Newcomer to the series

StrikerEZ

2 minutes ago, goody153 said:

You're not even close to half of the world building yet lol 

So i guess you'll be pleased of the clusterstorm that is mid-late series.

Oh, I know that. Which is why I'm so excited for this series. I really wish I'd started it sooner.

@StrikerEZ Haha, what did you think of the book in and of itself? It's a favourite for quite a few people for the worldbuilding, and for good reason ^^ And from what I remember of the audiobooks (it's been a while since I read them...) it's pronounced "Rew-id-ee-an" or "Rew-id-ee-ahn/ohn"

Edited by ScarletSabre

6 hours ago, ScarletSabre said:

@StrikerEZ Haha, what did you think of the book in and of itself? It's a favourite for quite a few people for the worldbuilding, and for good reason ^^ And from what I remember of the audiobooks (it's been a while since I read them...) it's pronounced "Rew-id-ee-an" or "Rew-id-ee-ahn/ohn"

The book was really good. I looooooved Perrin's arc in the Two Rivers. That struggle of wanting to save the people, but not wanting to become a leader. Perrin Goldeneyes does have a good ring to it though. The end of the book with Rand was freaking glorious. I love how Rand is finally getting the hang of being the Dragon Reborn and was able to trick two Forsaken. Also, what the heck happened with Mat in Rhuidean? I wish there was more of him. He seems so interesting, but he just doesn't get enough spotlight. Also, Elayne and Nynaeve (sp?) had a really cool thing going on in Tanchico, and Egeanin was so interesting (also, I've started the fifth book-where the heck is Egeanin? Did I miss something at the end of the fourth book?).

This book was definitely my favorite so far.

@StrikerEZ, I'm also going through the series for the first time right now, and you can do it! the "Slump" isn't too bad when you're reading in rapid succession. I also am a huge Perrin fan, and sadly his arc is the one that suffers the most during the slump. Fires of Heaven is gonna blow you away.

18 hours ago, Wyndlerunner said:

@StrikerEZ, I'm also going through the series for the first time right now, and you can do it! the "Slump" isn't too bad when you're reading in rapid succession. I also am a huge Perrin fan, and sadly his arc is the one that suffers the most during the slump. Fires of Heaven is gonna blow you away.

That's book 5 right? It's pretty good so far. I'm about halfway through right now.

Edited by StrikerEZ

4 hours ago, Wyndlerunner said:

Yeah, that's book 5. I really enjoyed it, but the ending shook me.

Oh, good. I love it when books do that to me. Is it like the thing in OB, near the middle? If you don't know what I'm talking about, PM me.

2 hours ago, StrikerEZ said:

Oh, good. I love it when books do that to me. Is it like the thing in OB, near the middle? If you don't know what I'm talking about, PM me.

Oooh, please document what you think about what's happening whenever something like that happens ^^ I'd love to hear your reaction to certain points, and you can put the events themselves in spoiler tags, haha!

11 hours ago, ScarletSabre said:

Oooh, please document what you think about what's happening whenever something like that happens ^^ I'd love to hear your reaction to certain points, and you can put the events themselves in spoiler tags, haha!

So, ah, first event I'll make a comment about:

I've been waiting so long for Rand and Aviendha to hook up, I'm so excited it finally happened!

@ScarletSabre 

Spoiler

Holy rust. I just finished book 5. Did Asmodean really die? Did Moiraine really die? I’m so confused and also so very excited for the next book. Kinda sad that there was no Perrin, but Rand was so storming interesting and the tidbits of Mat were worth it. 

Favorite book so far, but I’ve said that about all of them once I’ve finished them lol.

You wanted my reactions. 

1 hour ago, StrikerEZ said:

@ScarletSabre 

Hide contents

Holy rust. I just finished book 5. Did Asmodean really die? Did Moiraine really die? I’m so confused and also so very excited for the next book. Kinda sad that there was no Perrin, but Rand was so storming interesting and the tidbits of Mat were worth it. 

Favorite book so far, but I’ve said that about all of them once I’ve finished them lol.

You wanted my reactions. 

Haha, indeed I did, and they were pretty much what I expected ^_^

To answer a couple of your questions...

