[OB] Unkalaki have Listener blood. What other races do?

NiceBleach

Oh yeah. I forgot about Herdazians. I feel like more than just Herdazians and Horneaters were being referenced in the entry. If it was only those two races, the entry would/should have said something along the lines of "the other race apart from Herdazians known to have Listener blood in their ancestry."

Additionally, do you think that "Unkalaki" having the word "kalak" in it is significant at all?

4 hours ago, NiceBleach said:

Oh yeah. I forgot about Herdazians. I feel like more than just Herdazians and Horneaters were being referenced in the entry. If it was only those two races, the entry would/should have said something along the lines of "the other race apart from Herdazians known to have Listener blood in their ancestry."

The Horneaters (and technically the Vedens since they have Horneaters ancestry) and Herdazians are the only confirmed races with Listener blood in them. The Coppermind article is most likely vague in case we learn that there are more than just those two (or three) races with Listener blood.

4 hours ago, NiceBleach said:

Additionally, do you think that "Unkalaki" having the word "kalak" in it is significant at all?

I personally don't think so; there are only so many combinations of letters that sound good together. I think that's just a coincidence. 

Edited by StrikerEZ

30 minutes ago, BitBitio said:

Horneaters also have the ability to see spren.

Some do, not all. And this is directly because of their listener blood.

Argent

On Roshar, certain people seem to be able to always see spren (Rock comes to mind). Are there people who can never see them? Similarly, can people from other worlds see them?

Brandon Sanderson

Those with Listener blood are more likely to be able to interact with spren who aren't currently trying to manifest.

If they appear on the physical realm, then they're visible to all who can see.

source

I personally think the Alethie have listener blood. Several times in the book it talks about how the alethie are very tall. obviously that is not very good evidence but there are little things in the books.

Edited by Pagerunner
Removed OB Spoilers

Previously Id never considered that it was a blending of Listener blood in the human that caused the physical variation, Id just put it down to the influence of Cultivation causing more dramatic divergent evolution.  But if the key is that some, maybe even all, of the current human tribes have at least a little Listener Blood in them, that would makes sense,be thematically appropriate, and likely play an important role in the logical Arguments I really hope somebody poses to Nale.

There's been non-zero intermarriage between groups so I suspect that some members of many if not all cultures have listener/singer blood at this point. The Horneaters and Herazians are the ethnic groups that universally have enough to be noticeable but I suspect a little exists in many people even if it isn't enough to be obvious.

On 7/16/2018 at 1:26 PM, Sun Maker said:

I personally think the Alethie have listener blood. Several times in the book it talks about how the alethie are very tall. obviously that is not very good evidence but there are little things in the books.

That might be something of substance.

Edited by NiceBleach
I forgot how OB spoilers worked.

• Greywatch changed the title to [OB] Unkalaki have Listener blood. What other races do?
  • Chaos locked this topic