Deep Ones in Shadows for Silence

Crucible of Shards

Question

7 answers to this question

Patji fhtagn!

But more seriously, they're some sort of aquatic predator that can apparently track prey from their Cognitive presence but are not immune to what passes for state of the art weaponry on First of the Sun. So... not entirely unlike Cthulhu who could be defeated by being rammed by a boat, except without the resurrective immortality part of the deal that made his temporarly defeat kind of irrelevant.

13 hours ago, Weltall said:

Patji fhtagn!

But more seriously, they're some sort of aquatic predator that can apparently track prey from their Cognitive presence but are not immune to what passes for state of the art weaponry on First of the Sun. So... not entirely unlike Cthulhu who could be defeated by being rammed by a boat, except without the resurrective immortality part of the deal that made his temporarly defeat kind of irrelevant.

I'm talking about in Shadows for Silence, not Sixth of the Dusk. I get the impression that they are relat to Shades, but I'm not sure.

1 minute ago, Wandering Investor said:

I do not recall any mention of Deep Ones and a search doesn't show any in the Arcanum. Would you be able to quote the mention?

Pretty sure they meant the "Deepest ones" which is a throw away line that sounds like some kind of mega shade. 

On 7/7/2018 at 1:08 PM, Crucible of Shards said:

I'm talking about in Shadows for Silence, not Sixth of the Dusk. I get the impression that they are relat to Shades, but I'm not sure.

Awwww, silly reality ruining my joke... but in seriousness that's an Oops Moment on my part where I didn't check the topic title carefully. Like Calderis says, the context is Silence worrying that the recent activity would draw the attention of 'one of the Deepest Ones' so it certainly sounds like an even nastier version of the regular Shades, but something that still operates within the framework of the Simple Rules.

We might get more details in the planned Threnody novella. If not, someone could always ask Brandon but a quick perusal of Arcanum suggests that almost every question he's already been asked about the book boils down to 'Where's Hoid?!' or other broader Cosmere topics, so there's not much by way of existing WoBs to work with.

2 hours ago, Calderis said:

Pretty sure they meant the "Deepest ones" which is a throw away line that sounds like some kind of mega shade. 

Found it, thanks!

Definitely sounds like the deep ones enforce the simple rules like the shades. So maybe an older/super shade. My intuition says it could be a different type of cognitive shadow though as nothing about the shades makes it sound like they would stay in deep places, but not much evidence to go on.