Spoiler

Yup, they're dead. And see if you can figure out who killed Asmodean! It was something that divided and puzzled the fandom for YEARS until the answer was finally revealed, if I remember correctly, in a footnote for the WoT guide...

And that tends to be the way for most people XD

Haha, care to give any predictions or expectations/hopes for what's happening to the characters going forwards? ^^ And please keep up the thoughts and reactions! They're enjoyable to read!

6 hours ago, ScarletSabre said:

Haha, indeed I did, and they were pretty much what I expected ^_^

To answer a couple of your questions...

Hide contents

Yup, they're dead. And see if you can figure out who killed Asmodean! It was something that divided and puzzled the fandom for YEARS until the answer was finally revealed, if I remember correctly, in a footnote for the WoT guide...

And that tends to be the way for most people XD

Haha, care to give any predictions or expectations/hopes for what's happening to the characters going forwards? ^^ And please keep up the thoughts and reactions! They're enjoyable to read!

Spoiler

Noooooooooooo. Asmodean was actually one of my favorites. I'm so sad. Is it a spoiler for later books who killed Asmodean? Doesn't Alcatraz make a joke about it?

Um...I'm hoping Nynaeve can stop being annoying. <_< She definitely go better in book 5, but she still has a long way to go, in my opinion. I also really want to see more Perrin. I missed him in this book. I really want to see more Rand and Aviendha and how Elayne and Min react to their relationship thing that's going on. Did we ever find out who Slayer is in book 4? I wanna know who he is still. Why didn't the other Forsaken attack Rand when he showed up in Caemlyn? Oh wait, no, the trap was with Sammael, nevermind. So, there's only 7 Forsaken left. What are all of their names? 

I can't think of anything else off the top of my head.

You'll get plenty of Perrin, don't worry, especially during the Plotline of Doom xD

As for who killed -SPOILER-

Spoiler

I'm fairly sure Alcatraz does, haha, and there should be a thread somewhere on the site entitled "HOID killed Asmodean" XD He was a lot of people's favourite, actually, the guy wanted immortality to just chill and compose and listen to music forever... Fairly relatable, despite him being an amoral piece of chull dung.

As for Slayer... A little bit of spoilers about who he is, but not about his story etc.

Spoiler

We never TRULY find out all about him, and we don't find most, or at least some of the more interesting things, until waaaaaay later in the books. What we do learn leaves a lot of questions, sadly, but you'll see bits and pieces as it goes on, especially with Perrin!

And for the Forsaken... If I remember correctly we still have... (My spelling may be a bit off since I've only listened to the audiobooks)

Spoiler

Mohgedian, Grendaal, Demandred.... I forget the rest xD But there are three for ya!

2 hours ago, ScarletSabre said:

As for who killed -SPOILER-

Reveal hidden contents
Spoiler

Yeah, I'm not really surprised Asmodean is a fan favorite. I personally like amoral pieces of chull dung, so that explains why I like him so much lol.

I just want to know why Jordan decided he needed to be killed off, because that was so random and annoying.

Oh, I know. I've heard that a lot of Perrin comes with the slog that is books 7-10. 

12 hours ago, StrikerEZ said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Yeah, I'm not really surprised Asmodean is a fan favorite. I personally like amoral pieces of chull dung, so that explains why I like him so much lol.

I just want to know why Jordan decided he needed to be killed off, because that was so random and annoying.

Oh, I know. I've heard that a lot of Perrin comes with the slog that is books 7-10. 

Asmodean was well-liked ? I literally did not care what happened to him. I guess i did root for him since i wanted an example that a person who turned to the DO can still go back to the light (Stormlight Archives redemption style)

It's a slog on perrin's part. I did like reading about the rest tho

2 hours ago, goody153 said:

Asmodean was well-liked ? I literally did not care what happened to him. I guess i did root for him since i wanted an example that a person who turned to the DO can still go back to the light (Stormlight Archives redemption style)

It's a slog on perrin's part. I did like reading about the rest tho

I think Asmodean was liked by a lot of people as someone to finally teach Rand what the hell he was doing with Saidin, and being almost 100% (albeit unwillingly) on his side, while everyone else was trying to twist him one way or another, or bully him etc.

