Cosmere Question

Arthraxes

Question

Hi guys!  I've been reading Brandon's work ever since he was chosen as the one to finish The Wheel of Time.  I'm only just recently getting into the fandom, so forgive me if my question has been asked and answered already.  I don't have a lot of time to pour over all the great theories and WoBs out there.

Has anyone ever asked Brandon if the dwarf galaxy/star cluster that the books take place in is the full extent of the Cosmere, or if there is more to it outside of that galaxy?  I ask because it makes me wonder about the reach of Adonalsium's power.  If the Cosmere is larger, is Adonalsium's (and the Shards') influence limited to this particular galaxy?  Are there OTHER Adolnasiums out there acting in other galaxies?  And if Adnolasium's reach extends to other galaxies, are the Shards acting there as well and being influenced by events taking place there?  Thanks for entertaining my wildly wandering thoughts!

Edited by Arthraxes

6 answers to this question

Technically, (at least according to Peter, which is a pretty safe bet), Cosmere is a small star cluster inside of another galaxy.

As for the rest of the question, I think using the knowledge that the Cosmere occurs inside of a galaxy doesn't really have many greater implications.  As far as I can tell, the term "Cosmere" refers to the area where the shards inhabit and where their interactions take place.  If Adonalsium had any effect outside of the Cosmere, it's likely insignificant to the story and we wouldn't learn anything about it.

Personally, I'm okay with that.  There needs to be some limit on the scope of the story, it's definitely quite ambitious already.

On 7/9/2018 at 9:06 AM, Wandering Investor said:

WHAT Do you know how long I've been looking for evidence of what's outside the cosmere?!?! Neat, although its kinda confusing why the shards would stick around.

Could it be perhaps for power purposes? Kind of like how on Sel the investiture has gotten to the point where the land is inundated and shapes how it is used, Adonalsium spending a lot of time around this area of the galaxy could have done the same and maybe the Shards would be less powerful should they go beyond it?

8 hours ago, Invocation said:

Could it be perhaps for power purposes? Kind of like how on Sel the investiture has gotten to the point where the land is inundated and shapes how it is used, Adonalsium spending a lot of time around this area of the galaxy could have done the same and maybe the Shards would be less powerful should they go beyond it?

The power of the shards being bound to one area of the galaxy is possible. But to clarify, when Investiture is connected to a planet (the mechanics of which are not entirely understood) that Investiture cannot physically leave the planet, not that it gets any weaker the farther it goes. Spren for instance cannot currently go to far from Roshar, at least in the cognitive realm, but chilling at the boundary of where they can go will not make them any weaker than if they were on Roshar, assuming they have stormlight. Shards however can, through great effort supposedly, de-invest themselves from a planet and move around, so it would be odd if they couldn't do the same with the star cluster they're in, although we don't know the rules so it is possible. 

2 hours ago, Wandering Investor said:

The power of the shards being bound to one area of the galaxy is possible. But to clarify, when Investiture is connected to a planet (the mechanics of which are not entirely understood) that Investiture cannot physically leave the planet, not that it gets any weaker the farther it goes. Spren for instance cannot currently go to far from Roshar, at least in the cognitive realm, but chilling at the boundary of where they can go will not make them any weaker than if they were on Roshar, assuming they have stormlight. Shards however can, through great effort supposedly, de-invest themselves from a planet and move around, so it would be odd if they couldn't do the same with the star cluster they're in, although we don't know the rules so it is possible. 

The Investiture might not be weakened on a micro level, but we don't know if that holds true to the macro levels of the Shards as well.

It could also be that outside the area is stuff that the Shards and Adonalsium don't/didn't care about, yes?