Ask Silva Almost Anything

Silva

• 1 month later...

4 months and 12 days ago I created this thread. Now, 900 posts later, as my 999 post, I bring it back. Ask me almost anything if you'd like to.

Spoiler

And I thought it would be fun to necro something

Spoiler

and double post

Spoiler

with actual reason

Spoiler

:ph34r:

Spoiler

This spoiler chain will end

Spoiler

soon

Spoiler

soon

Spoiler

very soon

Spoiler

very very soon

Spoiler

very very very soon

Spoiler

like now

Spoiler

or not

Spoiler

maybe now?

Spoiler

Eh...

Spoiler

fine.

Spoiler

now.

Spoiler

it

Spoiler

has

Spoiler

ended

Spoiler

Spoiler

Sorry about the poor punctuation.

13 minutes ago, Nathrangking said:

If shalebark grows in a forest and no one sees it, how much does tallew cost in Azir? 

Which cosmere world is best suited for your temperament?

Favorite movie?

If not now then when?

Same as it always does. No one ever actually sees shalebark growing in a forest - standing around watching it for days would be very boring.

None. All of them have parts that I wouldn't be able to deal with. But if I had to choose one, it'd have to be Scadrial.

*actually sits and just stares at her computer screen for five minutes* Anything I type for this I just erase five seconds later. So...N/A.

Never, according to Rabbi Hillel.

38 minutes ago, Silva said:

Same as it always does. No one ever actually sees shalebark growing in a forest - standing around watching it for days would be very boring.

None. All of them have parts that I wouldn't be able to deal with. But if I had to choose one, it'd have to be Scadrial.

*actually sits and just stares at her computer screen for five minutes* Anything I type for this I just erase five seconds later. So...N/A.

Never, according to Rabbi Hillel.

Hillel doesnt *actually* say that though, does he? :P

Also he's technically Hillel the Elder, not Rabbi Hillel...right?

Edited by Delightful

4 minutes ago, Delightful said:

Hillel doesnt *actually* say that though, does he? :P

Also he's technically Hillel the Elder, not Rabbi Hillel...right?

Did anyone actually say anything we say they did? If everyone from that time period spoke like they did in gemara, it's amazing they survived.

Hillel the Elder sounds so stuffy. For his own sake I can't think of him that way.

4 minutes ago, Ookla the [your choice] said:

Did anyone actually say anything we say they did? If everyone from that time period spoke like they did in gemara, it's amazing they survived.

Hillel the Elder sounds so stuffy. For his own sake I can't think of him that way.

What do you mean its amazing they survived?

Lol. I think it sounds respectable. Rabbi Hillel sounds like a kiruv rabbi who's a fresh BT himself. Or someone whos been in Yeshiva his whole life and doesnt really know how the world works.

Edited by Delightful

On 11/25/2018 at 10:18 PM, Ookla the ingenious said:

shorthand protocol

Yeah.....if it weren't then daf yomi would take much longer than seven years.

On 11/25/2018 at 8:40 PM, Ooktapus The Fierce said:

Rabbi Hillel sounds like a kiruv rabbi who's a fresh BT himself.

I kind of see that....

On 11/25/2018 at 8:40 PM, Ooktapus The Fierce said:

Or someone whos been in Yeshiva his whole life and doesnt really know how the world works.

:lol: 

Edited by Silva

• 4 months later...
On 4/15/2019 at 10:22 PM, Ark1002 said:

If you had to choose a cosmere religion, what would it be?

There's a long answer with explanations and thought process and a short answer with just a name. Which do you want?

Okay. *takes a breath*

The long:

Spoiler

Vorinism - In Vorin religion, people believe in the Almighty, the force of good and creator of mankind. He is typically represented by the divine prism with ten facets, each for one of the Heralds. Each Herald is an emissary of the Almighty, wielding potent magical powers, as well as the ability to respond to prayers and patronage over a specific part of human experience. Vorinism typically places Jezrien and Kalak as the highest among the Heralds, with others beneath them. Occassionally, either of them are conflated with the Stormfather, who in turn is commonly equated with the Almighty himself, although this depends on the particular Vorin country.