17 hours ago, ScarletSabre said:

I think Asmodean was liked by a lot of people as someone to finally teach Rand what the hell he was doing with Saidin, and being almost 100% (albeit unwillingly) on his side, while everyone else was trying to twist him one way or another, or bully him etc.

Spoiler

Well he was alot less sketchier than Taim for sure despite being a forsaken lmao. He certainly did not look like he was trying to look for opportunities to betray Rand or take power away from him.

Yeah he was one of the few who actually supports Rand at the time before his death.

On 7/22/2018 at 11:19 PM, StrikerEZ said:

@ScarletSabre 

Reveal hidden contents

You wanted my reactions. 

Yeah. The docks shook me pretty bad. Particularly since she was a fave of mine.

On 7/16/2018 at 5:51 AM, StrikerEZ said:

Damnation. I hope Asmodean is a cool character in the rest of the series.

*cackles*

I was fond of the 'theory' (joke) that Bela was the perpetrator (as well as the independent one that Bela is a darkfriend).

One thing that made the meandering books more fun for me during my second and last read-through in 2011--2014 was reading Leigh Butler's Wheel of Time Reread in sync with the chapters in the books, but of course that's going to be filled with spoilers for you.  I see there is an ongoing Reading The Wheel of Time series by Sylas K Barrett that might be interesting, though he seems to be going at a pace of six months or so per book.  I've only read a couple of his posts so far.

1 hour ago, daschaich said:

*cackles*

I was fond of the 'theory' (joke) that Bela was the perpetrator (as well as the independent one that Bela is a darkfriend).

One thing that made the meandering books more fun for me during my second and last read-through in 2011--2014 was reading Leigh Butler's Wheel of Time Reread in sync with the chapters in the books, but of course that's going to be filled with spoilers for you.  I see there is an ongoing Reading The Wheel of Time series by Sylas K Barrett that might be interesting, though he seems to be going at a pace of six months or so per book.  I've only read a couple of his posts so far.

You don't have to rub his death in my face. <_<

Spoiler

Is Asmodean that weird guy that was reborn in a new body and is now named after a knife?

Yeah, I'm not touching any reading/rereading posts. I'd rather not get myself spoiled.

I was reading the books at a pretty fast pace, but now that marching season has started I probably won't finish the series until next year.

@StrikerEZ What book are you reading now ? Have you reached LoC ? 

7 hours ago, daschaich said:

Shut your mouth. Bela is purest and greatestest. In fact she should be called the "Great Lord" than that upstart Dark One.

Well, I too liked that character.  There was just so much argument and speculation over the years about who had killed him and in what way that your earlier comment amused me enormously.

Your hidden suggestion is a possibility, though not the only one.  Also, there are two new characters named after knives... I recall the history of one of them being pretty straightforward to guess from their initial introduction scene.

6 hours ago, StrikerEZ said:

Yeah, I'm not touching any reading/rereading posts. I'd rather not get myself spoiled.

I expected as much, though I'm confident Sylas's "Reading" series will be spoiler-free.  At the time of each post he only seems to be a few chapters further ahead in the book under discussion.  (His most recent post is "Eight Questions I Hope to Have Answered by The Great Hunt".)  Although I don't read the comments, some quick glances show good restraint about spoilers.

Even though you've already read The Eye of the World and then some, it might be interesting/fun to read his commentary and see if he points out anything you might have overlooked.  On my first read of The Eye of the World, for example, I completely missed the part where Mer(ri)lin tells the farmboy about the Sword in the Stone---even the bit in chapter 34 about "The Dragon is one with the land... and the land is one with the Dragon" didn't clue me in.

@goody153 Yes, I'm reading LoC right now.

55 minutes ago, daschaich said:

Well, I too liked that character.  There was just so much argument and speculation over the years about who had killed him and in what way that your earlier comment amused me enormously.

Your hidden suggestion is a possibility, though not the only one.  Also, there are two new characters named after knives... I recall the history of one of them being pretty straightforward to guess from their initial introduction scene.

Maybe I'm clueless, but I wasn't quite sure who the male knife person was supposed to be. Unless their identity is some sort of spoiler, could you just tell me who they are?