General info on shards

FirstSelector

I will put up a 17th Shard vocabulary to make sure it isn't confused. And if a better term (or a canon term) comes along, we will switch to that. But at the moment, Shardholder is the most concise.

Just thought I'd toss in my thoughts on this, even though I don't expect them to change how things operate.

Reading the thread, all I could think of is how limited the English language seems to be, since we don't have a term that could easily encompass the things debated. (Spiritual vs. Cognitive, f'r example.) Wouldn't it be nice, I thought, if there were a term that incorporated Spirit and Intellect (since that's the debated part, as the Physical part of the holder kinda goes AFK for a bit, being replaced by the Shard's Physical aspect).

And it hit me.

Geist.

"Geist" is a German word which is most frequently translated as "ghost", which is synonymous with "spirit". "Geist" can also be used to mean "intellect".

But then I realized that I'm probably the only person to whom "Shardgeist" sounds cool. :-/

/shrug

Geist does sound really cool, and as a general rule I think borrowing from other languages to fill English's inadequacies is a good thing.

However, the problem with 'geist' is that the primary meaning understood in English is 'ghost', and that is not the meaning we want to convey. After all, Shardholders both corporeal and non-corporeal.

Sorry, we're sticking with Shardholder.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Old topic, but reading through and had an idea... What if it was categorized like this - (person's name) holder of (shard name) ex. Ati bound to the shard Ruin. The "holder of" or "bound to" part could be changed to more canon or agreeable wording. It would be easy then to put a link to the person name and shard name. together and separate reference to the same thing. I hope this makes sense.

• 5 weeks later...

Is it time to just throw random ideas out now? I'll give it a go.

Shardwearer, Shardactor, Shardhandler, Shardcarrier, Shardwalker, Shardferry, Shardmanipulator.

I know, some of those are horrible. Just brainstorming, and 'Shard' is kinda loosing all meaning in my head right about now.

...and that was way more fun than it should have been. :P

• 4 months later...
  • 6 years later...

I just call someone who has ownership of a shard a "vessel", because (if I remember correctly)

MISTBORN BOOK 3 SPOILERS:

Spoiler

Vin is referred to as 'vessel of preservation' in hero of ages when she takes up the shard.

Sorry for thread necro, but I figured I could add some relevant information

1 hour ago, Nohadon said:

I just call someone who has ownership of a shard a "vessel", because (if I remember correctly)

MISTBORN BOOK 3 SPOILERS:

Reveal hidden contents

Vin is referred to as 'vessel of preservation' in hero of ages when she takes up the shard.

Sorry for thread necro, but I figured I could add some relevant information

Considering the first paragraph of the page on Shards, I doubt it's that useful:

"The Shards of Adonalsium, or Shards for short, are pieces of the power of creation itself.[2] They are named after a specific action or ideal, often referred to as an "intent," which represents the Shard's primary purpose or motivation. A mind must control a Shard. When a person holds a Shard, they are imbued with its power, but they also become the Shard.[3] A person who has taken up the power of a Shard is the Vessel of that Shard.[4]"

• Chaos locked this topic