. Shardblade & Plate, he's probably had to confirmed that they are pretty Invested, and the God King is also pretty full, but a soulstamp? A spike? A drab and a lifeless? Every so often I decide that I've reached my upper limit of amazement, and then Brandon just completely shatters it with something like this.

Yeah I was surprised he answered those as well as he did too. Honestly I fully expected him to RAFO several if not all of those.

@Swimmingly: I think it's the second thing you said, that the spike would just steal the link to the blade, not the blade itself.

plus we learn from words of radiance that all it takes is one infused gemstone to forge a new bond with someone else's blade. So that link is only 1 gemstone's worth of investiture, at most.

Just a side note. I live in Atlanta, GA, but for some reason I dreamed last night that I'd gone to this signing. And at that signing Brandon answered all sorts of questions about Hoid; but more than that, Brandon wowed us all by revealing his pre-writing career as an Olympic javelin-throw coach. I notice that part isn't in your recording, so I'm guessing my dream may have strayed from reality a bit.

BTW, the two biggest things I learned from this signing, while we wait for me to post the file and somebody to transcribe it:

Someone asked about what it means to be Koloss-blooded. Pretty interesting stuff. When Koloss mate their offspring is "Koloss blooded." When the child comes of age they can choose to accept the spikes and become a full Koloss, or to leave the tribe and make their own way. Also, regular humans can, if they wish, go to a tribe and prove themselves and earn their spikes, becoming a Koloss.

Second, when he was signing my books he noticed my name, which is Bowen, and said something along the lines of "You know, I had a character from one of my earlier unpublished books (White Sands) named 'Bowen.'" He went on to talk about the character a little, who was an archer. And he said that he really shouldn't have a character who was a bowman named Bowen, so when he went back through the book to alter the linguisitcs of the world, he changed the name to Baon (don't know if I'm spelling that right). Then, and this is the big part, he confirmed that this character was in fact "Blunt" in the Way of Kings purelake interlude!!!

AWESOME FIND

How do koloss mate?  I mean, they're sorta zombies, right?

Edit:  Oh and here's my transcription of Sugarhouse.  I only did the questions related to the Cosmere and Stormlight Archive, so the Mistborn, etc, stuff is missing.

Sugarhouse

http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/7234-sugarhouse-signing-saturday-mar-29th/

Q:  How does a world that is racked by storms supply food for(can't make this out).
A:  The thing to keep in mind is, it's not a barren planet.  There are lots of plants on this planet.  It's no more barren than a coral reef that deals with the tide rushing in and rushing out.  Now, life has to adapt to it but this is a really lush planet.  Just look at the Shattered Plains, there's grass everywhere and plants going all over the place.  It's just before a storm it becomes barren and then it becomes lush again.

Q:  How did Shallan rescue Kaladin when they fell in the chasm.
A:  She did not, it was actually Syl.  But he was in the process of breaking the bond and so she was able to get some Stormlight to him but that is what set it really poorly.  This bond was really a strain for her to use at that point, so it was her, but doing what she did just about destroyed her, which is why you don't her from her after that.
Q:  Is healing a universal Stormlight power?
A:  Yes, within reason.  Some are better at it, but it is a universal power.
Q:  With Dalinar as a Bondsmith, what does that mean to his power?
A:  RAFO.
Q:  Why did the Shard-bearer when they were dueling with Adolin and Renarin, why does the Shard-bearer freak out when Kaladin grabs the sword?
A:  Because when Kaladin was there and they were touching it, they actually heard the spren that was inside of it.  It was the sword's spren that Kaladin was touching it.  When the Knight Radiant touches it, you can see when other Knight Radiant pick up the swords, they can hear the screaming.
Q:  Do we get to see any good banter between Wit and Shallan?
A:  She is not quite ready yet to be on his level.  And if you watch in the series, her use of humor will mature.  In fact you should be able to notice the difference between these two [books] even.  By later books, she will be able to stand a little bit better.  Right now, he would rip her to shreds.

[bowen/Baon is "Blunt" at the Purelake in WoK, and he's from White Sands.]

Q:  Is Wit/Hoid an Allomancer?
A:  He did steal a bead of Lerasium off of Scadrial.  If he were to make use of that bead, certain powers would have been gained.

Q:  I was just curious about Shardplate.  In one of the books you said it was seamless like there weren't any chinks in it anywhere.
A:  There are chinks but there is no direct line to the skin.  So like if you see a slit, there's another little plate behind it.
Q:  Shardplate thus far has been powered by Stormlight and the spheres, but now that we've got Radiants is it powered by themselves?
A:  Well so far we have not had a Radiant wearing Shardplate.

