Atium

Somebody who's killing himself Hoid should already know about this ! xD

The next Mistborn book title "The Last Metal" seems like Atium fits but it also doesn't make sense since Sazed could've picked it up upon ascension as he unhindered and has both Preservation(the one who caused the Atium) and Ruin(the one needing it). And there's a WoB below about Sazed doing something about Ruin's extra power which is probably implies the missing Atium being rejoined to Harmony.

Sanderson has been purposely being vague about this but has also stated that currently(at least before The Last Metal) there are no Atium production and the last Atium are with Marsh. 

So we kinda don't know till book 4 i suppose.

Anyways here are the WoB 

Questioner

Before Preservation locked up Ruin, or whatever, or if Ruin had won. Would atium exist?

Brandon Sanderson

...There are timelines where there would be no atium.

Questioner

...So if Harmony exists, does atium exist?

Brandon Sanderson

Atium does not exist because there is no Ati. Well there is atium left over from before, but--

Questioner

So it was only part of Ati's body and not part of Harmony's body.

Brandon Sanderson

There is no atium, there is no Preservation any longer, there is no Ati.

Questioner

So does harmonium exist?

Brandon Sanderson

...There's no Leras and there's no Ati, there's no Ruin--

Questioner

Does harmonium exist then?

Brandon Sanderson

Good question.

source

PunSpren's wife

Does Harmony have Straff Venture's hidden atium?

Brandon Sanderson

Harmony has everything he needs, but that doesn't answer your question. No, Harmony does not have Straff's atium.

source

Douglas

When Kelsier destroys the Pits of Hathsin in Final Empire, it is mentioned that they'll take something like 300 years to start producing atium again. Do the Pits of Hathsin still exist in any form after Sazed reshaped the world, and is that timeline for them still valid?

Brandon Sanderson

RAFO.

source

Questioner

I'm reading into that the timing of The Alloy of Law is roughtly about when we would expect the Pits of Hathsin to start regenerating--

Brandon Sanderson

*Disingenuously* Oh imagine that...

Questioner

Okay yeah, does that mean that atium is still important, or is there a new element for Sazed that you might be able to expect.

Brandon Sanderson

RAFO.

source

Zchance

I'm surprised no one else has asked but does this new world have atium? If atium was the body of Ruin then it would seem when Sazed took up Ruin's power he would have reabsorbed all of the atium. New atium then would be bits of Sazed's new powers and weaken him with each newly formed bead. It would seem then that if atium exists it would be much rarer, and mean that Sazed would not be able to control this process.

I guess I am trying to understand why he would want to allow any atium to make its way into the hands of people or rather out of his control?

Brandon Sanderson

It's theoretically possible for atium to appear in the future, but right now Sazed has no plans to release any of it to the people. It is, effectively, now something of myth and legend.

source

ironthtin

Kel said he ended atium production for a few hundred years. Will atium reappear in Alloy & such, or did Sazed move the Pits?

Brandon Sanderson

RAFO. :)

source

Well, in SoS we saw Wax and TenSoon climb through what remains of the Pits. No hints of geode or Atium. 

While not definitive, I think that if Atium (or something similar, as without Ati there is no Atium) it will be through a different means. 

2 minutes ago, TheManKnownAsHoid said:

But Trellium already fits and was set up in the rest of Era 2 by Paalm and the Set.

Trellium isn't really lost. It also is probably The Final metal that Miles referred to.

Specifically Atium was called The Lost Metal in an exhibit in Alloy of Law.

4 minutes ago, TheManKnownAsHoid said:

True, but lerasium is also lost, and most likely mentioned in the Words of Founding. Do we know why it isnt commonly known?

I don't believe Lerasium has ever been public knowledge. I doubt it was included in the Words of Founding. Given there has been no mention of it anywhere in Era2, I think it is safe to assume Lerasium was not mentioned in the Words of Founding.

Atium was the most valuable commodity in the Final Empire, lerasium was known to Rashek and maybe a couple of his Inquisitors and nobody else until Vin found that last bead.

Brandon has said that atium and lerasium are no longer being produced now that Ati and Leras are gone. Given the mention of godmetal alloys and how we know there's at least some atium left out there, it's hard to credit the idea that we'll never see it again but we won't be seeing it produced in the same way. There's also an old Word of Peter that implies at least one more lerasium bead exists and Brandon called the thought that there were originally sixteen 'an excellent guess' which if true would give us five beads that we can't account for.

I'm thinking that the titular Lost Metal being atium is almost too obvious since we already know atium has been called that in Era 2, but aside from lerasium I also can't think of any other metal that could plausibly fit that description. Well, I guess there's malatium. We'll just have to wait and see.

We know that one of the lerasium beads is with Hoid, and he has presumably used it. Remember when Shallan first meets him and he sprinkles a strange powder in his drink? That could have been bronze, which is how he knew Shallan was a Surgebinder. I cant find any WoB on whether that was metal or not.

Edited by TheManKnownAsHoid

2 minutes ago, TheManKnownAsHoid said:

We know that one of the lerasium beads is with Hoid, and he has presumably used it. Remember when Shallan first meets him and he sprinkles a strange powder in his drink? That could have been bronze, which is how he knew Shallan was a Surgebinder.

That bead is included in what @Weltall counted.

9 for the kings Rashek originally granted Allomancy. 1 for Elend. 1 for Hoid. 

If there were 16, there's 5 more. 

