What is in the skies above Threnody and Scadrial?

Invocation

1. Threnody and Scadrial are both noted as having unusally bright patches of stars in their skies. Are these two planets near to one another?
2. Did Ashyn ever have a Shard, or is its magic a natural manifestation akin to Threnody or First of the Sun?
3. As you've stated that the magic of First of the Sun is natural and independent of any particular Shard, what is the nature of the pool on Patji? Is it also a natural manifestation of magic, a Perpendicularity, or simply a pool like any other?

Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions, Brandon. I know you've always got family stuff, and writing, and all the other host of things that fill up a life to do, so it means a lot that you take the time to interact with us fans. Thank you for sharing your stories with us.

BRANDON SANDERSON (REDDIT)

1. They are both seeing the same thing, yes.
2. RAFO on Ashyn, as--being in the same system as Roshar--there are going to be some spoilers relating to Stormlight in anything I say here.
3. It's a natural manifestation, but on a much smaller scale than you might find on other worlds.

What is it? WHAT IS IT? Could it be the Invested(?) star from the system with Taldain in it? Is it Yolen? Roshar? Whatever the name of the world where Sixth of the Dusk takes place on? What do y'all think?

4 minutes ago, Invocation said:

What is it? WHAT IS IT? Could it be the Invested(?) star from the system with Taldain in it? Is it Yolen? Roshar? Whatever the name of the world where Sixth of the Dusk takes place on? What do y'all think?

On Scadrial it's the Red Rip. On Roshar it's Taln's scar. 

It's the region of red stars on the AU constellation map. 

13 minutes ago, Calderis said:

On Scadrial it's the Red Rip. On Roshar it's Taln's scar. 

It's the region of red stars on the AU constellation map. 

Is it important? Was it, perhaps, where Ambition was wounded? (i'm hunting for something cool since those are my two favorite worlds)

Edited by Invocation

42 minutes ago, Invocation said:

Is it important? Was it, perhaps, where Ambition was wounded? (i'm hunting for something cool since those are my two favorite worlds)

Ambition was wounded in the Threnodite system, and it's Investiture washed over the planet. 

We don't know where Ambition was splintered. 

Let’s look at this scientifically! Red stars have lower temperature than blue stars. The most common types of red stars are red dwarfs and red supergiants. A red dwarf is a very dim, small star. They are the most common type of star in our universe.

A red supergiant is the form a middle to large sized star takes before it dies. It is massive and luminous, but habital planets around such stars are typically destroyed or become too hot to contain liquid water after the star transforms into a red giant.

Red dwarfs have the longest lifespan of all stars, and red giants are dying stars, so a patch of red stars usually indicates older age. For more details, here’s an article: http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/about-us/98-the-universe/galaxies/observing-galaxies/552-what-do-a-galaxy-s-colors-mean-are-they-its-true-colors-intermediate

Applying this to he Cosmere, it seems that this patch of stars is much older than any other. And by older, I don’t mean in thousands or years (the timespan over which the Cosmere’s stories have taken place). Rather, it is millions, perhaps billions, of years older than the rest of the dwarf galaxy. In addition, it’s no accident that none of the shardworlds are in this part of the galaxy (according to the au map): red dwarfs and red supergiants are both poor environments for habital planets.

What’s the significance of this? Well, it seems unlikely to me that Yolen would be here because, as far as we know, it’s similar to Earth and should be orbiting a middle-sized star like our Sun. Although its possible that Yolen’s star has become a red giant, that would almost certainly kill all life on the planet.

I really don’t have many ideas what this age might indicate. Perhaps Adonalsium had a couple “waves” of star creation and this is a remnant from an older Cosmere.  Or maybe Adonalsium just let the Cosmere form on its own and it naturally formed like this. Or maybe its not actually any older and Adonalsium just made it look older. 

Crazy Theory: that entire portion of sky is in a sort of Time Bubble and is aging more quickly than the rest of the universe.

Edited by Lightspine

Yolen still exists, and still has life on it, so it is probably not orbiting a red dwarf or a red giant.

yafeshan

Is yolen still out there somewhere(for example during the events of Final empire) ? If yes, does it have still intelligent life living on it?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes and yes.

source

14 hours ago, RShara said:

Yolen still exists, and still has life on it, so it is probably not orbiting a red dwarf or a red giant.

Or it simply means it is a much, much older world, near dying stars. And if something is killing those stars, then I could understand why it freaked people out enough to consider the Shattering, or why some Shards are still set against mingling, lest it give any more strength to what panicked them in the first place. 

Perhaps the Fainlife infecting stars and worlds? 

• Chaos locked this topic