Q:  Is that theory correct where the Heralds are kind of reversed now, where they're going against their [attributes].

Q:  Is the second half of the series based off of some of these interlude characters?
A:  Some of the interlude characters, yes.  And some that aren't interlude characters.  For example, Renarin is going to be one of the back five.

Q:  In the Stormlight Archive, there are a lot of Knight Radiant classes that are set at the end.  Could you provide what abillities they have?  Like Bondsmith?
A:  Bondsmith I haven't really gotten into yet, though Bondsmith is next to Windrunners which means they will share one ability with Windrunners.
Q:  What are Lift's abilities called?
A:  Lift is Abrasion and Progression.
Q:  Do you have a name of that type of Knight?
A:  She's an Edgedancer.
Q:  Is she going to have more of a story later on?
A:  Yes, Lift is one of the characters who was originally planned for the back five.

Q:  Are the rest of the books in the Stormlight Archive going to be different colors?
A:  They are, and you can actually match the color to the order of the Knights Radiant.  That's the Windrunners[WoK], that's the symbol of the Windrunners, that's the color. That's the Lightweavers[WoR], and that's the symbol of the Lightweavers, which is the same, and the color.

Q:  It seems like you have a Warbreaker thing at the end is that actually...?
A:  Yes, it is.

Q:  What are Oldbloods?
A:  Oldbloods are the...years ago Alethkar was ruled by a different group of people.  A different, like, dynasty.  It's been overturned and it's been a long enough time that they're not really a threat.  But to acknowledge they're an Oldblood, they wear the tatoo that means, "We used to rule this place."  And so, it's just a lineage of people in a dynasty that used to be the kings of Alethkar.

Q:  How do Alethi get married?
A:  I will show you a wedding ceremony eventually.

Q:  Who or what is Hoid/Wit?
A:  He is a person that has shown up in all of my epic fantasy books.
Q:  How does he have so much information about what's going on and how is he always in the right place at the right time?
A:  Those are very excellent questions.  RAFO, but he has a surprising ability to be in the right place at the right time in the Cosmere.

Q:  Have we seen another Lightweaver as of WoR?
A:  Yes, depending on your definition.  You could make the argument, the Order of Knight Radiant, no.  But you have seen people lightweaving, the skill, yes.

Q:  Would any of the orders be okay with someone being an assassin.
A:  Yes.
Q:  Is Lyss a surgebinder then?
Q:  Can you compound metalminds to the point you beome like a savant?
A:  A savant happens because persistent use of the power has an affect on your soul, warping it.  Compounding is a very different thing.  So while you could draw some very powerful effects, I would not call them the same thing even if they are imitating each other at certain points.

Q:  Will we be seeing any more of Stick?
A:  Everybody loves Stick.  Everybody is very fond of Stick.  I have no current plans for Stick.

Q:  The bindings-Strong/weak axial, what exactly are those, what can they do?
A:  RAFO, but you will see it happening.  But remember that the original inspiration for the magics in the Stormight Archive were the fundamental forces as listed in physics.
[discussion on what characters have which surges]

Q:  Truthless are pretty rare in Shin society?
A:  Yes.
Q:  How did they come by the Dawnshard that Szeth got?
A:  They historically kept all of them.
Q:  Does that have anything to do why they think stone is sacred?
A:  You will find out more about that as time progresses

Q:  Can you give me a hint in the easter egg in the map of Roshar? What particular skill do you need for it?  Is it a different language or math related?
A:  It's not linguistics.  It is math related.  Let me remind you this is not going to be a mind blowing revelation.  It is going to be a nifty thing.  Someone actually got close at one of my signings.  They noticed something.  But it is a fun easter egg that will tell you more about the history of the world.

Q:  We have yet to see a dragon from you, I was wondering if those are coming?
A:  One of my worlds has dragons.
Q:  Is it Dragonsteel?
A:  Yes, it is.
Q:  Different surges are shared by different orders.  Do they work the same for the different orders?
A:  They work basically the same though there is some...sometimes the combination will produce some side effects that are unique, but the basic powers are the same.
Q:  Does Vasher want Nightblood back?
A:  Vasher feels responsible for Nightblood.
Q:  Is there any reason he didn't go by "Vasher"?
A:  Because in the original draft he was, and I'm like, "That's just too easy."  Plus he's kinda trying to hide.  He's not as foolhardy as a certain other character who goes willy nilly by the same aliases over and over again and doesn't care.  Picking a new alias, if you know peple will potentially be looking for you, having them not be able to ask for you by name is useful.
Q:  Are we going to see the flute again?
A:  Hoid is very disappionted by the loss of his fluee and would like to recover it.