11 minutes ago, TheManKnownAsHoid said:

Does it also count the one Rashek took for himself? Or did he automatically become a Mistborn from holding Preservation's power?

He didn't use a bead. He shaped himself with the well to be as strong an Allomancer is is possible to achieve. 

WoBs and WoP for future reference:

Fireborn

So there were actually eleven pieces of Larasium at the Well?  One for him, one for each of the original nine Allomancers, and the one Elend used.

Peter Ahlstrom

And at least one more.

source

SageOfTheWise

Is there a reason why Rashek left a nugget of Lerasium at the Well of Ascension?

Brandon Sanderson

He left several. It was, in his opinion, one of the best kept secrets and best protected locations in his empire.

Phantine

Were there originally 16 of them?

Brandon Sanderson

An excellent guess.

source

Chris King

Did the Lord Ruler use lerasium to gain his super Allomantic abilities or did he grant that to himself with the Well's power? If he used the bead, does he count as one of the nine original Allomancers that Sazed mentions?

Brandon Sanderson

Excellent question. He did not use the bead. He-- In all of this he granted himself basically, he rebuilt himself to be extremely powerful and he did not use one of the beads.

source

Fireborn

So there were actually eleven pieces of Larasium at the Well?  One for him, one for each of the original nine Allomancers, and the one Elend used.

Peter Ahlstrom

And at least one more.

This quote doesn't really mean that there are more Lerasium beads remaining. The "at least one more" is probably Hoid's bead.

I suspect that there are more, but it is possible that they were all used.

48 minutes ago, Fatikis said:

This quote doesn't really mean that there are more Lerasium beads remaining. The "at least one more" is probably Hoid's bead.

The quote assigns a bead to Rashek and Peter agrees with the statement that there were at least twelve (the eleven 'and at least one more') so even if you mentally change that to 'One for Hoid, one for each of the original nine allomancers and the one Elend used' you're still left with one bead that's not accounted for by Peter's statement.

Edited by Weltall

10 minutes ago, Weltall said:

The quote assigns a bead to Rashek and Peter agrees with the statement that there were at least twelve (the eleven 'and at least one more') so even if you mentally change that to 'One for Hoid, one for each of the original nine allomancers and the one Elend used' you're still left with one bead that's not accounted for by Peter's statement.

I would say that you shouldn't read too much into that quote.

The fact he didn't argue with TLR may have just been a slip. Seems more he was answering that he was aware of the fact that there was at least one additional bead of Lerasium rather than saying there were at least 12 beads. I mean there are more than likely a few unaccounted for beads. 16 would make sense. I'm just saying that specific quote is not the best evidence for it.

Could "The Lost Metal" be something that is so far back it hasn't appeared in the story at all?

It would be a bit hacky, but we do have the WoB:

mender

Was Scadrial visited by any other Shard before the events of Mistborn? If so, which one?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. Several.

source

It seems possible (but unlikely) that another shard invested itself on Scadrial at some point long in the past.  That could throw a cog in a lot of things happening, so I'm thinking it's unlikely but possible if Brandon was being sneaky with hints.

14 minutes ago, Journey Before Pancakes said:

Could "The Lost Metal" be something that is so far back it hasn't appeared in the story at all?

It would be a bit hacky, but we do have the WoB:

It seems possible (but unlikely) that another shard invested itself on Scadrial at some point long in the past.  That could throw a cog in a lot of things happening, so I'm thinking it's unlikely but possible if Brandon was being sneaky with hints.

I mean we technically don't know how long Trellium has been around. It could be that the seeds were placed there long ago.

This is 100% guess work, but...

I think there has been something in the Scadrian sun for a very long time. I think the invested mists were partially to block out the investiture from the sun. I don't think that the red beating down on Scadrial is a new thing. A symptom of Sazed's ascension is the receding of the mists. Now another shard is influencing Scadrial. In Trelagism the sun was the eye of Nalt. Trell's jealous brother. My guess would be that Trell and Nalt are both avatars of Autonomy.

2 minutes ago, Fatikis said:

I think there has been something in the Scadrian sun for a very long time. I think the invested mists were partially to block out the investiture from the sun. I don't think that the red beating down on Scadrial is a new thing. A symptom of Sazed's ascension is the receding of the mists. Now another shard is influencing Scadrial. In Trelagism the sun was the eye of Nalt. Trell's jealous brother. My guess would be that Trell and Nalt are both avatars of Autonomy.

That's a really interesting theory (though yeah, lots of speculation).  The idea of the sun here being invested by an opposing shard would add a really cool layer to the mists.

12 hours ago, Fatikis said:

I mean, this is an interesting theory, but the doctrines of Trelagism are completely different from those of Trellism, the modern version of the religion. Plus, if there was a Shard in the sun all along, I think that Ruin and Preservation would've noticed and done something about it, even despite their ongoing conflict.

10 hours ago, StrikerEZ said:

I mean, this is an interesting theory, but the doctrines of Trelagism are completely different from those of Trellism, the modern version of the religion. Plus, if there was a Shard in the sun all along, I think that Ruin and Preservation would've noticed and done something about it, even despite their ongoing conflict.

Trelagism and Trellism differing isn't really evidence against there being truth in the original religion. It is a distortion of facts over time. I don't think a shard is in the sun. Probably an avatar exploiting the weakness of Ruin being trapped and Preservation being crippled. Now Harmony is a new shard, and he can barely function. 

Edited by Fatikis

• Chaos locked this topic