I don’t like missionaries and Vorinism is pretty into that. Also safehands. As a lefty, I can’t condone them.

The Path - Do more good than harm.

All truth is important

Do not seek lust without commitment

See strength in all flaws

Requirement to give more than one takes

Do not waste time worshiping Harmony

Pretty nice except for the whole Harmony thing. Sazed and divine aren’t two things that work together in my head.

Church of the Survivor - The religion is based upon the exploits of Kelsier, the Survivor of Hathsin.[1] Some of the "miracles" alleged by faithful members of the religion were actually trickery using Allomancy[2] and later using a kandra. These "miracles" were part of Kelsier's master plan to upset the balance of power in the Final Empire. The religion was taken up mostly by skaa with prominent figures such as Demoux and also Elend, who joined the Church to further his position with the skaa. During the events in Urteau, the heavy influence of the Church led to the rise of the Survivor of Flames, Spook.

Hehe. Love Kelsier. Except he didn’t survive - he was truly and utterly dead after decapitation. And while TenSoon’s awesome and all, a religion based on a falsehood isn’t all that appealing.

Jaism - Jaism was founded by a single man whose name was lost to history. His followers called him "The Ja". The Ja preached discord, and for that he was murdered by a local king (probably long before the Lord Ruler). This only made his followers more zealous.

Do I even need to comment on this one? It’s pretty self-explanatory.

Larstaism - Larstaism focused on "seeking the divine" through art and creation rather than on answering existential questions or discussing the afterlife. Larsta monks were artists that were supported by the Larsta people. The Larsta left many of the descriptions of Scadrial's pre-ascension plants and animals, such as the Marewill flowers that Sazed uses to model new flora.

I’m all for artwork, but I’m also all for attempting to answer existential questions which crosses the Larsta out

Maakian - Know nothing on

If I don’t know anything, I can’t really say yes or no.

Ysperist - Know nothing on

Again, if I don’t know anything, I can’t really say yes or no.

Austrism - According to the Austrism, Austre commands the Returned to come back to life, and gives Breath to humanity.

There’s nothing outrightly bad here, but given that I don’t think I have Breath, it doesn’t seem like something applicable.

Sliverism - Revere Ironeyes

Same as some other Scadrian religions. Marsh is Marsh and will always only be Marsh to me.

Trelagism - Trelagists believed that night was sacred and daylight was profane. During the night, Trelagists were able to see the Thousand Eyes of Trell (the stars) watching over them, but during the day, Nalt, jealous of the worship given to his brother, would shine his single eye (the sun) on the land, blocking Trelagists from seeing Trell's eyes.

I like the night. I also like daytime. And I don’t like the thought of stars being eyes.

Shu-Dereth - Shu-Dereth interpreted Keseg’s teachings of unity for all mankind to mean that all men must be united beneath the rule of one nation. Dereth taught that once all men bow before a single monarch, proving their unified nature, God would come to live amongst them.[2]

The derethi believe that the souls of men who hated Jaddeth during life become Svrakiss. The Svrakiss are considered to be evil entities barred from entrance into heaven and are said to have the power to take over the bodies of living men and control their actions.[6]

When someone who followed Shu-Dereth had bad luck or a difficult time, they believed that the Svrakiss were to blame.[7][8]

The Day of Empire was a day prophesied by Wyrn when the whole world would be converted to Shu-Dereth and Jaddeth, the Derethi god, would return to Sel

They scapegoat. They’re out.

Jesker - Jesker appears to involve spirits.[4] The Dor is referred to as the Jesker "overspirit".[5] Jesker is said to look to the Dor and attempt to understand it.[6] Followers of the Jesker religion strive to bring themselves in harmony with the Dor and subsequently with nature,[7] and taught that everything knew of the Dor, except humans, who could be oblivious to it.[1] Jesker also ascribed importance to the heaven's movements, and according to Hrathen, worshipped the moon.[8]

It’s pretty nice, but the moon?

