A lot more bots recently?

I think it seems there are more, because for some time there were far less.  Couple of months ago I wrote a forum plugin that reduced the spam population quite radically, but as a result new members (with less than like 4 posts) weren't allowed to post ANY links in their messages (that means for example no quoting of other members). That caused a lot of complaints and Chaos decided that's not an acceptable solution and turned the plugin off. That was couple weeks ago. 

Right now I'm still trying to mobilize myself to make new plugin that'd work better for new users. 

@BitBitio the Mudkip Great, you just gave me a crack idea for a cyberpunk-esque Cosmere world where Investiture comes to those who squash spambots, trolls and other online nuisances, and comes in the form of increased ability to manipulate computers and virtual reality. I'm thinking Snow Crash's Metaverse with extra 'magical' elements.