Q:  Is Jasnah aware of the Diagram
Q:  Does Hoid have 2 Honorblades?
A:  Hoid currently has no Honorblades.

Q:  Has Hoid used his Lerasium Bead for Feruchemy?
A:  Hoid got the bead originally because he wanted to become an Allomancer.

Q:  [Paraphrased]How difficult would it be to Push on various things.
A:  [Paraphrased]It depends on the amount of Investiture in the person/object.  Nightblood would be the hardest thing to Push on, harder than Shardblades.

Edited by RShara

How do koloss mate?  I mean, they're sorta zombies, right?

Well, you see, when mommy koloss and daddy koloss love each other very much... 

But no, I don't remember them as zombies. Think deformed humans. Szeth must have changed some things around though, so that they can breed now (instead of doing a bunch of snatch 'n' spike runs).

These stuck out to me as great finds:

Q:  What are Oldbloods?

A:  Oldbloods are the...years ago Alethkar was ruled by a different group of people.  A different, like, dynasty.  It's been overturned and it's been a long enough time that they're not really a threat.  But to acknowledge they're an Oldblood, they wear the tatoo that means, "We used to rule this place."  And so, it's just a lineage of people in a dynasty that used to be the kings of Alethkar.

Q:  How do Alethi get married?
A:  I will show you a wedding ceremony eventually.

Q:  How did they come by the Dawnshard that Szeth got?
A:  They historically kept all of them.

It's nice to know that the Oldbloods are (probably) not yet another secret society. We have enough of those running around as it is. I like the historical color.

Alethi wedding coming up: cue the shipping war.

If I recall correctly, past questions of whether Dawnshards are distinct from Honorblades have been RAFO'd. Is that right, or is there WoB I missed? Would this response serve as confirmation that they are the same?

I think that both Brandon and the asker had Honorblades on the mind, and just mis-spoke/misheard.  That happens a few times at various signings.  You're thinking so far into one area you don't even realize you used the wrong word :)

I think that both Brandon and the asker had Honorblades on the mind, and just mis-spoke/misheard.  That happens a few times at various signings.  You're thinking so far into one area you don't even realize you used the wrong word :)

Aye. Chicago signing, one of the Sharders asked about clothing fabrics on Scadrial and Brandon gave her - us - his already recorded response regarding fabrics on Roshar. Good thing I was there to go all "Yo, Brandon, Imma letchu finish, but you be talkin' 'bout, Roshar, man, and she be askin' you 'bout Scadrial!" *

* I am not very good at this, don't judge me.

Edited by Argent

Well, you see, when mommy koloss and daddy koloss love each other very much... 

But no, I don't remember them as zombies. Think deformed humans. Szeth must have changed some things around though, so that they can breed now (instead of doing a bunch of snatch 'n' spike runs).

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 387973120 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 532773168 bytes) in Unknown on line 0

Szeth? You mean Sazed? ;)

Case in point lol.

IIRC, they're dead or almost dead humans that have been spiked into deformed life?  I guess if it's almost dead, then their systems could theoretically still be working.....

They don't have to be "almost dead" (and they definitely can't already be dead).  Any human can be turned into a koloss if they get the correct spikes.

Case in point lol.

IIRC, they're dead or almost dead humans that have been spiked into deformed life?  I guess if it's almost dead, then their systems could theoretically still be working.....

Originally, Koloss were normal humans given four Iron spikes, so a whole single human and bits of about four more. This caused their skin to become blue and ..expand? So they had folds of it all over. The spikes also warped their minds severely. The original Koloss then grew without stopping, until, in about 20 years, IIRC, their hearts gave out (very few Koloss ever lived to that point, I'd guess XD)

Sazed changed them somehow, probably making their minds work better and giving them ability to reproduce normally, as well as (presumably) extending their lifespan. 

The decay of the spikes is sometimes weird, I must say. Allomantic spikes not in body decay within dys to the point they just have enough power to keep a spiked person alive (very little allomancy). Vin's earring, however, was out of her body for moths at a time and still had enough potency, and TenSoon's stolen Iron spikes were in the hole in the ground for year. My theory is that the spikes that were used in the body decay slower, especially when the most recent user is still alive,  and don't decay at all in the body itself. So, reused Koloss spikes might still have quite a bit of potency, especially if they steal part of the person they were in... And/or refresh them in their enemies occasionally.