Astalsi - There were a group of people before the Ascension known as the Astalsi. They claimed that each person was born with a certain finite amount of ill luck. And so, when an unfortunate event happened, they thought themselves blessed—thereafter, their lives could only get better.

Yet these people’s religion died out. One would think that with beliefs like theirs they’d have lasted far into the Final Empire, except they didn’t. Meaning, to some extent even they doubted themselves. So why should I follow it?

Cazzi - The Cazzi are a people familiar with death, and death chants are among their beliefs. These chants are believed by the Cazzi to help free the spirits of the dead from their corpses, allowing them to return to the "mountain of souls". The Lord Ruler modeled the lives of the Skaa after the Cazzi

Death. Yeah, no thank you.

Duis - Duis is a deity worshipped in Classical Scadrial. They are known to watch over weary travellers.[1]

Nice, but not enough information.

Dadradah - The Dadradah followers were found through many countries and peoples. They believed that there was only one God, and that practicing art was the only right way to worship or draw closer to that God, being an artist even was a higher calling than being a priest. Dadradah followers had a fascination for color and hue, and were fond of poetry that described this

Same reasoning as with the Larsta.

Bennett - It was a good religion, Master Kelsier. It focused on discovery and knowledge—to these people, the making of maps was a reverent duty. They believed that once all of the world was known, understood, and catalogued, men would finally find peace and harmony.

Cartography? Also, basically all of Earth’s surface is known and we still don’t have peace and harmony. Knowledge doesn’t necessarily solve problems - sometimes it causes them.

HaDah - HaDah is a religion in the south which worships an agricultural god. Sazed gives Jed a HaDah funeral after learning he was killed by the Deepness from Teur.

There is nothing wrong with agriculture, but there’s also no application to it out of fertile places.

Pahn Kahl - The Pahn Kahl religion has similarities with the Iridescent Tones, but is more abstract and does not include worship of the Returned.[25] Rather, it involves a kind of nature worship where the storms of the Bright Sea are revered as manifestations of the unity of their five gods.[22] The Pahn Kahl believe that one of these five gods is the Voice that calls the Returned[25]. In reality, the Voice is the Shard Endowment.

Maybe if I lived in their world, though they also probably wouldn’t accept me as I wouldn’t be native to it.

Shu-Keseg - It was the precursor to the Shu-Korath and Shu-Dereth religions.[1] It was founded by a JinDo man named Keshu who preached unity of all mankind.[2] His two disciples Korath and Dereth collected his teachings in a book called the Do-Keseg. After Keshu died Korath and Dereth disagreed about how to achieve this unity. Korath thought that mankind should be united through love, whereas Derethi believed mankind should united through obediance by the rule of a single "Holy" government. This disagreement caused the schism in Shu-Keseg.

Obsolete obsolete. Refer to Shu-Korath and Shu-Dereth.

Shu-Korath - Shu-Korath was a sect of Shu-Keseg practiced mainly by the Aonic people in the nations of Teod and Arelon on Sel.[1] The Korathi worshiped a God known as Domi, a loving protector of all mankind. The religion was centered in Teod. It was lead by a man named the Patriarch, a title that was held by Seinalan.

Loving protector sounds nice, just I’m not an Aonic person in Teod or Aralon.

Steel Ministry - The Steel Ministry was the religion of the Final Empire, made up of various divisions, named Cantons, that also served as the government's bureaucracy. Obligator is the title for those who are part of the Ministry. It also contains the Inquisitors.

YES. This is it. This is the one. Bribery, Hemalurgy, violence, what more could I NOT want from a religion?

Sand Lord - The Sand Lord is worshiped as a god on the Dayside of Taldain. While belief in the Sand Lord is not universal, he is significant in Dayside culture, even among professed atheists, as people give him thanks and ask for his protection.[1]

I haven’t read all of White Sand, so I can’t really say.

Stone Shamanism - The followers of Stone Shamanism believed that stone was holy and it was profane to set foot on it.[2] Mining is a sacrilege to them and only soulcast metal can be used. This makes trading metal with them extremely profitable, though the trader needs to prove the metal is soulcast. They also believed it unholy to use gems filled with Stormlight as light sources or for ornamentation. However, the greatest of all sins was considered to be murder.

Murder=bad is something I can get behind. Except, I like walking on stone. It feels nice when barefoot.

God Beyond - The God Beyond or the Unknown God is a god that is worshipped on multiple Shardworlds.[1][2][3]

On Scadrial, Wayne mentions the God Beyond in passing.[1]

On Roshar, Hoid refers to the God Beyond in a parable while talking with Shallan.[4]

On Sel, it is referred to as the Unknown God by the MaiPon, although this is indeed the same as the God Beyond.[2] Wan ShaiLu prays to the unknown god[5], and her people relate it to the rocks that fell from the sky.[6] Additionally, in a scene from the perspective of Hoid at the back of the Elantris Tenth Anniversary Edition, Hoid refers to the Unknown God in passing.[7] It is unknown what relationship the God Beyond has to Adonalsium.

On Threnody, Silence Montane and her daughter William Ann swear to the God Beyond.[3]

They’re all over the Cosmere. They’re mentioned by Silence. I like Silence. I like this God Beyond fellow.

Then again, we also don’t know what they stand for. Or what they want. But out of all the others, this is my favorite.

The concise:

Spoiler

Not exactly a religion, but I'd choose the God Beyond.

There you go. 

Disclaimers:

1. I may have missed some religions when I went through the “Religions” section on Coppermind and copied and pasted the short “beliefs” section for each.

2. If anything said here seems like an insult at any Earth religion, I am sorry and hope you will believe me when I say that was not the intention in any way for any of them.

3. Anything else that probably should be said goes here.

20 hours ago, AonEne said:

Why are you so sane when you're surrounded by Sharders?

Can you teach me to see the future in my dreams?

1. I'm not. This is my insane side you see. Or more noticeably insane than my other sides.

2. It's not quite seeing the future so much as seeing the connections after the fact. So, no. I can't teach you to see the future in your dreams so much as try and help you learn to  notice all the crazy coincidences.

• 9 months later...

Why do I agree with so much of what Aderet says when you think she's awful? :P 

What is your favorite word in Hebrew? 

Of Yin, Tacet, and Dove, which NPC family is your favorite? 

Do you prefer the Acutes or the Wereds? 

Tournament-style, of the last two answers which is your favorite? 

On 2/5/2020 at 2:51 PM, AonEne said:

Why do I agree with so much of what Aderet says when you think she's awful? :P 

What is your favorite word in Hebrew? 

Of Yin, Tacet, and Dove, which NPC family is your favorite? 

Do you prefer the Acutes or the Wereds? 

Tournament-style, of the last two answers which is your favorite? 

1. It's the thing where the villain has the traits the author dislikes in themself. I really only hate her because she's so much like how I act IRL. Insufferable, but makes good points. ^_^

2. That's tough. Maybe לעלות (la-ah-lote), to go up. Or חן (chein), favor/grace. Both are nice.

3. All of them are wonderful in their own ways, you know? The Yins and the Tacets both took in this mess of a girl and loved her. The Doves were great in their own way. I guess the Tacets maybe? 

4. This one's easier. Acutes. Every time. I love the Wereds too; they just aren't as individual as the Acutes since they haven't been around as long as their cousins.

5. Ah!!!!! Ene, why? Acutes, though. Inden, Nola, Pry, Light, Precious, Freedom, Unity, Brethren, Dawn, Lineage, Compile, Warmer, and Eon--I storming know them all by heart. Is that sad? :lol: